Are you guys recognized by CheckMark Labs?

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 1 Forum' started by tempnexus, Mar 3, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tempnexus

tempnexus Guest

The reason for asking is: I know that CheckMark labs are the "West Coast Labs" and well I think it was mentioned somewhere that Eset originated in CA.
    I know that you are reviewed by AV Bulletin.

Thank You

2. sig

sig Registered Member

NOD originated in what is now called (I believe) the Czech Republic. Not exactly what we CA, USA folks call a West Coast product. ;)

I see nothing about Check Mark labs on the Eset site so that may be an answer. :)

3. mrtwolman

mrtwolman Eset Staff Account

Well almost correct :D :D But not from Czech republic. The guys from where NOD originates may sometimes be too fast on their guns when you say they are from Czech Republic. Do not try to say Dallas,TX Texas is part of Mexico .....
    NOD originates from Eset Software. According their site, Eset is a privately held software development and research company with offices in San Diego, USA, London, UK, Prague, CZ and Bratislava, SK.
    Thus ESEt seems to be a multinational giant :cool:

4. sig

sig Registered Member

Whether the Czech or Slovak Republics, or the then Czechoslovakia or elsewhere, NOD did not originate in California. That much of my geography is pretty good. :D

http://www.nod32.com.au/nod32/about/about.htm

"NOD32" . . . what does it mean ?

NOD32's "ancestors" were born around the time the first computer viruses appeared. At that time an extremely popular TV series was being broadcast on Czechoslovak Television ... a series which was later translated into many other languages and became known in many other countries. The name of this TV series was "Nemocnica na Okraji Mesta" ... in English, "Hospital at the Edge of the City". The first viruses attacked disk boot sectors, which are located at the edge of a disk. An antivirus program could in a sense be considered a hospital ... "nemocnica" in the Slovak and Czech languages. We decided to name the newly created antivirus program “Nemocnica na Okraji Disku” ... which in English would read “Hospital at the Edge of the Disk”.

We originally called our program "enn oh dee" ... the name by which it became well known and respected in Eastern European IT circles ... but thanks to worldwide expansion over the past couple of years the program is now almost universally referred to as "nod" ... in fact, some English language reviewers have "given the nod to NOD", and one of the nicknames given to our Australian partner by the VX (virus underground) is "Noddy Roddy"...

5. jan

jan Former Eset Moderator

Hi tempnexus,

>Are you guys recognized by CheckMark Labs?

Not yet, but we are preparing the certification. We are ICSA Labs certified.

Actually this is true:

>NOD32's "ancestors" were born around the time the first computer viruses appeared. At that time an extremely popular TV series was being broadcast.....

> Eset is a privately held software development and research company with offices in San Diego, USA, London, UK, Prague, CZ and Bratislava, SK

rgds, :)

jan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.