Are smartwatches useful?

Discussion in 'polls' started by ams963, Dec 30, 2013.

?

Are smartwatches useful?

Poll closed Jun 28, 2014.
  1. Yes [please mention how]

3 vote(s)
    8.1%
  2. No - maybe in the future [please mention what you expect]

21 vote(s)
    56.8%
  3. No - never will [please mention why]

13 vote(s)
    35.1%
  1. Carver

Carver Registered Member

Agreed, smartwatches will have to work with other things like a smartphone or a PC at home or your computer at work the Tablet in your car.

2. mattdocs12345

mattdocs12345 Registered Member

Smartwatch is yet another device I have to remember recharging. Another device I have to turn off during my airplane ride and yet another device that will be regulated in government buildings. Mechanical watches, especially automatics offer none of the above problems. They do their job and they do it well.

3. guest

guest Guest

Useful as if it makes sense to buy it and use it for daily activities.

4. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Then in that sense, absolutely not.
    Mrk

5. guest

guest Guest

I tried to create scenarios where smartwatch could be useful. But I couldn't find one either. People wants smartphones with bigger screens, not the opposite. So definitely they won't replace smartphones. And to replace wristwatch, that's a regress IMO. As mattdocs12345 said, you'll have to turn it off when on flights. I've never told to turn off my wristwatch when I'm on the plane. :p I prefer pocket watch than wristwatch though, but couldn't find anyone sells it in real stores.

6. hawki

hawki Registered Member

"Freezing Navy EA-18G Crew In Ice Filled Cockpit Navigated Home Using Their Smart Watches

A U.S. Navy EA-18G Growler recently made it back to base after suffering a terrifying mid-air mishap, which left its two-person crew flying blind and frostbitten after the aircraft’s environment control system failed in part thanks to a pair of high-tech wrist watches..."

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zon...kpit-navigated-home-using-their-smart-watches

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

There should be a comma after the word failed, otherwise it sounds the system failed in part thanks to a pair of wrist watches - and not that the pilots made it back.
    Mrk

8. ttomm1946

ttomm1946 Registered Member

I have an apple series 1...Cheaper one.right now the mouse has both hands on 10.....:geek:

9. Infected

Infected Registered Member

I have a Fitbit Ionic. Love this watch. Tracks everything that I need, plus you can download other apps on it, ie, starbucks, weather and such..

10. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

No "smart"watches are just , ironically, for dumb sheeple who want everything they do to be monitored and controlled by the government. Sheeple means people who just blindly follow what the masses and popular consensus/ the government tells them to believe/do. In case , if you were wondering.

11. Circuit

Circuit Registered Member

Would never touch anything labeled "smart".
    Like leaving all the doors and windows in you home unlocked.
    Makes the dummies feel smart, good marketing term.

12. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

If anyone wondered if smartwatches are reliable source of data about health:
    Your smartwatch is lying to you

https://www.youtube.com/watch?app=desktop&v=tt-noynakuU

no, not yet

13. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Some are much more reliable than others. On the following channel smartwatches are tested for accuracy.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YVhmzxpw5Gg

14. pegas

pegas Registered Member

I have been using the Apple Watches extensively since the first series in 2015. Of course, they are not as accurate as dedicated medical devices/methods but they can very well indicate that something is getting wrong with you. However I primarily use them for things other than health surveillance (heart rate, blood pressure, noise, sleep monitoring and so on). Mainly as an extended arm of iPhone, i.e. for any app notifications, making short calls & messages & emails, paying with them, using a calc & currency convertor, tracking sport activities etc. Actually I stopped wearing conventional watches in favour of the Apple Watches.

15. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

Depending on the type of person you are smartwatches can be extremely useful.

Smartwatches are not small and inferior smartphones on your wrist, they are gadgets that can change your lifestyle for the better.

Of course, if you are simply someone who is sedentary, perhaps the functions of a smartwatch doesnt make much sense.

I agree that some functions are a bit of a gimmick (like body composition on Galaxy Watch 4 and 5 and sleep monitoring in general), but the heart rate monitor + GPS + some metrics definitely arent.

I left a very complete smartwatch (Galaxy Watch 4 Classic LTE) and migrated to a Garmin Forerunner 955 (GPS Watch with smartwatch functions) and I don't regret it one bit, this device helped me to conquer several personal records and have a healthy and better lifestyle.

This particular Garmin has heart monitoring always on without deteriorating battery life (2 weeks of autonomy), which allows you to monitor stress, disposition for training, recovery, body battery with much more precision and of course suggested workouts are pretty nice too.

Ps: It is so good to run and listen to music without having to carry my big smartphone with me, I will never go back to that.

https://www.dcrainmaker.com/2022/05/garmin-forerunner-955-solar-review.html

https://www.heartratemonitorsusa.co...rmin-activity-tracker-showed-me-i-had-the-flu

https://www.androidauthority.com/garmin-body-battery-1209128/

https://www.reddit.com/r/Garmin/comments/x343vj/high_stress_level_after_alcohol/

16. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

Smartwatches are practical (alarm, caller ID, card payments), but also help the security, instant notifications literally at your hand, whether it is SMS or 2FA and the time really matters, so can change the password, cancel the transaction.

17. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Had one, paid too much, found it burdensome to deal with as you still mostly had to take your phone along as well, didn't renew the service, eventually gave it away, don't intend to ever get another one.

18. Nightwalker

Nightwalker Registered Member

I am so used with those functions that I even forgot about them in my post above, yeah, that kind of funcionality is so good and I have to say that it saved my bacon once.

19. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

No use for one here. I try not to use my phone for many functions such as payments etc, never mind trying to do it on a watch. I don't need to be that connected. Nope.

20. reasonablePrivacy

reasonablePrivacy Registered Member

It it not only reliability or accuracy. It is about sticking to known and studied medical parameters. Tech, however, tries to discover other parameters on their own - degree of their usefulness for diagnosis or "health tracking" is unknown at the moment.
    The channel you mentioned is interesting. Anyway it is important to note that guy is a scientist, and not clinician.

21. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Dick Tracy would disagree. :D

Personally, never had one and not in the least interested. :cool:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.