Are You Still Using Windows XP?

Discussion in 'polls' started by appster, Mar 8, 2015.

?

Are You Still Using Windows XP?

1. Yes, because of legacy PC support issues with Windows Vista/7/8

6.9%
  2. Yes, because I simply prefer Windows XP to Windows Vista/7/8

12.1%
  3. Yes, because of another reason (please reveal in post)

21.6%
  4. No, I replaced/upgraded my legacy PC with Windows Vista/7/8

41.4%
  5. No, I switched from Windows XP to Linux

7.8%
  6. No, other (please reveal in post)

10.3%
  1. Reality

Reality Registered Member

@wtsinnc, thanks for your suggestions. When I got my computer (custom made for me) I made sure I got the genuine install disks but Im a bit hazy on OEMs. My understanding is when you have an OS installed at the shop it's an OEM and cannot legally be used on another computer... is that correct? If that's the case then how would restoring from an image work on another computer even using I&R software that does it to "dissimilar hardware"?

2. Compu KTed

Compu KTed Registered Member

Started out on XP machine and has been main OS, but have Linux also available. I went the route
    of hardening the OS with reg tweaks, some SRP rules and disabling unnecessary Windows services.
    PM browser is sandboxed and hardened from default settings. Image backups in case I need to restore.
    Kept security software apps to minimum, but use layered approach. This way I try to avoid
    compatibility/conflict issues, reduce the attack surface and redundancy.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2015
  3. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Yes, only as a VirtualBox guest machine for compatibility and testing purposes. Also happens to be the fastest fully-featured virtual machine VBox can run I believe.

4. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

No, I replaced with Seven and I'm waiting for 10. But if I won't like 10 I will switch to Linux. I used it for a long time as second OS.

5. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

I've been able to restore an XP Home SP-2 and XP Pro SP-2 images created from my Dell Dimension E510 to a Dell Optiplex 755 which I purchased used with XP Pro SP-3 installed. The first two or three times, I was sent through the process of confirming that my copy of windows was authentic.
    After that, no more "Genuine Advantage" process- just restore and go. Actually, I was a bit surprised it went that smoothly.
    So, the brand of computer was the same but everything else was different. Between my Dimension and the Optiplex, all hardware was different; the MB, CPU, RAM (brand/speed/amount of), video card, and optical drive.
    I have not tried the other way around- the XP Pro image from the Optiplex to my Dimension E510.
    Didn't want to, but it is something I thought about. It might be something to try, but only just to know.

6. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

I still have XP on one of my computers that I rarely use. I don't have any security concerns due to it running XP. If I used it more than occasionally then I would consider upgrading, since it's cheap to do so. For example, I purchased a Vista license a few days ago for $15. Many people hate Vista. I don't, and think it is a massive improvement over XP, except for two major issues which are also present in more recent Windows version.

7. ghodgson

ghodgson Registered Member

Running Virtual XP mode within WIN 7 64 bit because I have some older progs that won't run on 64 bit machine.

8. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

No, I switched to Windows 7.

Built 4 new computers and gave away the XP computers.

9. ArchiveX

ArchiveX Registered Member

Windows 8.1 x64, here.

10. MisterB

MisterB Registered Member

I'm still using Xp daily on a couple of machines including this one I've dedicated forum posting. The security setup is basically the same it has been for the last ten years. Never any problems. Of course, the rewards for breaching the security on this machine are fairly minimal. Worst case scenario is that they get my Wilders password and start posting as me.:rolleyes:

I've just set up a couple Windows 7 machines and have Vista on a couple of others. After all the bad press and years after it came out, I got a laptop with Vista and didn't find it all that bad. It is very close to Windows 7, just not as fast or slick but it has classic start menu. I don't use Windows 8 but I would if I got something that came with it but I've never been in a hurry to upgrade. I continued to use Windows NT4 well into the XP era.

I'm somewhat of a digital nomad and keep shifting what I'm doing around to different computers and OSes. Hardware is cheap these days.

11. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

I stopped using XP quite a long time ago, although I can't recollect exactly how long.
    It's still installed on two old boxes that just sit side-by-side on a wire rack, but they never get turned on.
    I fully intend to wipe those drives and part the old machines out. They are just taking up space.
    Windows 7 Ultimate is giving me what I need, computer-wise.

