Are you happy with your computer?

Discussion in 'polls' started by Page42, Jul 15, 2014.

?

Are you happy with your computer?

1. Yes

71.7%
  2. No

13.1%
  3. Maybe so

15.2%
  1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I didn't know Acer was low rated? The reason why I bought one was because I wanted a high end machine, and only HP, Asus and Acer offered these type of models. Lenovo and Dell offered way less for the same price.

Yes something like that, and of course all PC's have a bit of a smell, but this time it was really bad, and it became only worse.

Well, latest news is that the Acer desktop is making an annoying sound (like a car engine), so I'm NOT happy again.

2. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

I'm reasonably content with the computer itself. It's the internet and those who want to surveil and datamine every aspect of it that are aggravating.

3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Do you have bad luck or what? Like a car engine o_O
    Don't you have any warranty left so you can leave the Acer back...to the car dealer?

You said in another thread that 2014 is the worst year ever.....well 2014 is soon over so buy your next computer in 2015 incase you have better luck next year! I hope you get this sorted anyhow. :thumb:

4. Rasheed187

Yes I was having too much fun so the devil had to ruin it once again. I also had serious health problems, so definitely the worst year ever. The only thing positive was Wilders, this was my most active year ever, I think I made about 1800+ posts, as much as the previous 9 years. :)

But anyway, I'm still trying to figure out if I can live with this sound, it's not THAT bad, but it does annoy me. I don't think it's a technical problem, but I'm not sure what triggered it. I would hate having to return this machine, because it's really awesome.

5. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

I got myself a new laptop a couple of weeks ago. It was manufactured in October. So it's pretty new. It's an Acer E series laptop with 14 " display, Intel Pentium quad core processor, 4GB RAM, Win 8.1 x64 and 500 GB HDD. It's pretty fast. I use a 3G D-Link modem with it to connect to the internet when I'm outside and out of any Wifi range. I'm extremely happy. I used to have a netbook also from Acer before this. The Acer models are some of the cheapest laptops and netbooks among all other brands where I live. They also have longer battery life. I'm loving it.:)

6. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Oh I see, then I hope your health is better now. But if you really like this computer can't you return this one due to the funny sound it makes and get a new identical one? If you have warranty left I mean. :)

7. Rasheed187

Yes it's better now, but this type of stuff is causing me stress, why can't I just catch a break, know what I mean. This PC would be perfect without this electrical noise. But yes, in Holland we can return machines within 2 weeks after purchase, but this was one of the last machines of this model. And I'm starting to get paranoid, perhaps all machines are the same? Another thing I noticed is that the manufacturing date of this machine was 2011, at least according to some sticker, what does this mean?

8. Veeshush

Veeshush Registered Member

Which one on which day? :D

All of them aggravate me on the days they don't do what I want, and when I'm not sure why. Many of the builds I spent years using I keep running, if even just out of sentimental value. All of them, even my old 90s ones, still teach me new stuff when I play around them. When you start getting a feel for the hardware- being able to feel what upgrade or change effects what, and especially being able to detect faulty hardware (like bad ram, or a faulty graphic card or something), then it all gets easier as a whole. It's all learning the https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/CPU_socket and then the brand. Then just play around- swap out hardware and upgrade.

9. Rasheed187

I can't handle this noise anymore, so I will return this one and buy another machine. I'm thinking about downgrading to a less "high end" machine from HP. Or perhaps I will buy this one, a gaming desktop: http://www.asus.com/ROG_Console_PC/ROG_GR8/

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I see, maybe that's for the best, I hope you won't have as much problems with your next computer, fingers crossed :) Research as much as you can about the computers you are interested in before you go for it.

11. Rasheed187

Yes I spent hours on reading, but I decided to keep this PC, the noise has become a bit less annoying, and I figured I can perhaps replace the PSU or DVD drive in the future, I believe one of them is responsible for the noise. I will also try to reposition the PC in my working room, because the noise can only be heard from certain positions. And I can always buy a new PC, then I own 2 PC's, why not, know what I mean?

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Haha ok so its allowed to stay again :p

Yeah I guess you could do that. Once you know for sure what's causing it then you can at least try to fix it.

13. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

i only said no because im never "happy" with them. i always am messing with them and i also used to compete in overclock competitions and still do so with dice, ln2 and water all the time im always trying to get that extra .10 out of the chip lol. i mean yeah i have a few systems im okay with and i normally will leave alone but i get bored easy and then i have to mess with it.

14. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

My overall, general feeling towards my computers is contentment.
    I frequently perform tasks that are best described as system maintenance, but the bigger picture, by far the greatest portion of my hours on the computer, are spent learning, recreating, gathering data, conducting business, shopping and occasionally just plain messing around.
    When I find programs that work, I usually stick with them, no longer changing up simply because I have grown bored with "what was".
    Long story short, the computer is now a tool that I use, and God knows, it hasn't always been that way for me.

15. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I often upgrade the hardware on my custom-built desktop box (recently; the case/housing). I see that as a natural progression.

16. Rasheed187

Yes, I was willing to downgrade to the HP 500 series (without SSD), but after using such a fast machine I don't think it was a good idea. This Acer is an almost perfect machine, it even has a PS/2 port which allows me to use an old keyboard which performs the best with certain video-games. But anyway, I'm almost sure it's the PSU which is making the humming noise, I will try to replace it, because it's too annoying to ignore.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.