Apple decides that Macs aren't immune to viruses

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

You really need to stop your uninformed religious zealotry for Windows. Set a picture as background? How about: right click and "set desktop picture". Restore trash? How about: "put back". What a huge learning curve!! Sure had me stumped when I looked at my wife's mac just now to see if what you said was true. Of course it wasn't.

2. guest

guest Guest

JD, I'm sorry. Things clearly improved and I didn't know. :)

3. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

5 minutes in the local Apple store. They are really very helpful.

4. guest

guest Guest

Not a very strong selling point when 99% of the cities worldwide don't have a local Apple store.

5. Noob

Noob Registered Member

Saw that yesterday, finally Apple is getting some of their things right. . . :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

6. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

That's good to know. If MS actually allow it.

Thanks for the info, I have used Macs before though. I used to us one regularly quite a few years ago. The fact is, I've been considering migrating to Mac for a while. Not all of their laptops are ridiculously expensive either. I think that Win 8 will be the spur to make me change.

7. Daveski17

My local library does IT courses. They do Mac & Windows. That's not uncommon in colleges either. Most I've taught at have a couple of Macs somewhere. I'd say 60% of my teaching colleagues are more Mac oriented than Windows. They seem to be very popular with educators, even if they aren't used as widely institutionally. Macs just aren't the complex unfathomable enigmas that SPP seems to think they are. Plus, Safari really works well on a Mac!

8. Daveski17

Yes, but 99%of the cities worldwide have public libraries. Many in my country run IT courses for those unfamiliar with computers. I live in the country & the nearest town to me is semi-rural on the edge of the greenbelt. Even they have a couple of Macs. The also do Mac familiarity courses. They are so popular you have to book in advance. Half the people I work with or know either use Macs, own a Mac, own both Windows & Apple machines or have used a Mac. When you come back down to planet Earth you may finally realise this.

9. Daveski17

Anything the zealot doesn't accept as his true god is a blasphemy or evil. ;)

I think anyone familiar with Windows wouldn't take very many minutes of using an Apple computer to figure out a Mac.

10. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Sure Macs are less susceptible to viruses than Windows computers (because of the much smaller user base).

But in my opinion that is the only advantage Macs have over Windows PCs. I have used Macs before and I absolutely hated OS X. So for me, the infection rates are a non issue, and I'll stick with an operating system I like using. I honestly can't think of anything I could do on a Mac that I should do just as easily on a PC.

To be honest I'm not too sure about Windows 8, but to be fair I've only used it briefly. But when it is released, if I decide I don't like it as much Win 7, I'll happily keep using Windows 7. If I like it, I'll upgrade my aging laptop to Win 8.

11. Ranget

Ranget Registered Member

well First Mac agreed that it's not immune

ubuntu did the same " no giving a sure answer " and told you that it's not
    usual to have viruses for Linux

and after Ubuntu user Share Gets higher (EA supporting VG on Linux)
    we will have a ComboFix For Linux ;)

12. siljaline

siljaline Registered Member

13. Tomwa

Tomwa Registered Member

Steve jobs would throttle someone.

I'll stick with Windows 7 thanks, I prefer windows and it lets me down only about 20% of the time. I'll probably be waiting a good couple of releases before ditching my current OS though (How long before Metro gets ditched?).

I think Microsoft and Apple should have a stubborn-off, who can stick to their terrible decisions & statements the longest?

Edit:

Wonder if they'll have a Patch Tuesday lol.

14. Daveski17

The sooner the better. My guess is that we'll have to wait until Win 9.

15. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I find it interesting that everyone I work with that does use a Mac prefers Firefox.

16. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

A carryover from their PC Windows days perhaps?

17. Daveski17

That's because Firefox is better. Thank god for Firefox for Mac eh?

18. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

we agree on this!! i hate metro and cant wait for it to be gone but i have a feeling we will be seeing it for a while to come.

19. Daveski17

Apparently; downgrading to Win 7 from Win 8 should be possible. I think that could be a viable solution until MS change their policy on this. If they don't, I really will go Mac or Ubuntu.

20. MikeBCda

MikeBCda Registered Member

Given enough feedback to MS, I think offering that option is inevitable, same as eventually happened with Vista and XP. And apologies for the ongoing (but by no means irrelevant) OT here.

21. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

I doubt it as my boss says he hates Windows. Though he makes his money producing software for it...

22. Daveski17

I was led to believe that this rolling back of a Microsoft OS was a standard option. I bloody well hope so, otherwise I may be seeing just how immune Macs are to viruses earlier than I assumed.

Ditto

23. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Seems like they usually allow downgrading for a while, but how long I don't know. I hope they allow it too, else I'll be looking elsewhere as well...

24. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Why not stick with Windows 7?

25. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I will as long as this laptop doesn't die. I was talking about when people buy a new computer with Win 8 on it. MS should allow downgrading to 7 on a new machine for at least some period of time...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.