AppGuard Beta is Live (64 Bit, MemoryGuard)

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Eirik, Jul 7, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Wanting to trial AG on my wifes x64, I clicked the download link at BRN site. It gave me Beta 1. I right clicked, save target as and got the Beta 2. Just for the record, she doesn't even know who or what Blue Ridge Networks is so she has never visited the site, meaning no cookies or temp files.

clicking link:

Untitled.jpg

save target as:
    Code:
    http://www.blueridgenetworks.com/support/appguard6432/AppGuard6432b2Setup.exe
    page source snippet:
    Code:
    <a href="AppGuard6432b2Setup.exe" class="button1" style="width:260px;margin:0;" align="left" onClick="Trackalyzer (14069, 'http://www.blueridgenetworks.com/support/appguard6432/AppGuard6432Setup.exe');pageTracker._trackPageview('/support/appguard6432/AppGuard6432Setup.exe'); " target="_blank">&gt; Download AppGuard 64/32 </a></p>
    both betas are listed

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  2. wearetheborg

wearetheborg Registered Member

That is one wierd behavior. I get the same beta2 file if I click, or right click.

3. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Is your browser IE8? Do you have it setup to open pretty much everything in a tab with popup blocker enabled?

4. wearetheborg

Nope, firefox under linux.

5. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Yes! It's geared towards "non-technical users". In my opinion, it's the best buy for a security app at the present time.

6. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I still get beta 1!

7. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

agree with GregS 100%

8. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

an advise here always when one test beta software is recomended to just run the beta alone with out layer mean while testing;) my 5 mexican pesos:D

9. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

Hi All,

I can confirm the problem too. I suspect there is a Javascript or maybe PHP error in the webpage. I don't know. When I mouse-over the link it reports the correct download link. Once I download, depending on web browser, it either downloads both the first and the second one, or just one of them (either). With Firefox, I've seen it appear to start to download the correct one but pause, require another click, and then it downloads the first one.

Until the webmaster can identify and correct, please try this direct download link, pasted below in text as well.

http://www.blueridgenetworks.com/support/appguard6432/AppGuard6432b2Setup.exe

Installation File Attributes

File Name: AppGuard6432b2Setup.exe
    File Size: 13,041 K
    SHA1: c4ace02e1cb87a104870d02233d196d7926f549e

When those of you have downloaded the beta1, despite our intents, are you seeing a web page that says at the top:

AppGuard 64/32 Beta (Version 2.0.6)

I heartily apologize for the inconvenience to those affected. Moreover, I'm quite embarrassed.

Eirik :mad:

Update: I compared the SHA1 hash checksum of the beta1 that is being downloaded despite our wishes with the SHA1 hash checksum of the install file I submitted to the webmaster in early July. They are a match.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  10. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Hi Eirik,

I now have the 2.0.6 beta running on my Windows XP system. My initial impressions are as follows: -

I upgraded over the top of 1.4.7 with MBRGuard already installed. The installer correctly detected the upgrade and everything went smoothly; all of my previous settings were successfully retained.

The slow boot problem that I reported previously has not been completely eliminated but is much reduced. The additional boot time has reduced from 20 seconds to 12 seconds, so a definite improvement there.

Even though I'm running in an admin account, under Advanced Settings, the User Name and Password fields are disabled (greyed out). Not sure if this is intentional or whether this is a bug. Doesn't seem to have affected anything though, as I'm still able to suspend and enable protections, add folder excusions, etc.

IMO, the renaming of Drive-By Download Protection Settings to User-Space Protection is a good idea. It makes things clearer conceptually as it emphasises the relationship between the launching of unguarded applications and user space.

In a similar vein, I would like to suggest that Exception Folders settings under the Guarded Applications tab be renamed to System-Space Protection, with the addition of Allow & Deny tabs, similar to User-Space Protection settings. This would make clearer the relationship between guarded applications and write access to folders in system space. It would also enable additional partitions and folders to be protected against write access at user discretion.

As I'm running Windows XP, I'm unable to test MemoryGuard. Apart from that everything is running normally and I haven't experienced any problems or unusual behaviour since installing the beta. It's running exactly the same as 1.4.7 and apart from the additional features, I haven't noticed any difference. If the situation changes, I'll report back.

Regards

11. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I was under the impression that this had to do with Parental Controls and needed two users for activating, one Admin user and one Limited/Basic user. Maybe I've misunderstood?

12. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

Yes, plus one must turn on the parental controls. Otherwise, the mentioned fields are greyed out. There are detailed descriptions in the built-in Help guide.

Cheers

Eirik

13. wearetheborg

Eirik, when will the third beta be out?

14. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

JE, those are from Memory Guard and the two you mention are condsidered normal. Send your logs to BRN. I think somewhere in this topic or maybe on BRN website is instructions on how to Beta Test. It's my understanding that they are using the logs/info in these Betas to refine AG's Memory Guard Protection as well as other settings/functions.

15. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

1st week of September, give or take a few days.

16. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

Excellent answer.

A likely new feature will be a new button that gathers host environment data, logs, policy, and whatever else makes sense and respects privacy.

17. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

We're considering the addition of the following to the default guard list:

.exe (and the 64 bit equivalent)
    Regsrv32.exe (did I spell that right?)
    cmd.exe

AppGuard old timers may recall our reluctance to do this, fearing it might confuse non-tech folk. If any of you do/would guard these, we'd love to learn of any undesired blocking events related to 3rd party software. If you consider yourself non-tech, you might want to sit this beta request out.

Thanks

Eirik

18. wearetheborg

Er, could you send me a pointer to the instructions?

19. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Is X-Plane really a program? If so, try adding it to the Guarded Applications. I had an app in one of the first AG releases that gave me problems. At the advice of Eirik, I added it to the Guarded Applications list and it worked perfect. I don't remember the specifics of it, but I think the app was in a folder on the desktop but I had it setup to autostart via one of the startup locations.

20. justenough

justenough Registered Member

I deleted my posts here, I couldn't get the hang of this program and had too many questions, they were just cluttering up the thread without the answers I needed to solve some computer hang-ups this weekend. I'll be looking for the public release of AppGuard.

21. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Hi Eirik,

Thanks to you and Greg S for the clarification. Looks like I didn't quite understand how it was supposed to work. :oops:

What did you think of the suggestion I made about renaming Exception Folders in Guarded Applications to System-Space Protection and adding a Deny tab to the implicit Allow tab?

Regards

22. stackz

stackz Registered Member

.exe (and the 64 bit equivalent)? lol, any one in particular?
    regsrvr32.exe - I'll give you half marks for the spelling. :cautious:

23. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

24. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

Loved it! It will probably be in the next build.

25. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

Lol. I must have posted this from my iPhone, as I am now. The keyboard fills up over half the screen, and the font size maxes out. I should use the preview fn.

I meant to type rundll32.exe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.