Are You an iMAC computer user?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by twl845, Nov 11, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Swex - Did your computer arrive yet? If so, how is set up going?:)

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I find it strange how the laptop componants in a mac are enough for you but you need to spend double as much on a pc to be happy?

im just trying to work out your logic.

Its a shame apple dont do a cheaper just base unit.
    I dont like all in one units. they are a pain to work on and hard to upgrade.
    if they did and it was a decent cost i could then get one to try just incase some of my clients get mac's.

Last edited: Nov 17, 2009
  3. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I wish :D

Nope not yet, and not a word from Apple either hmm...

But I think that I will wait until Nov 22 to contact Apple, at that time it's a month since I pushed the Purchase button. If it hasn't arrived sooner of course :rolleyes:

If you want I can tell you in this thread when it has arrived and hows it going?

SweX

Last edited: Nov 18, 2009
  4. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Well Apple will probably update their MacBookpro's very early 2010!
    Wich will probably includ the new Intel iCore5 processors,
    and new graphic card for sure!

Btw. I don't have any logic, I just want a ~ Snipped as per TOS ~ Mac :p

SweX

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 18, 2009
  5. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hehe it wasn't meant as a "Offensive Phrase"
    It was more like a joke from my side:(

I thought that if I put this icon :p in the message you would understand it as a joke but i guess not.

SweX

6. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

One benefit of my new imac noticed right away is no more huge gaggle of wires and cables behind my work station. :thumb:

I purchased the entry level imac which seems fine so far. :)

snowbound

7. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

If it was me, I wouldn't wait a month to inquire as to where your computer is. Unless it's being shipped from the USA and it's in the mail so to speak. I think I read that they ship in a few days. :doubt:

8. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

That seems.... long. You're right. At least in a US based view, the longest ship time shown for iMac is 7-10 business day (which is 2 weeks in calendar time). When my son picked up his Macbook Pro and Mini this summer, we had tracking info within a couple of days and it was shipped directly from the manufacturing/distribution site in Asia. Personally, I'd follow up if a shipping timeline wasn't already provided.

Blue

9. lodore

lodore Registered Member

Hello SweX,
    i was referring to twl845's post about the spec he got from dell being double the price of mac.
    thats the logic i wanted to check:D
    Sorry if i didnt make that clear.

@twl845,
    can you post the spec of the mac and the spec of the dell machine and the prices and of course the models?

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Lodore, The Mac I was referring to was the second selection on the customized page you can reach from this url. http://www.apple.com/imac/design.html I don't have the DELL configuration I customized from the DELL.com url for the model 8000 any more, as I didn't save it, but the final price was around $1700. I have since re did it in another section of the DELL store that came to around $1300, with a free RAM update to 6GB.
    I don't know where you got where I said double the price of a MAC. I said I configured a DELL which was the same price as the number 2 MAC at the MAC site. :)

11. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Oh I see. No problems ;)

SweX

12. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hi guys just an update!

I just checked the Apple shipping tracker site,
    and they had updated the page saying that the iMac was shipped on Nov18.

So now it may take a week until it arrives :eek: Finally :D

SweX

13. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Glad to hear it. :D

14. SweX

SweX Registered Member

15. firzen771

firzen771 Registered Member

WHAT? but i thought that macs are all supposed to be "perfect"?... :rolleyes:

16. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

I don't think I can spend a minute on new OSs or machines that I cannot put my hands on them. Linux and Windows cover everything I need so Google OS and Apple/Mac OS are out of my world.

My current machines always provide hardware pieces for my future machines, so I never buy an entirely new machine...just some new pieces. I have the flexibility to create servers, HTPC, NAS, dedicated routers and firewalls, testing machines and everything I want.

Apple's machines are good if you want to use them for specific tasks...use a specific software, or for regular everyday use. Cannot offer anything more.
    Oh yes they offer something more...a chance for a bit of cheap showing off.

