Are you happy with your security setup now?

Discussion in 'polls' started by acr1965, Nov 5, 2013.

?

Are you happy with your current security setup?

1. I'm happy and will not change in the foreseeable future

52 vote(s)
    59.1%
  2. I'm happy but will probably change just to try something new

28 vote(s)
    31.8%
  3. I'm not happy and still looking for the perfect suite or combo

7 vote(s)
    8.0%
  4. I'm never satisfied with my setup and always changing

1 vote(s)
    1.1%
  1. luciddream

luciddream Registered Member

Didn't really have the ideal answer. I would've said: "Happy, but you never know what might change." I don't see myself changing much in the near future, but you never know what might change. I want to try out MBAE eventually, and if another project I'm looking forward to comes to fruition REALLY want to test that one.

I don't think the "perfect" setup is ever attainable. But we always look.

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

3. Behold Eck

Behold Eck Registered Member

Takes a while getting there but finally happy enough for the foreseeable future.

Regards Eck:)

4. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I'm not sure how to vote. I'm happy with my overall package and won't be changing. Except for maintenance, the HIPS and firewall rules are set. OTOH, I'm constantly modifying the Proxomitron filters in response to new threats, tracking methods, etc. Some of the batch files I use are also changing. On virtual systems, I've got more ideas that I want to test than I have time for. Definitely waiting to see more on NEMET.

IMO, the poll needs one more option, happy but still fine tuning.

5. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

I'm happy with my current setup. I will probably test some new tools in near future. Right now I just enjoy using my system with minimum 3rd party software running.

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I´m not happy, all HIPS on Win 8 kinda suck. And the anti-exploit tools that I´m planning to use are asking for yearly fees. :(

Last edited: Aug 31, 2014
  7. wtsinnc

wtsinnc Registered Member

Happy but will probably change.
    Core security apps are MBAM Pro real-time, Sandboxie free, WinPatrol Plus, Firefox 28.0 with Adblock Plus, NoScript, and Flashblock, and HMP.Alert. Comodo Time Machine installed with no issues. Java, Adobe Reader, and Adobe Flash are disabled until needed.
    I could update FF to the latest version but I like where I am right now. Ditto, of course, for XP (Running XP SP-2).
    No known infection for a pretty long time but with malware as stealthy as it has become, how can someone know if a system is really clean ?

8. wat0114

wat0114 Registered Member

With the Linux setups, yes, very happy and see no need to change anything.

With Windows 7 Ultimate, I'm happy with the setup but I feel it could probably be better, so I'm often trying to come up with a modification or change that could improve it.

With XP Pro (which I rarely use anymore), yes, very happy with the security setup because by design it just doesn't offer the amenities to improve it beyond where it's at now. Besides, I'm soon going to retire it permanently.

9. hawki

hawki Registered Member

I voted No "i'm not happy with my current set up."

I've been "forced" to use Norton Internet Security" because all of the other major league IS products have been preventing at least one of my favorite programs or games from functioning and NIS was available on Amazon for a reasonable price. NIS is the only IS Suite among the top ranked products that does not interfere with anything else installed on my PC. While it is a high quality piece of software all aspects of which work flawlessly and does run very smoothly and does not cause any noticeable slowdown on my PC, I do not have as much confidence in it as I do in some of the other big name products. I do use it with Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit Premium which does alleviate my concerns about Norton to some degree.

My lack of confidence comes largely from having seen two video reviews on YouTube early in it's cycle where a zero access rootkit was able to totally disable NIS allowing hundreds of malware programs to infect a PC. At that time, I was using NIS and had about nine months remaninig on my subscription, but I removed it immediately, and ran down to Best Buy who was offering an irresistible special prices on the new KIS. For months after it's introduction there were many of NIS forum members seeking help in removing zero access, although I have not seen any in the past 6 months or so. I'd much prefer to use Kaspersky cuz it's self-protection module as well as it's firewall are hard as nails, but no matter in what mode I used KIS, e.g., Trusted or not, and no matter how many times I added programs and games to it's white list, KIS still prevented me from accessing my favorite online game.

But in September Norton is introducing a totally new Product - Norton Security - that well replace NIS and other Norton products, so we will see.

The fact that it doesn't participate in AV-Comparative.org's comparative tests also makes it difficult to judge. It's stated reason is that one element of the AV Comparative's testing is not real world realistic and does not show NIS's full protection abilities, and if you won't participate in any one of AV Comparative tests, you can't participate in any of them.

While elevating Kaspersky to the top choice this year, the editor of PC Mag that does all the security product testing and reviews, still uses NIS on his PCs so I figure if it's good enough for him it should be good enough for me.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2014
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.