Apple, Facebook, Twitter, Amazon, Google, Comcast, AT&T And Verizon Know You Well - OK With That?

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Minimalist, Jan 29, 2018.

1. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

https://www.forbes.com/sites/stevea...omcast-att-verizon-know-you-well-ok-with-that

2. Reality

Reality Registered Member

Dont do forbes so...As far as the title goes - No I'm not OK with that.

Pure wishful thinking. IF is a small word with a big meaning. For a start, who ever said this will NEVER know everything about everyone. As for selling anything to anyone, that's no less daft.

3. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

Well, I don't worry much about Mirimir being profiled. I mean, I only see ads sometimes in Tor browser, and I'm not Mirimir then, anyway. I just make sure that Mirimir doesn't leak to meatspace or other personas.

4. RockLobster

RockLobster Registered Member

So whats up with Forbes? I'm not suggesting you should, just interested to know why you dont like it.

5. mirimir

Ad blocker wall :(

6. Minimalist

Minimalist Registered Member

Yes, but it doesn't work with uBlock Origin with default settings and filter lists. It just gets skipped.

7. Reality

Aside from detesting ads for the pure annoyance factor, I found Forbes' tactics to force people to turn off adblockers , a major turnoff. If I want something I'll go looking for it at the time and I don't want it the other way around. It's pointless to force people to see something they don't want to see. Not to mention ads are a security risk, serving up malware and trackers and other nasties.

As others have said, content can be found elsewhere.

8. mirimir

Yeah, that's basically it for me. I refuse to accept ads. I don't want them polluting my mind with dishonest ********. I don't like being tracked. And I don't need the extra exploit risk.

9. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Can't really hide anything from The Powers That Be (TPTB) anymore...this isn't new news to me or most people on this forum. Hell, most casual, non-paranoid people also realized the fact that TPTB can track anything you do these days, and everyday everyone's privacy is becoming increasingly eroded and already there is almost no room for privacy in the modern hi-tech world. Eventually the government will be able to track everything you do...assuming they aren't able to do that already. It is just a matter of whether or not TPTB are interested in you...if they are not interested in you, they will just ignore you. But if you raise a red flag and they want to find you, they can do that easily regardless of what tricks you use to hide your real identity.

10. Reality

The whole system is gearing up the way it is because they are very interested in everything you do. Serving you ads and so on is just part of the story - a stepping stone if you will. Any thinking individual would naturally kick back at forceful dictatorships - that's why we've had decades of conditioning to make dumb even dumber. The stupor is so widespread now it's all ready to go.

11. mirimir

There's no reason for TPTB to care much about meatspace me. Sure, I use a VPN. But lots of people use VPNs for torrenting and streaming. Which I do periodically. And linking Mirimir or my other personas to meatspace me would be nontrivial. Especially the ones that I really care about, which use Tor via nested VPN chains.

12. RockLobster

Yes that is absolutely accurate and I find the lack of education in the younger generation absolutely appauling. My niece was telling me the other day, at the restaurant she works at, some of the servers were rolling silverware in napkins, and they stack them as they go in sevens, alternating the direction on each layer so its like building a tower. When they are done they can pick the entire tower up and put them where they go.
    So they had to do 100 each.
    My neice said they were all counting them one at a time in their stacks and she asked them what are you doing? They said counting them to see how many is left to do.
    So she said look you have seven in each layer just count the layers and multiply.
    She said, they were all saying thats a good idea, so they all started doing that, and then they're asking her what is seven times six ? etc...
    My neice said, you mean you all dont know seven times tables?
    Not one of them knew the 7 times table. Not one. But every one of them graduated high school.
    How can that happen?
    When you also consider they do that every day, you might think even if they didnt know the seven times table to begin with, they would learn it by plain common sense while having to stack them in sevens but that had not even occured to any of them.

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
  13. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

HeHe, thats why their servers!!!!

But your right, I've seen many college graduates who have horrific, math, history and geography skills, but they sure know social media.o_O

14. RockLobster

Me too, they all seem to graduate regardless...

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.