AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit - Releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have Win 7 x64 Pro and I am using Office Professioinal 2010 x32 and have no issues at all.

2. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

No problems here either with W7 x64 with MS Office Home & Business 2013 (up to date with patches) and Appguard 4.4.6.1

3. guest

guest Guest

mine is Office 2016 pro plus , not the click to run thingy.

4. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I'm using Microsoft Office 365 ProPlus version 1706 (build 8229.2073 Click-to-Run) on Windows 10 Professional.

5. Lockdown

Lockdown Registered Member

@Cutting_Edgetech

A.

Would you please disable Ignore Message for HKLM writes as outlined here:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/appguard-4-x-32-64-bit.355206/page-307#post-2695157

This will log registry write blocks to HKLM in Activity Report.

B.

Would you also please try disabling MemWrite in Guarded Apps list for WinWord.exe. Then reboot system.

The rationale is that if MemWrite is disabled and the WinWord.exe "Stopped Working" error still happens, then it probably isn't MemoryGuard.

We have conducted extensive internal testing and we are seeing Office365 and Office 2016 misbehave both with and without AppGuard installed; something "Stopped Working" is the most commonly seen problem. So with misbehavior in both the Office product installed and uninstalled state, it is a challenge connecting the dots if there are any dots to connect.

Microsoft pushed memory corruption vulnerability that result in RCE hotfixes for Office, Excel and Outlook in June and July. We have reached out to Microsoft Sustained Engineering and awaiting a response to eliminate those security hotfixes as causes\contributors. The CVE release dates correspond to problem reports made by only a handful of AppGuard users. It could be something or it could be nothing. It is a process of elimination.

6. Cutting_Edgetech

Ok, I just enabled Event Logging again for HKLM, and unticked MemWrite for Word. I don't use Outlook though even though I have it. I don't use a mail client.

7. Lockdown

Lockdown Registered Member

Thanks for doing that. Please keep me posted. Tracking this issue down has been a challenge since there are few people reporting it. On top of it, when a program misbehaves with both AG installed and not installed, it is a pain-staking process of elimination to establish if there is a correlation.

8. guest

guest Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 31, 2017
  9. guest

guest Guest

@Mister X Oh, it was working 10mn earlier...

Ok, i see , typo in the link, edited. Very small article by the way ^^

10. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It is exciting and I for one am glad to have an enterprise grade product on my machines.

11. Cutting_Edgetech

Even if AG is triggering the problem, I believe Microsoft is to blame also. I honestly can't stand Windows 10. It has been nothing, but a pain in a**.

20 minutes after I collected all the logs for this Word issue, Windows began to upgrade to Windows 10 Creators Edition again. I tried stopping it, but was unable. I had defer feature updates ticked, but it did nothing to stop Windows 10 from updating to Windows 10 Creators Edition. Microsoft moved the Metered Internet Connection, and no one seemed to know where the hell they moved it to. I rolled my computer back 4 times, and Windows would begin downloading the updates all over again. I have no Internet access when Windows 10 downloads updates because it uses 100% of my bandwidth. I finally found the metered internet connection, but I had already lost an entire day dealing with the problem. This happen on the last day of my summer session when all assignments were due. I honestly wish I could sue Microsoft.

I don't want to update to Windows 10 Creators Edition until I have time to install it as a new install. The upgrade destroyed my system the last time, and I lost an entire day from working on my assignments. I have images of the damage caused by this update if anyone is interested in seeing them. My applications had all exchanged names with other applications on my system. All the menus were unreadable, it created a second Windows installation directory doubling my Windows backup size, it created a third partition on my disk that could not be removed using a full format from a command prompt using Windows 7 Ultimate installation DVD. I could not roll my computer back using Shadow Protect due to the extra partition created. Shadow Protect would inform me there was not enough space on the disk for the restore image.

I use Linux mostly now for my own use. I would not even use Windows 10 if I did not have to for School, and Work. I do like Microsoft Office Suite, but now it's giving me problems. IMO Microsoft is headed in the wrong direction.

Edited 07/31/17 @10:43

Last edited: Jul 31, 2017
  12. Cutting_Edgetech

Do you want the logs, and other data I collected?

13. illumination

illumination Guest

:thumb:

I wont ever be without it, as it has become an integral part of my configuration and shall remain so.

14. Cutting_Edgetech

It's been a main part of my setup since it was first released for beta testing.