About the transition from a pc to a mac. All of you who say it can be done...should ask first what type of software uses and the habbits of a person before being sure about a succesful transition. There are pieces of software that I use every day and they are really important for my work and I cannot find anything similar for mac os. So I could never be a mac user. But that's me. For others with a bit of luck, work and effort it could be easy and possible.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2009
  17. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I am so sorry that I have to tell you this (twl845) and others that I have canceled the order, thanks to the diffrent issues/problems the new iMacs seem to be suffering from.
    I don't want a ticking bomb meaning that the problems may occure laiter on,
    maybe a year laiter, even though some get problems right out the box.

1. It may or may not come with a screen flickering problem. :rolleyes:
    2. It sometimes arrives with a cracked screen! :(
    3. Some also excperiencing a mosquito sound when decreasing the brightness.
    4. Some aslo have problems with choppy Flash videos on for ex. YouTube.

Edit: Forgot these>
    5. Some user reports that the iMac got panel bleeding.
    6. Others reports that they get deadpixels very very fast.
    7. And some reports that they got a yellow color type on the bottom of the screen.
    8. Some users reports that the dropdown menus may (jump) to the middle of the dekstop just like that.

These reports a little to many to go through with the purchase I think.
    So, i've decided to wait at least 1 month, OR until Apple officialy tells the public we did have a problem with this and that, but it's now fixed.

I was looking forward soo much, but now I got to wait.
    And I belive waiting a little longer is the best I can do right now anyway :)

SweX

Last edited: Nov 25, 2009
  18. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Swex - Sorry to hear that news. I thought you said yours was already shipped and on its way to you. Did you refuse delivery? Another question that comes to my mind is, where did you get the info about the iMac problems? Was it info that can be proven? Funny you're the first person in this thread to mention those problems. I hope you weren't too hasty. :'(

19. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Hi twl845!

Yes it was shipped, and had already arrived in my town:)

But I called Apple and told them that I regretted that I ordered it,
    and I wanted think a little more about the purchase.
    And they said " Fine, we call the driver that was going to drive out the Mac to you, and tell him to send it back".

Now that's what I call customer care ;)

Well if you check out this thread that is now up to 42 pages :eek:

iMac section: http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1114 <.

And 42 pages thread: http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2212682&tstart=0 ..

I really hope that Apple find a solution to this and exchanges all the fault iMacs that people have bought. And if I know apple right, they will :cool:

SweX

20. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

That's quite a few complaints for the relatively same problems over a short time. I hope it gets resolved soon. Good luck with your future order. :(

21. SweX

SweX Registered Member

I belive I can say Good luck to you as well, when ever you get you're Mac ;) .

Well, idk if I can say it's few complaints if you count in
    Macrumours forums and other Apple news sites forums.

And of course, people that hasn't any problems won't post about them either, so the majority of the new iMacs is fine I think.

But I guess we will find out how many that is affected, if or when Apple makes a statment :)

SweX

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  22. snowbound

snowbound Retired Moderator

I can confirm this one. Mine has the yellow tinge mostly on the bottom right of the screen. I'm on the fence right now as to return it as for me it's not that bothersome and mostly i'm concerned about getting a new machine and finding out it has the same issue. I'll wait awhile and see how this progresses as a cause has not even been identified yet as far as i know.

snowbound

23. SweX

SweX Registered Member

Sorry to hear that, but thanks for letting us know snowbound!

I can almost tell you that if you call Apple and tell them that you got the yellow tingle, then they will send you a replacement right away from what i've heard from others. If you want of course.

But I did cancel my order, but I will probably buy one laiter on when this starts to be worked out.

BTW, regarding the flickering issue and blackouts that many got,
    seem to be a problem with the ATi drivers that comes with the iMacs.
    But it's not yet confirmed by anyone.

If you want you can post you Batch-nr, specs etc.. in this thread like others do so maybe we track the issue easier.

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2245923&tstart=0

Cheers, SweX

24. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  25. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

@ #4 I have noticed the choppy flash after upgrading the mini to Snow Leopard. With Snow Leopard installed, Safari runs in 64 bit mode by default. If you look at OS X's task manager when playing flash video you can see the flashplugin pegging the CPU at 90%. Now one way I fixed this is to force Safari to run in 32 bit, which was suggested to me on the Apple forum. Seems like all webkit based browser do not play flash as well as non-webkit browsers (ie Firefox), at least on both my Macs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.