Archive Validation - E00640001: Error reading the file

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by joseg, Mar 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. joseg

joseg Registered Member

Hi,

I've not been able to do a full validation of my image backup. I'm running ATI for SBS - build 8,206 on a MS SBS 2003

I'm backing up 945GB of data to an external 2TB drive. I have a full backup setup for Saturday, and incremental everyday but Saturday & Sunday.

The backup process goes well, but in trying to troubleshoot this validation problem, I create a separate schedule to validate my full image to run on Sunday.

My full backup image is 885GB

Every couple hours the validation stalls with the following error:
    E00640001: Error reading the file

I ran a chkdsk on my external drive and it checked out fine. I can't find anything in my logs that would disrupt the process. I also have AVG running on this server but I added exclusion rules for the TI processes.

Indexing Service, Compression, Shadow Copies and Quota are turned off on the external drive.
    Priority is set to high
    The policy on this drive is set to optimize performance

Is there any work around to make sure that TI continues the validation of the archive, or to ignore the error and keep trying?

Thank you,
    JG

2. jmk94903

jmk94903 Registered Member

If you boot from the Rescue CD, can you validate the backup?

This is critical if you will have to do the restore from the Rescue CD because this is also the boot drive. If it is a data only drive which could be restored from within Windows, it will help identify whether some Windows process is interfering with the validation or if the archive is really corrupt.

This is also one huge backup file. It's possible that the size is part of the problem. Splitting the backup into several jobs or just splitting the archive might help.

I also noticed that the backup is 845GB for 945GB of data. That's less than 7% compression. Are these photo, video and music files which are already compressed? If so, you might just as well copy the files rather than using a backup program that creates one huge file.

A program such as Second Copy which can be set up to mirror the files on a second drive might be a better piece of software if this is data only and not a boot disk.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  3. joseg

joseg Registered Member

jmk94903, thanks for your quick reply.

I don't believe that the archive is corrupt, unfortunately, this server is mission critical and I cannot take it offline for the validation.

The splitting of the backup jobs, or of the archive file was going to be my next option.

4. Acronis Support

Acronis Support Acronis Support Staff

Hello joseg and jmk94903,

Thank you for choosing Acronis Enterprise Software.

Please note that corrupted archives could be created because there are some bad sectors or unreadable data resides on your HDD.

Please perform the following operations:

-Check the disks for errors

Go to the Command Prompt (Start -> Run -> cmd)
    Enter the command: "chkdsk DISK: /r"
    where DISK is the partition letter you need to check. Please note, that
    checking the C: drive may require you to reboot the machine.

-Change the backup location (for example save your backup to the internal HDD instead external)

-Please try to perform the operations using Acronis Bootable Media. To create it please follow: Tools -> Create bootable rescue media. Then boot your machine from it and you will be able to use Acronis True Image Home without booting any OS.
    Acronis Bootable Rescue Media is a standalone version of Acronis True Image Home, burned onto a CD and based on a Linux operating system.

If the issue still persists, please check your RAM module for corruption. The full description of the process is available here.

Thank you.
    --
    Alexander Nikolsky

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.