AppRanger add in the cloud:)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by jmonge, Aug 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. appranger

appranger Registered Member

Application is sandboxed if you run it from the browser. This way even if a malicious program is run from the browser, it won't harm your computer.

Also, you should get the version with web-service. It is here, at the bottom of the page: http://search.appranger.com

2. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

So download the version on that page and uninstall what I have now?

3. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

yes at the bottom of the page says download appranger that is the news version

4. Saraceno

Saraceno Registered Member

With AppRanger, I think 'lockdown' mode is solid. That is, no program downloaded will be able to run (unless you keep trying to install the program, then it will allow you access on the second time). Installed programs can still run without problem however.

And lockdown can be switched on and off at the click of a button. I'm assuming, you have to 'create reference state' often if you want lockdown to be effective, yes? :)

ar.jpg

ar2.jpg

ar3.jpg

Otherwise, the sandbox settings, they still puzzle me. If I have IE, Opera sandboxed, at medium or high settings, is it normal for files to be able to run from the browser (as they seem to be able to install/run)? In lockdown obviously, the program will be denied (see third image). But out of lockdown, how do the sandbox settings work? Is it mainly to deny registry changes, or something similar?

5. Saraceno

What I'm wondering, as lockdown is the quickest way to disable downloads from running, and very convenient I might add, is there any additional sandbox settings I would need to add (out of lockdown)?

See difference in sandbox settings between adobe (high) and opera (medium). If Opera is set to high, it will then have the same settings as adobe reader. Can anyone explain the difference in sandbox settings?

Adobe default settings
    adobe sb.jpg
    adobe sb 2.jpg

Opera set to medium - see change in process rules - what will this do?
    opera sb.jpg
    opera sb 2.jpg

Some additional settings - anything additional required?
    opera high.jpg

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

if you get infected and you lockdown the malware is freezee:thumb:

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

when you lock down everything is block when trying to run,i experience that when use with sandboxie i have some minor problems,there should be a work around or some:D

8. Saraceno

Just a note on the sandbox feature, I only ran files I knew wouldn't make changes to the registry, so someone might want to test a sandboxed program against a file/program that would make registry changes.

Regarding the scan, the scan feature is similar, well in my opinion, to the AVZ tool. Locates drivers and exe files on your system - you can right-click to explorer the file's location, or mark it as 'bad' and remove. Scan takes under a minute.

Only suggestion I have is if you mark a file as 'good' and make a mistake, if there is a way to reverse the change. Marking a file as 'bad' places it in the malicious group.

scan.jpg
    scan 2.jpg
    scan 3.jpg
    scan 4.jpg
    scan 5.jpg

9. Saraceno

The reporting/logging system is quite easy to use.

See below, kind of like the winpatrol feature, where you see which programs last ran, only more detailed.

report.jpg
    report 2.jpg
    report 3.jpg

And in the next shot, I found it interesting that I uninstalled DrWeb with its uninstall tool (in safemode) - but just noticed it tried to perform an update ;) :shifty: That will be gone. :shifty: Actually, could be part of CureIt? http://www.tallemu.com/oasis2/file/doctor_web_ltd/dr_web___for_windows/drwebupw_exe/125439 - anyway, point is, AppRanger in lockdown is effective in detailing which programs are trying to run.
    report 4.jpg

10. catcherintherye

catcherintherye Registered Member

I think you can view your own good/bad stuff in there somewhere like "user blak/white list"

11. catcherintherye

catcherintherye Registered Member

I wonder if this is due to the "Use user balk white list for sandbox" "use appranger ..." settings?

12. acr1965

Anyone test this against real malware yet?

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i did;)

14. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

dont forget you can also google search for after scaning in case you dont recognize a malware or good file,also you can run appranger with prevx free,prevx will detect and appranger will remove what prevx recognize:thumb:

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i personally tested AppRanger;) why do you think it is in my signiture:D it is amazing program it removes even the most nasties malwares:)

16. Saraceno

Thanks. I'll try that out when I get home.

So far, not bad at all. Good program for preventing any downloads to run while browsing the net.

I was impressed with the scan as well. Similar items to the AVZ tool, that is, identified a number of unknown portable programs that if I didn't install on purpose, I'd want to know about and remove.

17. Saraceno

The file I marked as good was in the whitelist. Was able to place the file back, then remove it. :thumb:

18. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i knew it cause i tested too;)

19. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

AppRanger is very good and fast scaner;)

20. acr1965

I uninstalled appranger for now but everytime I use chrome and go to google to do a search I get the following-

(also when using my yahoo mail using chrome I am unable to delete muti-spam or email messages at one time - in Opera everything still works fine)

Attached Files:

21. Saraceno

22. acr1965

Wow that latest one looks pretty nice. Will give it a shot. If no installer, does it have an updater? Or do you just re-download the newest versions?

23. Saraceno

You re-download new versions. I'm finding 4.0.201.1 to be very stable.

Keep checking the planet chrome website, and don't worry about the german language, installer is in English.

24. acr1965

Thanks. Appranger def. needs a stand alone uninstall tool. My Chrome is screwed.

25. appranger

appranger Registered Member

Saraceno,

I am glad you like how AppRanger works. What you went through with Dr_web, several of our customers have used it to get rid of Conficker on their network.

We designed AppRanger for enterprise use and the speed/reliability of our malware removal is the reason most people start using AppRanger as the first/primary scanner.

Also, lockdown is effective in making sure the machine does not get infected. Most good programs will work just fine under lockdown. Few will get blocked the first time and allowed after wards. Whatever is blocked, is shown in the logs.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.