Appguard, Online Access and Error

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by SSri, Oct 2, 2014.

1. SSri

SSri Registered Member

Hello,

I recently installed appguard on my daughter's laptop as she hated sandboxie, which used to work fine without any issue for a couple of days but throw all kinds of messages and errors even while opening a browser another day. This happens even with no changes to system or updates.

I removed the SB and replaced it with an Appguard. Browsing and updates are not a problem. The problems are 1) accessing files from her university or saving files locally from word; 2) itunes, which opens fine but hangs a half-way through sync or backup; we need to close and re-open to face the same issue. Updating itunes also did not help.

I think both the former shows some memory issue or something like that, while the latter shows "Itunes has stopped working. Pressing OK would close the app. She knows it protects her comp but she is unable to resolve the problems. I have added all internet facing apps to guarded list.

Could some one help us understand what the issue could be and how to make correct settings in appguard? The settings are daunting. I read the help files and forum thread in vain. BTW, the protection level is set to medium.

Thanks,
    SSri

2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

What AppGuard blocking messages are you seeing?

Maybe also post your issue in the main AppGuard discussion thread for wider exposure: -

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/appguard-4-x-32-64-bit.355206/

Have a read of post #5 in that thread. It may help you to better understand how AppGuard works and how to customise it to solve problems.

Regarding the issue saving Word documents, it sounds as though the folder containing the documents is in system space. The AppGuard blocked events will confirm if that is the case. If so, section 2.2 of the tutuorial in post #5 will show you how to resolve the issue.

Regarding the iTunes issue, the blocked events in the AppGuard Activity Report may provide a clue. As a workaround until a solution is found, you could try suspending guarded execution for iTunes during sync or backup. To do that right-click the system tray icon while iTunes is running and select the Guarded Execution option from the right-click context menu to temporarily unguard it.

Hope that helps.

3. SSri

SSri Registered Member

Thanks Pegr. I will post this on the Appgaurd discussion thread.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.