Archive Open Error

Discussion in 'Acronis True Image Product Line' started by waltkos, Jan 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. waltkos

waltkos Registered Member

Win XP SP2 - TI 11 Home, build 8053.

Today I got a TI 11 CD and installed the program. I created an image of the C partition, stored it on an external USB HDD and verified it.

Then I tried to Explore that image and got:

"Archive Open Error
    An error occured when opening the backup archive. Cannot continue the operation due to either the backup is corrupted or it is used by another process, for example the backup has been mounted on a disk."

The verification of the backup was good, so the file should not be corrupted. I had no other process using the image file.

I ran a repair and had the same result so I removed TI 11 from my machine.

What is causing the error and how can it be fixed?

2. shieber

shieber Registered Member

I usually see this only when doing a search within Explorer and Windows is set so that Explorer searches within archives. Explorer is expecting ZIP and RAR files so when it tries to open the proprietary tib files it gets surprised and in typical Windows fashion, wets itself with a useless warning window.

If that's the kind of prob you're having, I'd ignore it; there's lots of things Windows can't do well.

If you're having the problem within ATI, I'd contact Tech Support -- you probably have a hardware setup that your version of ATI doesn't work with well.

3. waltkos

I don't believe that it is hardware related and I don't believe that it is a Windows Explorer issue.

TI 11 should be creating a temp file from an image in order for me to use the program to "Explore Backup Archive". If the image itself has been verified then, in my opinion, the temp file TI created was most probably corrupted.

4. sparkymachine

sparkymachine Registered Member

I've had no issues exploring a backup from windows, it shouldn't be a problem. As far as windows expecting anything?? I don't think that has anything to do with it.

Why do you say TI should be creating a temp file? I've not noticed this behaviour.

You need at least the TimounterMonitor process running to explore archives.

5. waltkos

sparky, it has been my experience that when using the TI "Explore Backup Archive" option, and selecting a saved image to explore, a temp file named "Slice" is shown in place of the named.tib file. When the "Slice" file is clicked on it opens for exploration, in my case, the C partition that I imaged.

It appears to me that TI creates the "Slice" but TI 11 did not create a "Slice" file hence the error message.

6. waltkos

I uploaded a picture of the "Slice",
    http://server6.theimagehosting.com/image.php?img=010908 Slice file.jpg&album=0&fullsize=1
    Or if that link doesn't work,
    http://tinyurl.com/2s4fg2
    Click on the arrowed button on the lower right for a clearer image.
    Slice.jpg

That is the window that opens when I elect to explore an image using TI 10. A click on that Slice opens "C" for exploration.

TI 11 opens a window, but without a slice showing, and then the error pops up.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2008
  7. sparkymachine

Yes, but that is how TI is meant to look. There is no temporary file created, certainly not where I can find any.

8. waltkos

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 9, 2008
  9. waltkos

Yes but it's like I have been explaning, that is with TI 10......, NOT TI 11.

TI 11 does not produce a "Slice" it produces the Archive Open Error.

10. sparkymachine

TI10?? You never mentioned that, oh yes you did but not at the beginning. You will not be able to access a v11 tib file with v10.
    When did TI10 come in to the equation?

11. waltkos

1. I did NOT try to access a TI 11 file with TI 10.

2. TI 11 does not produce a 'Slice', it produces the 'Archive Open Error' for both a TI 11 and a TI 10 file.

3. TI 10 does produce a slice, as shown in the image I provided to clarify what I meant by a temporary 'Slice'.

For some reason I can't attach a link to an image showing the TI 11 results.

12. sparkymachine

Ok

We still don't know the full story with TI10 and what you did with that first.

13. waltkos

Apparently you can't help me with the reason TI 11 produces the error.

The TI 11 error that is produced has nothing to do with TI 10 which was not installed at the time that TI 11 was installed.

14. sparkymachine

Correct

Someone else might be able to help but I suggest you don't use screen shots or anything else to do with TI10 when you are seeking answers to a TI11 only problem.

15. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Our preference is for members to upload the images as attachments to a post in case the image hosting goes down. That way when others are viewing the thread later in life they will still be available as part of the discussion.

As for posts that have tinyurl's like the ones you were attempting to post, they were caught in a que until We were able to change them to their actual link.

