ArcaVir 2005 is out.

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by stormbyte, Feb 9, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. stormbyte

stormbyte AV Expert

New, better engine, new and improved mail scanner, massmail protection(outgoing), firewall, registry monitor and more.

www.stormbyte.com

Let me know what do you think about it :)

Mariusz

PS. Soon we will release versions for:
    - Novell
    - Symbian OS
    - Windows CE
    - Linux
    - Microsoft Exchange

plus some utilities/modules.

Last edited: Feb 13, 2005
  2. KERANO

KERANO Guest

Product is nice, good work guys!

Only I do not like how your new web site look. Its more like for Linux products...(same was with old site)

3. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

Stormbyte, I would like to test ArcaVir but I use (and I like) Outpost Pro. Can I install only the ArcaVir antivirus without installing the firewall? Thanks for your help.

4. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

^Ale,

The firewall is a separate application enabled/disabled from within the main menu system. It is disabled by default at installation time (or was on my beta copy - I assume that's still the case - to be on the safe side, disable Outpost on the install and for the reboot). I run Outpost and they seem to coexist fine.

Blue

5. Access Denied

Access Denied Registered Member

It is disabled on install.

6. stormbyte

stormbyte AV Expert

Firewall module is disabled on install. You should not have any problems with ArcaVir and Outpost Firewall.

Mariusz

7. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

Has anyone used the Arcavir firewall? I am trying it now but not real sure about the settings.
    I have been using sygate but currently have it shutdown not uninstalled and I have a fairly good understanding of application and advanced rules.
    The arcavir help does not explain with much detail or at least not enough for me.
    I have a router installed so I am really more concerned with outgoing traffic anyway.
    Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated.

8. Access Denied

Its more of a rule based firewall from my experience with it. I couldn't get the application yay/nay style from it. I am stickin with ol Sygate on one pc and Kerio on another. Its good for a novice without a router I would say(AB Firewall).

9. Honyak

Honyak Registered Member

I probably will stick with sygate but I am going to play with it for a few days and see if I can figure it out or get some kind of feel for the rules.
    Thanks for your comment.

10. Access Denied

Your quite welcome. It is very easy to figure out if you can make advance rules in Sygate. :D

11. ^Ale

^Ale Registered Member

Thanks BlueZannetti and Stormbyte for your prompt reply and your suggestions.

12. Chris12923

Chris12923 Registered Member

Stormbyte, I am lam1 that has mailed you today and yesterday. I already told you what I thought but I will tell others. I think that ArcaVir is above average AV. I have not tested to see the definitions reliability but as far as its functions and options (many) it seems good. I hope to see you continue with the good work.

Thanks,

Chris

13. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

Are there any substantial differences, not cosmetic, between ArcaVir 2005 and mks_vir 2005?

I know that ArcaVir is available from the US reseller, Stormbyte http://www.stormbyte.com/index.php and mks-vir 2005 is available from the main Polish site; http://english.mks.com.pl/products.html.

Is ArcaVir solely the repackaged/same mks_vir product for the non-Polish market, particularly in respect of support?

14. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

Blackcat,

There have been a few posts over at the Stormbyte forums. For example, here - sounds like English only and regionalized for the US market. Aside from that (and possibly pricing structure), it seems the same as mks_vir 2005. I recall some earlier posts - and I thought that it was at Stormbyte (don't see them now) - that alluded to possible naming issues in the NA market. No details given. Maybe too close to this(?) from a sales/marketing perspective? Just guessing on my part.

From personal experience, Stormbyte's support is quite good and I'd recommend them.

Blue

15. Blackcat

Thanks, Blue

Because of the poor support response of one of my other AV's, I am trialling mks_vir 2005, as a possible replacement.

But since I am restricted to dial-up here, I do not wish to try and download another 18MB if it is the same program, but in a different coat, as ArcaVir.

So far so good. Stable, seems to have little effect on system performance and initial testing with my malware collection looks very promising.

A little bloated compared to what I prefer, but I can switch off all but the essentials. Maybe it's proper name now should be ArcaVir Internet Suite and not just ArcaVir AV!

16. stormbyte

stormbyte AV Expert

1. ArcaVir is smaller then mks_vir because there is no polish language files.
    That means smaller download, smaller updates, less problems, minimally less memory usage.
    2. There are minimal changes in ArcaVir engine. Hovewer some people that tried both are telling me that ArcaVir feels a lot faster.
    3. There are some differences in gui for example scanner window in Arca has
    Monitor, Mail, Regmon, Firewal, Options, Help, Update ikons
    while MKS has only
    Monitor, Mail, Regmon, Options, Help , Close

There is couple more, small differences like that.
    Hovewer after a while those two programs will totaly different.

Mariusz
    www.stormbyte.com

17. Blackcat

Therefore for non-Polish speakers, of the two versions, you would recommend ArcaVir? ( I feel another long download coming up :( )
    Any more details here, Mariusz?

18. ENT

ENT Registered Member

I really like the program! Don't need to have a lot of other programs installed. The regmon already caught something I posted on privacy problems! I'm having a problem with start up tho and can't figure out how to fix it. The message says "unable to run scanner control component". Plus I don't know when to allow server. I'm using Zonealarm pro and win.2K. Help is appreciated. :) Thanks, ENT

19. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

I tried it yesterday.It seems quite good , though the nag screens in the trial did start to irritate me very quickly, as they popup as soon as windows boots and arcavir loads.It did not seem to slow down my system at all which is good.I found the detection (used some malware to try it out) very good.I would say that the complete scan (on default settings) seemed very slow though ,and it hung while scanning a an outpost log file.I didnt uninstall outpost or nod32 but merly disabled imon/dmon/amon and started it from loading with windows.I did the same with outpost.Perhaps this had a bearing on the hung file?.I didnt really like the firewall that much ( i turned it off quite soon) as i think outpost would be hard to beat in that respect.What i did like and would be intrested in knowing ,is whether there are plans for a standalone registry monitor?.Ive been looking for a decent one for my 98 for a while.Im currently using net commando but i did like the options ,low overheads and interface of the reg monitor.I would def try this one out again , and as i say would be very intrested in a standalone reg monitor.
    ellison

20. Access Denied

This doesn't monitor the entire registry but it will nail anything trying to load in startup sections.Startup Monitor :cool:

21. stormbyte

stormbyte AV Expert

Yes I would recommend ArcaVir instead of mks_vir. And btw ArcaVir is smaller, juz 13mb:)

22. stormbyte

stormbyte AV Expert

If you are using ZoneAlarm then make sure that ABFirewall is disabled as it _may_ conflict with the ZA.
    To fix "unable to run scanner control component" problem go to start->programs->arcavir->register components. That should fix it. If not then contact me using this from: http://stormbyte.com/supporthelp.php

Mariusz

23. stormbyte

stormbyte AV Expert

Yes that could be a problem, but I will investigate that further and let you know.

We are considering this, so maybe in near(o_O) future some components will be a standalone programs.

Mariusz

24. kdcdq

kdcdq Registered Member

Hello all,

A quick question if I might: Is there a place/way to download & store the latest AV definition file for ArcaVir 2005?

Thanks in advance,
    KDCDQ, Security Freak

25. stormbyte

stormbyte AV Expert

You have to use ArcaUpdate module to download latest definitions files for ArcaVir 2005

Mariusz

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.