Application error in ekrn.exe

Discussion in 'ESET NOD32 Antivirus' started by RobJanssen, Sep 29, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RobJanssen

RobJanssen Registered Member

When I power up a system and shut it down again while it is downloading an update to the signature database, ekrn.exe pops up an application error window.

This happens especially now, just after the large file has been updated, because it takes a couple of minutes to download the entire update from our local Remote Administrator server (which serves content very slowly), so the chance that this happens is much larger than when only an incremental update is being downloaded.

2. dmaasland

dmaasland Registered Member

Do you have an IIS / Apache server running somewhere? You could use that to serve updates and speed up the proces.

3. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

If you have v5 installed, please enable generation of complete memory dumps in Tools -> Diagnostics. When ekrn crashes again, check the folder containing memory dumps (%AllUsersProfile%\Application Data\ESET\ESET NOD32 Antivirus (Smart Security)\Diagnostics". If a dump was created let me know. We'll be interested in receiving and checking it out.

4. RobJanssen

It is version 4.2.71 (business edition)

5. RobJanssen

I want to point ESET to the problem that exists when using their product.
    Not to install another product to work around it.

I presume ESET can speed up the RA webserver by deleting the code they
    built in to it to slow it down, but that is not the point.

6. Marcos

The speed of download via http is deliberately limited to prevent issues from occurring ERA includes a simple http server, not a powerful one like Apache or IIS that are recommended for updates in larger networks.

If you're still experiencing problems with ekrn crashes, contact customer care and provide them with the application dump created during the crash.

7. RobJanssen

I kind of like the slower update as it does not saturate our network when an update has to be sent to all workstations. There are only about 350 workstations so it should not be an issue.
    However it means the update takes about 2-3 minutes and the ekrn.exe crashes when the PC is shutdown in that time interval.

As I wrote, it is version 4.2.71
    I cannot find a place in the menu where I can enable dumps.
    (additional complication is we use a Dutch version so no Tools, assume it is under Hulpmiddelen)

8. Marcos

Updating from a mirror should be optimized in future versions, we have some ideas as how it could be accomplished within seconds.
    Sorry, I meant v5 that can generate dumps automatically. With v4, you can generate an application dump from within the task manager, selecting ekrn and then "Create dump file" from the context menu (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/931673)

9. RobJanssen

Maybe I should have mentioned the workstations run Windows XP.

Also, the crash occurs during shutdown. It is not possible to activate the task manager anymore at that moment.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.