:argh: Writing to Mac HFS volume from Windows 7 using HFS v9 causes drive fail

Discussion in 'HFS for Windows' started by sinoue, Oct 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sinoue

sinoue Registered Member

Okay I've repeated this issue twice so I know there is an issue that I hope Paragon will investigate.

Until then I would recommend anyone using a SOny HDV camera and Sony's PMB bundled software to NOT write their files directly to a HFS volume.

Issue:
    Mac Pro running Mac OS X 10.8.2 uses several internal Hitachi 3TB drives formatted HFS+ Journaled. I boot Mac Pro using boot camp into Windows 7 64 bit version in order to connect my Sony HDV SR-11 camera and copy the movies and still images to my internal drives. Sony's PMB (Picture Motion Browser) only runs on Windows and not Mac. After copying the files everything appears fine under Windows, but when I reboot back to my Mac I get the message that the Media drive I copied the files too is damaged. I get prompted to use Apple's Disk Utility. A repair results in the message that the drive is readable, but that it needs to be reformatted. The files I copied plus several other recent files are now damaged, with no thumbnail and are now unopenable.

I've rebuilt this drive. I've swapped out with a new drive. But if I use Paragon HFS v9.0 under Windows 7 64 bit to write to a Mac HFS+ Journaled volume using Sony Picture Motion Browser to copy stills or video I can recreate this problem.

I'm going to spend the next day or so rebuilding the drive and trying to isolate the corrupted photos and videos of my kids and kicking myself for not having a more recent backup for the lost images.

If Paragon has any advice let me know. For now I've updated to the latest 9.05 version. I think I'll only use Sony PMB on NTFS drives until I've heard you've identified the issue and have a fix.

Hopefully this post will help others avoid the perils of lost data...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.