Are Words Harming the Security Industry?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by itman, Jul 31, 2017.

1. itman

itman Registered Member

https://www.infosecurity-magazine.com/opinions/words-harming-security/

2. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I agree that a lot of IT security companies overload people with info, making it sometimes unclear what their products exactly do. However, I'm also not a big fan of Avecto. Yes, we all know that removing admin rights is important, but it really won't stop the most advanced attacks, so I think they are way too focused on that. I would like to know a bit more about how robust their white-listing and sandbox solution is, but strangely enough you can't find anything about that on their site, not a good sign.

3. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

I think teenagers will always have the jump on the adults in the computer tech industry because of the learning capacity of the teenage brain.
    Unlike other industries where what you learned as a youngster can carry you through to retirement, the computer industry is constantly evolving. Can the guy who was the 15yr old techy whizz kid in the 90s still be considered a tech whizz at 45 when compared with the new generation of 15yr old tech whizzes?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Yes, but how is this related to the article? The article was about security companies bombarding possible buyers with all kind of buzzwords, while the goal should be to keep things simple. That's what I always look for when visiting websites of security companies, some clearly explain what their product is about, others overwhelm you with info. I personally like companies like Endgame and Invincea to name a few.

5. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Software has it tough, AVs even tougher, they can not really improve packaging, so they are playing with words and trying ti influence customers in any way possible to improve sales. Why would you use a simple AV, when you can use AV, which can detect up to 10 times more malware with various modules, which do the same, but still, is not it great? Lets buy it right now. I love, how security webpages display an image of a carefree "dull" person (behind a computer) being happy, since the security is well taken care of by an easy to use ultimate security product. :)

Attached Files:

6. RockLobster

I was just commenting on the second part of the article which talked about the average age of cybercriminals arrested or cautioned...

7. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

Kind of a problem as global malware campaigns keep emerging and security software firms are running with those left and right. The problem is, highblown marketing words and images don't cover user mistakes, neglect and ignorance and they can't predict the future.. So the answer to the title question is "yes."

8. plat1098

plat1098 Guest

@TairikuOkami's screenshots are very restrained, nice actually, with some hyperbole, of course but so what? This is an example of what I mean and this is still current. It's the marketing angle I'm pointing out, not the product which I discontinued using a while back. Geez, quite a contrast there, lol!

Attached Files:

9. RockLobster

Does it also have a new improved formula that makes whites whiter than ever before?

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.