Are there any free word processors?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by cheater87, Apr 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

The Wordpad application I have on my computer is pretty crappy. Can't even spell check or anything. Are there any free word processors I can download?

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

OpenOffice has a word processor or if u want standalone, you could try AbiWord.

3. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

I may be wrong, but I think you can install OpenOffice's word processor (called "Writer") you can install it by iteself without the spreadsheet, presentation and other programs. If so, that would be my recommendation - it's a pretty nice & full featured word processor.

http://www.openoffice.org/product/

4. cheater87

Does it have stuff like double spacing and spell check? I need that for papers.

5. WSFuser

yes thats true, i meant if you dont want to download the entire suite.

6. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

Yes, it has those features and many more sophisticated features as well. If you are familiar with Microsoft Word, you won't have much difficulty learning how to use it, althought there are serveral small differences (compared to Word) that will become apparent quickly.

7. cheater87

I can't find the download link.

8. WSFuser

9. cheater87

Thanks. I downloaded the entire package since college will be tough and I might need all of this. Oh and now I can double space now. YAY :D

10. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

11. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Aren't they basically the same thing :p

If all you need is basic word processing (like typing :p , spacing, indents, spell check, tables, etc.), the abiword will suite you just fine. I personally am a proponent of latex, but it is more like a programming language, but very powerful, and you save a ton of time formatting and such once you get the hand of it (also, you can edit it with any editor, so notepad, vim, wordpad, nano, etc. all work).

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

12. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    Alpha, you use latex, too? Nice!!!
    Mrk

13. dbknox

dbknox Registered Member

I didn't see it mentioned here but "openoffice" programs will also open Microsoft office programs. Including Documents and powerpoint as well as Excel etc. I don't know about publisher ( haven't tried it and don't even know if they have a similar program). Very handy !! Nowhere near the bloat of MS office, I own Office 2000 and I didn't even bother to install it with Xp, I installed open office and use it.

14. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi. :)

The only OpenOffice's drawback in compatibility with MS Office that I have noticed is that it is unable to open .docx and .xlsx formats, which are introduced in MS Office 2007. My father uses MS Office 2007, and whenever he gives me something typed in .docx format, I have a hard time to open it in OO... :doubt:

15. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Well, we're still in 2007.. It will get that closed format.. some day :)

16. Alphalutra1

Alphalutra1 Registered Member

Yes, I'm just another fellow user who has seen the light :cool:

In regard to the .doc formatting, slowly it will start to die out as more and more people move over to openxml or open document format. However, in order for this to happen, microsoft will need to start setting the save defaults in their programs to these formats instead of keeping legacy compatibility with the .doc formats, but who knows how it will turn out. increased pressure from other companies, governments, etc. may force them to play their hand.

Cheers,

Alphalutra1

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.