Are you a Windows techie? Or just a third-party techie? The (W7) UAC test

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by J_L, Oct 21, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Do you know how to work around it?

Do you know what will happen if you disable it normally?

What other functions does UAC provide?

What changed from 2007 to 2012?

Are you a lazy Windows admin that disabled it w/o having strong HIPS, system virtualization, instant rollback imaging, serious whitelisting, or other OS?

Why did you disable it?

How can I change w/o making the big step or updating/replacing that outdated software?
    What, doesn't that only do the same thing?

Hell yeah, I know Windows [but not as much as Linux/UNIX]! (hopefully your reasonable response's accurate conclusion)

Randomized hints below for cheaters:
    Code:
    [S]Hint: all programs with root/admin privileges. Hint: Yes or no. Hint: http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windows-vista/disable-user-account-controluac-for-administrators-only/ Hint: If you needed the last 3 questions, then improvements are recommended, but not required. Hint: loss of convenience, compatibility, security, and even stability for standard users with "shield" programs. Hint: Task Scheduler (shortcuts), Services, Drivers, SYSTEM processes. Hint: software bugs, especially third-party security Hint: I'm too lazy to focus on Windows security. Hint: That depends on how much your opinion mutates from my points. Hint: Convenience and program compatibility (V+ malware included) Hint: File/Registry virtualization for complete separation of "no-shield" program settings. Hint: Internet Explorer Protected Mode.[/S]

2. Sully

Sully Registered Member

So what are you asking here exactly? Or is this a statement?

I am a hardcore windows techie. I normally prefer digging around in the OS as opposed to running software lol.

Not sure what you are wanting here though.

Sul.

3. PJC

PJC Very Frequent Poster

Can you be a little more specif, please? o_O

4. J_L

J_L Registered Member

You have 2 choices:
    Answer some or all of the questions yourself.
    Match my answers to these questions.

I'm interested in both, since essentially a lot of (average) people depend on inferior third-party software and doesn't use Windows properly. I think they're too close-minded even on Windows that evolved (in the right direction).

Since this isn't the usual case for Wilders, I've reformatted my opinion into this questionnaire.

5. Mman79

Mman79 Registered Member

I'm confused. In one sentence we're lazy if we disable it without 3rd party software, and in another we're "average" for using this "inferior" 3rd party software. P.S, with that last comment I think you just insulted the majority of Wilders :D

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

First of all, that's a list and not THE list. Some of those questions/answers I completely disagree with, like lazy and not running HIPS, for example. Being windows techie has nothing to do with UAC. For example, someone who can work with WMIC is far more savvy in my eyes than someone who can unclick a few GUI options.

Perhaps the correct questions are:

Can you analyze any new unknown situation?
    Can you troubleshoot problems using robust methods?
    Do you possess a generic problem solving strategy that is true for everything?
    And then, under those conditions, fixing windows shutters and working through Windows BSOD become the same thing, only the tools change.

Mrk

7. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

I wouldn't call myself a 'techie' but I'm one who don't mind learning (within my limits) and try out certain things.

In regards to Windows hardening or 3rd-party security apps, I love and hate them pretty much the same. There are pros and cons to each. Speaking for myself, I don't wish/need to be on '1 side' only...ultimately, the goal is what's important, the means are there to aid one in achieving it. I don't believe in "One size fits all" when discussing security (and most things in life).

8. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I think what the OP wanted to know is how many people knows the built-in security of Windows Vista and Above. It's not the "techie" which is good at in what I want to refer as "practicals", but the "techie" he is referring to knows, what I want to refer to as, "theories".
    In his questions I think what he wanted to find out is does people who "bash" Windows, saying Windows UAC is "annoying", "useless", or Windows built-in security is "useless", really knows what they are talking about. I know some people in this forums who are close minded, like that.

9. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Aha!

In that case, UAC is useful and I use it ... :)

Cheers,
    Mrk

10. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Well I don't no If am am techie or just some what more savy then years ago.However,I guess I know enough to Disable services that can pose a security risk.I know how to secure my network and I know how to harden my browsers from exploits with out adding a bunch of extension add ons.I use DEP for all programs and set my UAC on max and have hardened my windows firewall.

There is more to being techie then security like trouble shooting drivers or system errors and or BSOD and so forth.

I am not techie then many in here but I learned enough to solved some issues on my own,sometimes just a quick google search and I found my resolve and sometimes asking for help when I really need it.

I think I can survive just fine with out third party apps such as security,Gimmick registry cleaner,Third party updaters for soft or drivers and the like.I like having a few third party security just for piece of mind.Thanks.

BTW I was not getting malware on XP with out UAC so vista or 7 would make no difference to me but since its a built security,why not take full advantage of it.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2012
  11. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

If I use SeaMonkey or FireFox instead of Internet Explorer, I'm close minded and using inferior software? Viewing 3rd party software as generally inferior is close-minded IMO. If I had to choose one, I'd take a good HIPS over Windows UAC any day. HIPS give me much finer grained control than UAC.

For the record, I use both 3rd party apps and built in features. When the 3rd party app does a better job, I have no problems with switching, or removing the built in components entirely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.