Are you secured? Take this questionaire (and post your score)

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by squash, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Yeah, something's not right about this test, I definitely agree. I just retook the survey, and this time inserted "Guru" rather than "Experienced".....but otherwise answered the exact same questions the exact same way as before. Only this time, my score surprisingly went from a 90% to an 89%!!! So I lost a percentage point by claiming to be a guru, but otherwise answering the questions identically as before....

2. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

probably because you're 50 years old :p

3. angarahad

angarahad Registered Member

Your Security Rating is Good (87%)!

4. muf

muf Registered Member

Your Security Rating is Fair (66%)!

My score is lower because.
    1. I use Windows ME.
    2. I have auto updates turned off.
    3. I use Interent Explorer.

IMO funny because.
    1. Windows ME is less targeted by new malware.
    2. I may have auto update turned off but i check for updates every 1 or 2 days.
    3. My Internet Explorer is fastened down tight. Disabled ActiveX, Java and Scripting.

This test obviously doesn't take into consideration any of these facts. Oh well, i've have like nil infection's in the last 2 years, so 66% must mean i'm doing something wrong. ;) I suppose i could have answered all the question's in the way it obviously wanted me to answer them and got a score of 90+%. But i was more interested in answering the question's honestly.

It also asks a load of question's regarding running in admin or user mode. I mean i already said i use Windows ME so what could i say? "Unknown". I'm sure that increased my score. NOT! I've come to the conclusion that the test is A LOAD OF BOLLOCKS!

muf

5. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

Haven't you figured out this by now? All security tests (this goes for software test) posted here are bollocks. We are far too clever and knowledgable for any security test to say we have a less than perfect security level. Any test that says so, is obviously bogus.

6. muf

muf Registered Member

I wouldn't go that far!(unless of course there was a hint of sarcasm in your post?). I honestly believe there are plenty of tests out there that have constructive analysis. What i didn't like about this test is that the author has decreed that if a user has Windows ME then they have a serious vulnerability. Granted Windows ME has many holes and vulnerabilities, but so do all the other Windows version's. The author seems to indicate that no matter what patches, fixes, security measures you have taken that by default you are marked down just because of the O/S you are using.

Also, the auto updates thing. Well i don't give any application unconditional permission to access the net. There's only two application's on my pc that have that honour and it's only because they auto update in the background. Everything else has to ask. I want to be in control of Windows update so i can decide for myself when i check, which as mentioned is very regular anyway.

I have Firefox as well which i also use. I just prefer IE. I have it locked down tight so is not a concern. If i'd have said Firefox in the survey, it would have given me more points. But my IE is just as secure, if not more so as i know IE inside and out. But Firefox used and set up incorrectly will be a bigger vulnerability.

This test also marked me down because of these question's:

20. Are you using the default windows account or a limited one?
    21. Is your computer login password protected?
    21a. Is your password a mix of numbers and letters?
    22.Is the Administrator account password protected?
    23. Does Windows ask for a password when you start up?
    24. Is the Guest account disabled?

Generally all these are not applicable to Windows ME. So i select 'Unknown'. What else can i do? I'm sure that also reduced my score. Now if it had a 'N/A' as an option and that option wasn't taken into consideration then that would be better.

Think there's a bit of work to be done on the test to make it worthwhile.

muf

7. Pieter_Arntz

Pieter_Arntz Spyware Veteran

Average Joe here for my computer at work:

Your Security Rating is Good (71%)!

Not having a AV at the workstation really hurts your score ;)

8. Trooper

Trooper Registered Member

90% score for me. :)

9. Pollmaster

Pollmaster Guest

I suppose you can say the same for many tests.

So what if I use IE and I don't upgrade to XP SP2, I got more than enough security software like AV,AT,Firewall, router, proxomitron etc protecting me.

So what if I don't block 100% of the leak tests, I keep my system 100% clean, besides if something gets past, i got bigger worries then merely whether my firewall leaks.

So what if my ISP doesn't filter all those malicious attachments, I'm using Thebat! and it doesnt execute those attachments anyway

So what if I fail this system hardening test, I got processguard and execution launch protection.

So what.....

:)

See the point? We are far too clever for these test LOL.

As someone already mentioned, as long as you know what you are doing.....

10. muf

muf Registered Member

That is most definately the most important security you can have. :)

11. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Got only 82%, surprisingly. I suspect a lot of that related to my use of default admin account (I'm the only one on this computer).

And I agree with several others here that a great deal of it was set up unfairly. My particular gripe is with the question about virus scanning -- I answered "frequently" (and how often do they mean by that, anyway?). But the question didn't allow for what probably most of us have and use, resident (real-time) protection in addition to the on-demand scans we run periodically.

12. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

i got 71% cause my bro downloaded limewire grrr

13. zashita

zashita Registered Member

And the winner is ... 39%

But it is a test machine, naked on internet, here to catch all it can :D :D :D
    Therefore 39% is not too bad :p

With my main computer, I have 89%

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.