Since "tinyURLs are opaque, hiding the ultimate destination from a web user", the Administrators of Wilders have taken this course of action for the protection of those that visit Wilders.

Bubba

16. waltkos

17. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

18. waltkos

Okay, maybe I got it figured out.

This is what I get when I try to 'Explore' a TI 11 image.

I can create, verify, and mount an image without a problem, just can't explore. I have not tried a recovery yet with TI 11 because of my concern with this 'Archive Open Issue'.

Sorry for any image confusion.

Attached Files:

19. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Are your images - single, diff, inc and or split?

Are these files and folders backup or an actual partition image?

If they are split, you need to have the whole cabungle on the one drive, if any of the parts (slices) of an inc or diff are missing it won't work.

However, I think your problem is more likely caused by either a corrupt DLL file or some other service interferring with the TI process.

I can explore my TI11 folders - but I actually get no contents - this might be because I use an add on file shell utility rather than Explorer.

You are aware of course that you can copy files in mount mode assuming partition images if that is your ultimate aim.

Colin

20. sparkymachine

Is this still a 'TI11 only' problem or what
    Can see the image but....

21. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Well in the process of trying to duplicate your problem, I've found a big bug, that I thought had been closed.

I tried to make just a folder back up, and allowed TI to put it into the ''backup place' - of course it recognised other files were there and immediately started re-scanning all archives. So I pressed cancel - absolutely nothing happened TI merrily went on archiving - closing TI didn't stop the little varmint. Brainwave, canceled via the tray icon - nice no entry sign with a cross appeared - TI still merrily archiving away - had to actually kill the TI Home process in task manager to cancel the action. Part of new archive file was duly placed onto backup archive on the external drive.

Tried again, but this time folder straight to the root of the external drive - 5MB file made.

Clicked on Explore - container opened but in DOPUS - file is empty. Unfortunately without uninstalling DOPUS or fiddling with registry I can't see what happens if I try to open in Explorer.

Colin

22. sparkymachine

i have absolutely no idea what you are on about Colin, lol.
    What is DOPUS or am i stupid?

23. bodgy

bodgy Registered Member

Directory Opus - a file system utility that acts like either Commander or the old style (win3.1/95) Explorer. In other words, I can see multiple partitions vertically or horizontally at a view, plus few other bits of fancy stuff.

Colin

24. waltkos

Okay, let me start all over. I'm using Windows XP-SP2 and I have a problem with Acronis TI 11, Build 8053.

1. I have used TI 10 in the past without any problems. This is not at all about TI 10, it worked well.

2. I uninstalled TI 10 and installed TI 11 from a new CD that I got yesterday (Tues, 1/8/0:cool:.

3. Today, using the TI 11 program default settings, I created a single, full, backup image of my system partition, 'C', and named it 010908-1.tib.

4. I verified that image.

5. I then tried to use the TI 11 program option: 'Explore Backup Archive'. It failed with the 'Archive Open Error' as is shown in the image posted in message #18 of this forum thread.

6. I then made sure that tib files were associated with the Acronis True Image program.

7. Without opening the TI 11 program, I clicked directly on the 010908-1.tib file and got the same 'Archive Open Error'.

8. I used the program to mount that same image and the mount function works well.

9. I read on this forum about getting drivers (a SnapAPI.337 file), so I got it.

10. Using a TI 10 rescue CD, I restored my 'C' partition to a time before I installed TI 11.

11. I created a new image of 'C' with TI 10, and was able to explore it with TI 10.

12. So I once again I uninstalled TI 10.

13. I downloaded TI 11, Build 8053 from the updates at the Acronis website and used that file to install TI 11.

14. I then installed drivers using the SnapAPI.337 file.

15. I created an image of 'C' as I did before.

16. And once again I could not 'Explore' that TI 11 image. I also could not explore any TI 10 images that I have saved.

17. I uninstalled TI 11 and will now keep it off until I learn what is wrong and how to correct the problem.

18. I now have no True Image Version installed, but I will re-install TI 10 if I don't get a fix for the TI 11 error.

25. sparkymachine

ok thanks.
    good old win 3.x
    If only motorola Amiga had taken off instead of crappy intel ...... thats another story

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.