Apple decides that Macs aren't immune to viruses

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by guest, Jun 25, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Windows 7 with EMET and a good Sandboxie configuration is probably more secure than Ubuntu's default desktop configuration. But Ubuntu is capable of better security if configured properly.

From what I've read, the situation is probably similiar with OSX. Darwin is suppose to have some pretty powerful sandboxing capabilities, but as I understand it, Apple has not made good use of them in the default configuration.

Also there's Apple's historically lax attitude towards updates...

OTOH I don't know a whole lot about Darwin. The FreeBSD component was forked from (actual) FreeBSD quite a while ago, and given the desktop focus, it may not be kept up to date with FreeBSD server features... And in fact the jail mechanism from FreeBSD appears to never have made it in, despite OSX 10.3's supposed synchronization with FreeBSD 5. UNIX has a reputation for security, but insecure UNIXes are quite possible, and maybe OSX just happens to be one.

BTW:

Security or no security, statements like that are IMO even more grossly irresponsible than claiming OSX is "virus free." Hardware failure, software bugs, or user error can eat one's data on any OS. Scams and phishing attacks can result in information theft on any platform, if the user isn't careful. Certain types of browser attacks are also not limited by one's platform, and can steal information. Etc. "Doing nothing" about data security is guaranteed trouble.

Personally I would not buy anything from a company that made such statements. Of course, I already have a dozen or so reasons why I'll never by an iProduct; so I'll just consider this one more nail in the coffin of Apple's reputation.

2. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

Agreed, and some of the reasons why I will never own a Mac.

3. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

With the way Win 8 is looking there is a very good chance I may buy a Macbook when I eventually decide that I need a new laptop. My brother 'went Mac' a couple of years ago.

Surely, with the fact that Macs are statistically more secure, for whatever reason, they can be hardened comparatively well? I personally know at least three people who run Macs with no AV at all. Which is just stupidity IMO. There are AVs available for Macs though aren't there? I'm pretty sure that 'avast!' even release a freeware AV for Mac.

Wouldn't a Macbook with a decent AV running a hardened browser (Firefox + NoScript etc?) be every bit as secure as Windows?

4. roger_m

roger_m Registered Member

The chances of getting in infected on a Mac is really small, and I'm sure that quite possible the majority of Mac don't use antivirus software. It's very easy to avoid getting infected on a PC without using any protection at all (if you know what you're doing), so if you use a Mac and know how to avoid getting infected I'm sure the risk would be extremely minimal.

It certainly should be.

5. Daveski17

Yes, that sounds right. I think a Mac with an AV should be OK. For example, I only have MSE on my Win 7 64 bit desktop PC. The rest is all browser hardening. I feel safe enough.

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

QFT .. the whole virus thingie analogy as a selling point is a bit overplayed.
    Mrk

7. Daveski17

It's all marketing! ;)

8. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Absolutely. And the whole virus thing on Windows is exaggerated to sell security software. I've been running Windows since version 3.1 and I can only recall getting hit with anything twice ever. One was a drive by download that installed a toolbar in IE6 ( this was 7 years ago, Windows XP, NOD32 did not catch it) and the other was an attempt by a site to infect me with an outdated Java virus that didn't even work (about 14 years ago, Windows 98 , Norton did catch it). Hmm, based on those numbers it looks like I am due for number 3... o_O

9. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

People will always try to justify overspending on what is essentially a logo on a product, even when the product is inferior.

10. Daveski17

Yeah & people will always justify spending on something that works.

11. elapsed

elapsed Registered Member

So what's your suggestion?

12. Daveski17

I don't know. Personally, I would quite like a Macbook. Used with an AV I can't see any real problems. Unless MS makes some major changes to Win 8, which is highly unlikely, I can easily justify any extra expenditure that a Macbook would cost.

13. guest

guest Guest

rofl.

Don't kid yourself. Did you ever use Macs before? The learning curve is bigger than the learning curve to Windows 8 (which only exists if you want to learn the new tricks of the Metro interface and enjoy its styled immersive apps).

14. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

Yes I have and no it isn't.

15. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

I was playing with a Imac in the store and to be fair it was very nice, but for the life of me I could not figure out how to minimize the screen and my 13 yr old son walks over and does it in the blink of a eye.He learned windows from me and learned Macs at school.If I ever breakdown and buy one, I guess this old guy will be getting schooled by a teenager.:cautious:

Last edited: Jun 26, 2012
  16. JRViejo

JRViejo Super Moderator

Removed Off Topic Posts. Let's stick to the topic please. Thank you.

17. Daveski17

+ 1 :thumb:

18. Daveski17

I like Macs. I like the OS. I don't like Win 8. The end.

19. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I agree, I like Macs also, and don't think much of Win 8. The only thing that holds me back about Macs is the price tag... So I stick with 7....

20. guest

guest Guest

Siiigh. Microsoft and some random OEM may lose you. I think I can live with that fact :D

21. Daveski17

Honestly, looking at the pig's ear that Win 8 is, it would be worth spending the extra dosh. I haven't any immediate plans to run out & buy a new laptop, but I fear that by the time that I do, the ugly hybrid will be on every laptop available! :eek:

22. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, when the time comes to buy a new laptop here, if all I can get on it is Win 8, then I'll consider alternatives like a Mac. But until then, the price (of a Mac) is hard to justify for me, seeing as how 7 is already so good and serves all my needs as is.

23. Dark Shadow

Dark Shadow Registered Member

Same here,I will stick to windows 7 like some are with XP before I ever consider win 8

24. xxJackxx

xxJackxx Registered Member

Just remember that if you buy a laptop with Windows 8 you should get downgrade rights to Windows 7, if you wish to do so.

If you bring a Macbook into a mixed environment, they aren't compatible with Windows viruses, but they can spread them. There are free Mac versions of some major brand antivirus programs which I am sure you would utilize. My suggestion is that if possible and you are considering a Macbook and not greatly familiar with them, see if someone has one you can borrow/rent or something for a few days and make sure you like it before making that kind of investment. I had considered one for a short time until I spent some time trying to figure out some issues with one belonging to a coworker. I decided they were not for me. Your opinion may differ.

25. guest

guest Guest

rofl Let dave migrate in peace to the OSX world. I'm sure he will absolutely love it when he tries to set a picture as background or merge folders or restore trash or... :D:D:D

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.