Application Firewalls

Discussion in 'polls' started by YODA, Aug 12, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. YODA

YODA Registered Member

Hey guys,

I'm trying to figure out for a noobie at firewalls, wut is the best free application firewall out there? Plz summit ur opion, no listings of rule base too.

YODA

2. Prince_Serendip

Prince_Serendip Registered Member

As application firewalls go the old version 2.632 of ZoneAlarm never gave me any problems and worked pretty well. It has drawbacks, but no application is perfect.

3. Mr.Blaze

Mr.Blaze The Newbie Welcome Wagon

as i hate to admit it hes right zaf is probly the best freeware they said they improved it but i think the new zaf is missing something that the old zaf had which is relly a shame they figure to many goodys in the free verstion was a no no kinda lame.

but if you want to upgrade dont but the box verstion buy the one on line i bought the box verstion nothing but a nightmare and spam from broudund or what ever its called.

the one on line works better with licence key but make sure to back up your e-mails and your za pro so if you ever need to prove you bought it you can

4. the Tester

the Tester Registered Member

I like Sygate 5.0 free version myself.Zone Alarm basic is interesting because you can download free accessory programs to work with it(Visual Zone).I have found thru different forums that firewalls(especially free versions)are pretty much a personal preferrence thing.Your'e always going to find a fanbase for different firewalls.A lot of ZA users swear by that product.Sygate, Tiny,Kerio are all the same as far as they have their user/fans.Untill you use a particular firewall,you don't know if it's going to be the best for you.

5. root

root Registered Member

I'm curious Yod@. Why do you rule out combination application and rule based firewalls. They offer the best protection, more options to do different things with firewall pportection, and not all are difficult to set up and use.
    People that come to forums like this are usually here because they are security conscious and a step ahead of the avg Joe out there just surfing dumbly away with no thought of security. It is forums like this where people can learn to use the best tools to protect themselves. By automatically ruling out certain options, you don't get the chance to try the wonderful variety of firewall available, and make a decision based on experience.
    Please do not think I am criticising you, as that is the last thing I would do. This is just to try to get a little dialogue with you to see what you are looking for and why you are narrowing the field so much.

6. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi root

can you requement a good noobie friendley combo firewall prefairably free coz that sounds like it may just be right up my street at least id have the piece of mind that the applcation part of the firewall was keeping my comp secure while i learn how to operate the rule based bit properly because due to the unimpressive nature of the recent update to za im lookin for a new more secure fire wall and im totaly hopeless with rule based firewalls as i have tryed a couple of rule based firewalls like outpost and sygate and got nowhere because i have no experance with rule based firewalls and i dont understand any of it i guess i need to find ad idiots guied that explains everythin step by by step

7. claire

claire Guest

Hi Bethrezen,
    Give try to LnS with enhanced ruleset.Even a newbie can use it "out of the box" and you'll be well protected
    Use the paid version.
    Regards

8. YODA

YODA Registered Member

hey root....

Sorry for the confusion, there is nothing wrong with rule base firewalls or even combining them with an appication. This thread was just to get an opinion only based on application firewalls. As u know a rule base firewall is a good as u set it up to be, but application firewalls are different. Just wanted to get opinions for application firewalls for the average joe.... as u know some ppl have hard time understanding rule base, and some don't even have firewalls.... so if u were suggesting a firewall to someone the best firewall to start off with would be a application. There are many different ones but wut do ppl prefer if they have used one and why, or if they haved used more than one why do they prefer it over another.

btw i'm not look at firewalls, got a rule and application combination but not gona tell u which ones heh... that is for me to know and u to guess lol.

YODA

9. root

root Registered Member

Hey Bethrezen, give Outpost free a try. Any problems, see me at the Outpost forum. :D
    Yod@ - Ok. ;)

10. Bethrezen

Bethrezen Registered Member

hi root

hope ya got an idots guide to outpost and loads of spair time coz i already tryed outpost and got no where so i went back to za 2.6 for now

i think what i need is a guied that is detailed but easy to understand one of these sort of read and now following the instructions try it ya self sort of manuals if ya understand what im geting at

11. root

root Registered Member

We do just happen to have a guide, a great site done by RISC OS and can be found here.
    You will find very basic information up to some pretty good ruleset advise.
    Please check it out.

12. crockett

crockett Registered Member

Hi;

I believe it is of my duty to report here on the absolute fact that Agnitum's support forum is indeed a gold mine as regards help on Outpost.

Crockett :D :D

13. Randy_Bell

Randy_Bell Registered Member

Yes, and the version 2.6.362 of ZA Free offered 37 different MailSafe file types (an accident on ZoneLabs' part, but true nonetheless) ... whereas the new version 3.X offers the brain-damaged MailSafe (only one file type). :D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.