Application filtering for linux?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by fannymites, Oct 25, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fannymites

fannymites Registered Member

Controling which applications can access the internet is a feature of most windows firewalls but does anyone know of any gui based linux firewalls that can block/allow certain apps?

2. Arup

Arup Guest

3. fannymites

Just the ticket, I'll give it a try, thanks.

4. Arup

Arup Guest

You are welcome, please post back your experience with it if you can.

5. fannymites

Well, I've tried compiling TuxGuardian on both ubuntu breezy and fedora core 4 but it throws out tons of obscure errors and warnings.
    I've been googling for quite a while without any success but if I do get it working I'll let you know how I get on.

6. Arup

Arup Guest

Are you using Kernel 2.6? I tried it out on SuSE 8.1 and it worked fine there, I will re-install and check it out again.

7. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Did you make sure you had all nessasery libary's to compile this piece of software on your system?

8. fannymites

The documentation said I need qt3 for the frontend which I did eventually manage to compile on it's own.
    It also says I need LSM compiled into the kernel. I believe on ubuntu it is loaded as a module but on fedora core 4 it is built in to the kernel.
    I'm afraid I haven't had time to look into it further just yet.

9. Arup

Arup Guest

When you have time, re-compile the kernel and then try it, it works fine as promised.

10. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

Or just install the kernel-source, headers :) (of the kernel he's currently using ocource...)

11. fannymites

I already have the headers installed on ubuntu. Ubuntu is working like a dream so I don't fancy messing with the kernel for the sake of one app.
    I have re-compiled the kernel in fedora but I'm still getting the same errors.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.