Are Registry cleaners effective or is it just smoke & mirrors?

Discussion in 'polls' started by AaLF, Oct 10, 2011.

?

Are Registry cleaners effective

1. Definitely

28 vote(s)
    27.7%
  2. Probably

17 vote(s)
    16.8%
  3. Unsure

23 vote(s)
    22.8%
  4. No

33 vote(s)
    32.7%
  1. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

yes, ununsed bytes of information to load in registry will not impact greatly on performance, it was truth in 95 era, not today...

2. noone_particular

noone_particular Registered Member

The problem with this particular poll is in defining "effective" and specifying what you expect from a registry cleaner. As others have already noted, the results are also OS dependent. If "effective" is a performance increase, on a newer OS the results will be minimal at best. If effective means removing usage tracks, MRUs etc, then they can be very effective.

3. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

Smoke & Mirrors.

4. safeguy

safeguy Registered Member

While I agree with Osaban, Sully, and noone_particular, it all boils down to which registry cleaner(s) you use and HOW you use them. If you're going to use one, make sure:

a) it has a good track record in terms of it's "safety" (least amount of FPs)
    b) don't blindly delete all the so-called "junk" (the "checked" items). Go through them and see if they're really not needed. In cases of doubt, better leave it alone.
    c) you know how to "undo" the removal of the keys or recover your system if anything goes wrong

Whether or not it's all worth the efforts, it' up to individual taste buds. Some like it original while others like it crispy/spicy. :p

5. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

I don't use any since I like to keep my registry as clean as possible

6. noone_particular

If the user makes a full registry backup before starting with an app like ERUNT, there's no risk in trying or comparing registry cleaners. If something breaks, restore the backup.

7. Hungry Man

Hungry Man Registered Member

lol and if your operating system gets corrupted and you can't reboot?

Than what?

And that goes double for users with encrypted drives.

8. noone_particular

That's what boot disks and rescue disks are for.
    Wrong choice for such experimenting or testing to start with.

9. Hungry Man

Yep, just saying there are situations that can't be recovered from and messing with the registry can force you to go through a long process to fix it.

I mean, the windows v/7 recovery disk won't do anything to fix your registry. Win8 will, thankfully.

10. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

registry cleaners are effective after uninstalling software especially in xp...

11. Noob

Noob Registered Member

And most uninstallers leave lots of traces i know registry cleaner is not perfect (I guess nothing is) but it gives you that feel :D

12. jadinolf

jadinolf Registered Member

I think they are "possibly" smoke and mirrors but I use them anyway.

13. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Anyone with any great Windows experience will know that registry cleaners are ticking time bombs as soon as you click clean. Some explode sooner than others, many deep within the system causing unseen damage.

If you need to do something to the registry, use an editor with a good search feature. I have many personal experiences to back up my statements.

14. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

no they are not.......just gotta set the cleaner right....it'll safely clean remnants of uninstalled software.....and even then nowadays many cleaners backup registry before cleaning .....

15. J_L

J_L Registered Member

I've used CCleaner's Registry module multiple times with bad results. Always had to restore on way or the other. No way in hell I'm sifting through thousands of claimed "errors".

16. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

ccleaner does not even clean registry deeply enough......I use it without backing up.....it only cleans a little compared to more standalone cleaners like wise registry cleaner.....how can one go wrong when these software cleans registries smartly, safely and backs up before cleaning.......

17. guest

guest Guest

I've never had any problems concerning registry cleaning (manually/with different tools) since 2004.

18. J_L

J_L Registered Member

It messed up my file associations, program settings, etc. that generally made my system worse just like any other registry cleaner. You better backup up one way or another, unless you know true registry fixing via an editor.

19. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

hmm....that's somewhat weird.......how can ccleaner ever mess up registries ....it's not even a deep registry cleaner....... I do possess a tiny amount of know-how in registry fixing.......ccleaner hardly cleans any registry.....I use wise registry cleaner .......any registry cleaner is pretty safe to use......

20. J_L

J_L Registered Member

Few thousands may be less than hundreds of thousands, but it's far from nothing. Looking at what it attempts to clean, one can create many potential issues in applications, installers, system settings, startup files, and even Windows Services.

Any registry cleaner can, and probably will, mess your system up. Cleaning the settings database of the entire Windows OS and most of you programs is anything but safe.

21. Hungry Man

CCleaner will touch parts of the registry such as file association.

I've never had it break anything but I can see it happening.

I don't touch the registry unless I have reason to, I use CCleaner to do it because I'm too lazy to do it manually. CCleaner'll collect the entries and I go through them and decide one by one what to do.

22. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

well ccleaner is supposed to clean junkies in those sectors.....but it finds a few......for instance.....I download an installer ......then delete it.....ccleaner will find one or two remnants in installer sector......or if I uninstall anything...it'll find some obsolete keys, etc.......cleaning those never ever does harm ......but with standalone specialized registry cleaners.......they will clean a whole lot.....and completely clean the system out of any remnant junky......

to each his own.......you had bad experience.....I had none.....so I think reg cleaners are important and safe.....at least after uninstalling and in xp.....you may differ......and that's fine.......

23. progress

progress Guest

I think there is nothing to clean in the registry these days:

:thumb:

24. ams963

ams963 Registered Member

that's why registry cleaners cannot do any harm to system especially ccleaner.....only important after uninstalling software......

25. Noob

Noob Registered Member

I have never ever seen CCleaner screw up my PC :D

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.