argh big trouble for me

Discussion in 'ten-forward' started by Detox, Feb 1, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Well, still really don't think its hardware.

Anyway they said they couldn't believe the power supply was even still working and it has been sent back to the factory and a new one installed under warranty.

They can't figure the software issue really; seems they got it to boot normal with lowest graphics settings and couldn't get it to take a new video driver and if they turned graphicsup it all went to hell again.

Anyway the tech (who is new; wasnt there when they built my machine) also felt the gig of RAM was bad idea with Win98SE and said even tweaked it prolly wouldnt use more then 700 something MB at a time - and not very efficiently. I expressed my disappointment in the fact the shop told me whenthey built it that it would all work fine... anyway I asked him about win2000 and he said it would fit my machine much better - use all the ram and much more efficiently and be a lot more stable; so I should have the machine back in a few hours with win2000 and we're pretty sure all my data will be intact :p

2. tommie_tt

tommie_tt Registered Member

Hello Detox
    Glad to hear of the expected good outcome!
    I was following your thread with interest and even though I could not contribute a valid suggestion I was rooting for you to pull through especially seeing how Joosk tried to help you and hung in there with you.
    Patience, my friend and good luck.

Regards,
    Tommie.

3. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

hey thanks! I am on the mean machine again now and win2k seems wonderful; hadda reinstall Sygate PF and AVG to make em run again; and next I'm trying to remember how to make proxomitron the weapon of choice for IE - and also look up SPYAD for reiunstallation - otherwise everything seems to be going very smooth! all the data is here and things seem to be better than new!

Even though we never really figured out what was wrong (shop just said something went wacko in Windows; happens sometimes you cant hardly pinpoint it) I really appreciate the willingness to help, the good advice that everyone offered and especially the patience on top of all that that Jooske has shown!

I asked the shop about watercooling to avoid the dust - guess what? They suggest that I open it up and use a hose attachment on a vacuum to suck all the dust out once a month. I told them some people said that was abad idea and they said "BS" basically.

4. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

OMG OMG Detox !

Do not use vacuum cleaner in any circumstanses ! It is out of question man ! I am going through computer electrician course and my teacher told he killed some component too with vacuum cleaner. Buy compressed air in aerosol cans if you like puters. Do not use hair dryer either, it´s even worse. That´s why I asked you to try "Pc-Check" feature, it shows if any of your computers components got the end. I wish you do try it atleast. The feature is filled up tests.

nice weekends ^Ari^

5. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

I appreciated your advice too Kristy but there was no hardware problems; it's all working perfectly now! I suppose more research can be done into the vacuum issue because some say its bad but I also have met lots of peopl who do it all the time and this is a successful custom pc shop that recommended the process as well.

6. FanJ

FanJ Guest

Hi Detox,

Congratulations !!!!!!!!!!!!
    Man, I'm happy for you !!!!!

7. root

root Registered Member

For what its worth.
    I was an electronics technician in the Navy and Civil Service for 17 years. I worked on everything from Naval Aviation Electronics to NASA Radars and Telemetry. Did quite a bit of assembly and troubleshooting for undersea Warfare on the Nukes at Keyport Wa. While there I was trained in soldering and assembly techniques that met NASA standards for working on manned orbital avionics.

There is a thing called ESD, Electro Static Discharge, that is taken very seriously by the Government and all major electronics manufacturers.
    ESD is the shock you get from touching the car door when its hot and dry or from walking across a carpet and touching a door knob.
    It can be generated by everything from a piece of paper, to moving air. In Electronics Assembly areas I used to use air nozzles that generated ionized air flow by using a slightly radioactive material, and it was free from ESD
    When ESD occurs, a spark may leave your fingertip or a vacuum hose and jump to a component on a printed circuit board that is several thousands of volts strong. You may not notice anything for a while, but what might happen is a small spot on a trace or junction may have arched and that damaged place will deteriorate over a short period of time.
    CMOS components (your BIOS chip) are extremely susceptable to ESD. They can be destroyed by one little spark.
    Detox, and others, I believe you can find cans of ionized air for use on electronics at some of the better electronics stores.
    Whenever you are working on a computer, if you do not have a grounding strap, it is advisable to remove the side cover, with the power off, but still plugged in. Touch the metal case of the power supply to ground yourself. Try not to move your feet around a lot after that, and don't wear your kinky little nylon jammies while working on your computer.
    Like I said, for what its worth.

8. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

Err first off sorry about the "Kristy" int he previous post I just saw it and it was an accident Krusty!

2nd - I won;t say there's nothing to the static idea about vacuums; yet I get mixed ideas of it in different places. I am not sure I understand why compressed air wouldn't make any static; even if ionized I think it will still make static upon contact with the regular air in the environment. Another thought; its still cold (for Texas anyway) around here and the heater still runs creating drier air than usual.

Anyway I want to make it clear I'm not arguing with anyone about it I really can;t be sure myself I am just curious enough that I really want to know 100% for sure...

Anyway root how the heck did you know about my little nylon jammieso_O

9. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

this page also recommends a vacuum for motherboard cleaning - http://www.computerhope.com/cleaning.htm

10. Tinribs

Tinribs Registered Member

Glad you got it sorted Detox, hassles like that we could all do without.

Its not so bad when you know it was X that is the culprit, but head scratching without a definite culprit is a pain.
    At least its ok now :)

Kev

11. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

Well done Detox, Glad you have it sorted!
    Now you can have fun securing W2K.
    One suggestion, if you have not already done it, is never log on as admin unless you are actually doing an admin function - So surfing, game playing etc. use an ordinary user account & disable guest accounts, especially if you are on a network :D I should have added also make a "strong" admin password that uses not just letters.

12. eyespy

eyespy Registered Member

Detox,
    glad to hear all is fine.
    BTW...Win2K is an excellent choice. Your gonna' wish you had it from the beginning !!
    As for the Vacuuming of PC components...I've never had any probs with it. Been using that method for a couple of years. I also use a small air compressor (regulated) sometimes as well .
    regards,
    bill ;)

13. tommie_tt

tommie_tt Registered Member

Hello Detox,
    Make your backup right now if you haven't done so already!!
    About static electricity and computers:- it only takes less than 75 MICROVOLTS to knock out your CMOS,CPU.By the time you see a spark or feel the shock it is several thousand VOLTS!
    So long as you have ANY clothing on your legs or arms and simply move them one time so that friction is created you build up static electricity in hundreds of volts.A dry atmosphere in the room and dust takes that up tp thousands of volts.

I cannot address vacuuming or not but would suggest you err on the side of caution and use what is KNOWN to be safe--a can of compressed air.
    You have an expensive set up,take good care of it!

(I work on my comp.naked next to the kitchen sink and touch the pipe everytime before touching any part of the board!)

Regards
    Tommie

14. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

:eek:

To avoid trouble with the neighbours, you could consider an ESD wrist strap.

Regards,

Pieter

Attached Files:

15. Pilli

Pilli Registered Member

:D Pieter, He should be OK as long as the cam is attached to the top of his head :cool:

Now where to attach the strap? ....

16. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

The length of the strap is adjustable. ;)

17. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

darn you guys gave me a big smile :D

18. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

lmao

Yeah I need a wrist strap thing I suppose and I'll check into the compressed air ass error on the side of precaution is indeed the way to go... Thing is; compressed air will just blow the stuff everywhere - yuck!

19. *Ari*

*Ari* Registered Member

Hi

Do it outside near by your neighbor :D

20. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

naked outside? hmmm hafta keep working on this....

21. Jooske

Jooske Registered Member

Glad to see you happy again Detox, with the repaired and upgraded computer and new maintenancing to please the neighborhood.
    As you love games get some msagents desktophelpers, voicecontrolled starting your favorite games, commenting other users while making your bed, coffee, calling the local dinner service etc.

22. Detox

Detox Retired Moderator

hehehe Why do I get the feeling I'm being made fun of ;-P

Seriously I have to say I really like this Win2k if nothing else man the thing shuts down properly when I tell it to! It might take a little while but it does it! and all on its own! YIPEE!!

23. JimIT

JimIT Registered Member

What a visual! :D :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.