Apple will automatically share the location of 911 callers in iOS 12

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by guest, Jun 18, 2018.

1. guest

guest Guest

Apple will automatically share the location of 911 callers in iOS 12
    June 18, 2018
    https://betanews.com/2018/06/18/apple-911-location-sharing-ios-12/

2. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

That makes sense, no? I mean, why would I call 911 unless I wanted my location known?

That's how it works with old school cellphones. I was seriously freaked the first time I called 911 from a cellphone. The system locked the call, and wouldn't let me disconnect. I presume that it was tracking via cell towers. I was reporting a vehicle on an interstate at night, which blew by me at >>100 kmph with no lights, and behaving erratically. But they didn't have my location very accurately, because I had to give them a mile marker.

It does bring up the issue of calling 911 for mental health stuff. And too soon, in the midst of fights that would otherwise resolve without violence. The police are usually not the best resource for someone who's suicidal, for example. Or maybe you feel threatened by your partner or child, but (upon reflection) really don't want them to face criminal charges. It's a tough call, I know. But with automatic location, you don't have the option to reconsider during the call. Or at least, less chance of that.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.