15. Cutting_Edgetech

I have not had anymore problems with Word since disabling MemWrite protection for Word, but that's not saying much. I just finished the Summer session so I want be using Word much until the Fall Semester starts. I have been launching it randomly to make sure it does not get blocked, but it's possible there's something specific that I use in Word that is triggering the problem. I will continue to monitor, and I will report back if I experience any problems. Hopefully it will happen while school is out so I have time to trouble shoot, and report.

16. guest

guest Guest

same here, once you go Appguard , you don't look back , can't say the same for its competitors.

17. itman

itman Registered Member

https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4041485

You can also set metered connection option for your Ethernet connection in Win 10 CE w/o doing the registry hack needed previously.

18. Cutting_Edgetech

Yes, I found the Metered Internet Connection. I stated that I just had a hard time finding it because they moved it. Thanks though!

Microsoft needs to give the option to choose when to download, and when to install updates. Also, if they want to push out Creators Edition, then they need to push it out to everyone. More people would complain then, and they might due something about it. They have been pushing it out to me for the past 2 months causing ridiculous problems that I have never had to deal with before. I had defer new feature updates ticked in the update settings, and they pushed it out to me anyway. It takes no less than 6 hours to upgrade to Windows 10 Creators Edition on my slow internet. I have to wait through the downloads, and then wait for the installation to complete, which takes even longer than the downloads. They did this to me on the last day of the Semester. I had finals, and assignments to turn in. I couldn't do the assignments, and finals on another computer because I already had all the software installed, and configured for my work.

It's stupid that they don't give options to choose when to download, and install updates. I cannot even use the internet when the updates are downloading. It uses 100% of my bandwidth. I can not open a single web page when updates are downloading. I lost at least 3 whole days out of the semester dealing with Microsoft's horrible business practices. I had to contact my professors, and explain to them why I could not take my finals on the day they were due, and why I could not finish my remaining assignments.

I only use Linux for my own personal use. Wish I did not have to use Windows at all. The only thing I like about Windows is their Office Suite, and now it has become really buggy recently. I will only use Windows when it's required for work, or school. I was forced to upgrade from Windows 7 to 10 because of bugs that Microsoft introduced to Windows 7 that made it impossible to use Windows updater. I could no longer connect to their update servers. I tried manual updates, and they failed also. The Windows 7 bugs were confirmed by Microsoft, and they were not concerned about fixing them. This was months ago, but now i'm stuck with this lemon of an OS. Give common sense update options... how hard is that!?

Edited 8/1/2017 @ 11:32

Last edited: Aug 1, 2017
  19. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Hi. You took this route while having other options for Win 7 at your disposal, e.gr., installing security updates only, manually downloaded and manually installed. It works.

20. Cutting_Edgetech

It did not work on my machines. I contacted upper level support from Microsoft, and they could not get it to work using remote connections. They finally informed me after many hours of trying that they had bugs on their end, and there was nothing they could do about it until they fixed the bugs. I had to have a working computer for classes, so the only option they left me was to update to Windows 10.

21. itman

itman Registered Member

Well, its there in Win 10 under Update settings - active hours. However, it doesn't apply when using a metered connection. Nor will update checking work under metered connection; you have to do it manually. Eset has a nifty feature that will alert me when Win updates are available and it does so prior to any alert I would receive from Win 10 in non-metered mode. I believe they check the Win Catalog.

I really never had any issues browsing while Win 10 updates were underway. One reason is the MS servers "throttle" your connection so the downloading isn't continuous; at least on my build that is the case.

22. itman

itman Registered Member

Actually, you could have downloaded the updates from the Win Catalog which BTW is much faster.

23. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

24. Cutting_Edgetech

Microsoft Update uses 100% of my bandwidth. I can't access a single web page when Microsoft update is running.

25. Cutting_Edgetech

I tried downloading, and installing the rollup updates from Microsoft, but they would not install. I contacted Microsoft, and they could not get them to install either. Their upper level tech support had no luck after trying for an entire day. This was on freshly formated machines. They informed me they had identified several bugs on their end, and my only option was to update to Windows 10 if I needed an updated computer.

They have probably fixed the bugs by now since this was about a year ago. It's way too late to go back now. I can't change my license back to Windows 7, and I read that Windows 7 is no longer being patched regularly, or something.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.