12. MisterB

If you are restoring a Dell Oem image that is from an original Dell Oem installation or restore media, it should be activated even if it is on another Dell computer. If it is a retail Xp installation or was activated with the product key on the computer's COA, it will have to be reactivated if it is not on the same computer. Retail product keys usually let you move the system around several times but you have to call Microsoft to reactivate on a different system. Oem product keys only can be used once but you can reactivate a fresh install of Windows on the same machine. The bios based activation that manufacturers used for the original installation uses the same product key for every installation done by that manufacturer and will be activated on any of that manufacturer's machines that have the right bios.

13. appster

appster Registered Member

I believe that's only true for the same WinXP edition originally licensed to the specific Dell PC. For example, my Dell Dimension tower was licensed for XP Home and my Dell Inspiron laptop for XP Pro. When I tried to install Pro (using the Dell CDs) on the Dimension tower it was rejected.

14. MisterB

Installation CDs won't work. Restore media that restores the original OEM system image will. A lot of manufacturers provided both in Xp's heyday. The technical term is SLIC activation and it only applies to preinstalled systems, not to an installation done with the COA on the machine and XP discs provided by the manufacturer.

15. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

My Dell E510 was delivered to me in December of 2005 and arrived with Windows XP Media Center edition installed.
    I have always been able to run that same computer with XP Pro or XP Home which is the Edition I am using now.
    Dell XP Home and Pro Re-install CDs purchased on Ebay have been used for years without issue.
    Attempting to install a non-branded edition of XP (any edition) results in failure.

16. 142395

142395 Guest

I don't have XP computer (my 1st PC was Vista!), but if I had, I would install Arch as a dual boot and also keep my XP updated via unofficial patch which are built and delivered by a person I trust. Tho I admit using XP itself doesn't mean you're likely to be infected, it's another fact that many of vuln found in Vista+ also affect XP and even W2K.

In case someone have interest, here's Google translation of his Windows Legacy Update site.
    https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=ja&ie=UTF-8&u=http://w2k.flxsrv.org/&edit-text=

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ja&tl=en&js=y&prev=_t&hl=ja&ie=UTF-8&u=http://w2k.flxsrv.org/wlu/wlu.htm&edit-text=

Each time security fix (including flash) is released, he analyze them and if it affects security of XP and/or W2K, he release fix for them. He also makes much effort to make using those legacy Windows comfortable e.g. providing driver which is compatible with latest hardware.

He, Blackwingcat can understand English at least a little (happend to find him in comment of this site.).

If you have interest, pls read privacy policy carefully as WLU collects some info like usual Windows Update. Also tho I personally trust him (I've been reader of his blog and sometimes comment on), use it at your own risk.

#I'm allowed to post about his sites.

17. guest

guest Guest

My last Windows XP machine hasn't been used in 3 years and is currently collecting dust in a corner.

A shared Windows Vista pc has also been abandoned.
    So currently only Windows 7, 8 and Linux.

18. StillBorn

StillBorn Registered Member

XP appears to carry that die hard intrinsic value that the 1969 Mustang did with Ford fans. One can hope that W10 will carry the same bravado as Ford's resurrection of said Mustang. Vive' le Boss 429! (It'll never happen.)

19. Gullible Jones

Gullible Jones Registered Member

No. Even if for some reason I wanted to, hardware and software compatibility is already becoming a problem.

20. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I am still using Windows XP Pro 32 bit on two PC's because the performance is adequate, and I feel that I have adequate Security installed to make up for lack of up-to-date Security patching.

21. pvsurfer

pvsurfer Registered Member

I spend a good part my time on a 2-year old Win7 laptop but I also use a Dell Dimension 4550 (quite a few Dell's around here) running XP Pro SP3. The Dimension has a 1.8GHz P4 CPU and 1.0GB RAM so not only won't the hardware adequately support Win7, there's a lack of drivers for Win7 as well. Since I'm not into Linux I guess I'll be running XP on it til the day it dies.

22. roger_m

You should have no problems getting Windows 7 drivers, but it's better to stay with XP as it will run faster.

23. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I am still using XP due financial consideratiions...i.e. too poor to upgrade. ;)

24. roger_m

You can get Vista very cheaply these days.

25. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

No, thanks...I could have had Vista when I got this custom desktop in 2007. Vista was crap.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.