AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit - Releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

:);):confused: This is this is the single most bizarre conversation I've ever been involved in. It's hysterical.

Both Barb_C an Fleishman say AG prevents a guarded apps reading or writing to another apps memory and I'm wrong! That's what I've been saying for the last 2 days ;).

'You've fair cheered me up' as we say in this part of the world. This forum often lacks humour - not today.

Anyway let's say we've been having communication issues? We can then leave it to readers to work it out for themselves.

Cheers

2. syrinx

syrinx Registered Member

I'm currently running all three together with no issues. (Once you set the proper AG rules for sandboxie.)

3. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Yes, you can run all three without any conflicts or other issues. You just have to make sure that Sandboxie's container folder is set as an exception folder with write access within AppGuard if it is in the default location of C:\Sandbox. If it has been relocated onto an alternate drive, you don't have to do anything to give it write access because it will then be in user space anyway.

EDIT: When you want to customise read/write permissions (read/write, read-only, deny), you use the Guarded Apps tab. When you want to customise user space launch permissions (include = yes, include = no), you use the User Space tab. This may help to make it clear:

AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  4. meatouph

meatouph Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 5, 2014
  5. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

@meatouph @kjdemuth
    Good Morning!:thumb:

Thank you for sharing your knowledge and insight to my question.
    I truly appreciate your answer. Feel free to post additional information
    that help me from making a BIG mistake with PC's.
    @peqr
    The additional detail about AppGuard is truly very helpful.

Many thanks!

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  6. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

I'm confused. Are you getting notifications that version 4.0.17.1 is ready for download. Will you post a screenshot of your AppGuard About Box (or send it to AppGuard@BlueRidge.com)?

We haven't changed anything on the "4.0" server. We're using a different server for 4.1.

7. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Chris, I'm trying to have a sense of humor about this exchange as well. I didn't like the "finally given some clarity" remark as I've previously responded to this particular question on this thread (or perhaps it was the original AppGuard thread) and if I had the time, I would search for them and reference them here, but too busy for that.

8. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Did you check our Website with respect to how to customize AppGuard policy so that it will work with Sandboxie: http://www.appguardus.com/index.php/support/appguard-support

9. meatouph

meatouph Guest

Thank you, Chrome works now. What about Keepass I posted #1904, is it right rule? I had to add same rule for qBittorrent

08/05/14 13:15:48 Prevented process <keepass.exe | c:\windows\explorer.exe> from launching from <d:\program files (x86)\keepass>.

08/05/14 16:53:54 Prevented process <qbittorrent.exe | c:\windows\explorer.exe> from launching from <d:\program files (x86)\qbittorrent>.

08/05/14 16:57:08 Prevented process <napisy.exe | c:\windows\explorer.exe> from launching from <d:\program files (x86)\napiprojekt>.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 6, 2014
  10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

You´re both kidding me right? This is getting bizarre indeed. I´m not sure if this is about a "communication issue" anymore. What I´m saying is: EMET works differently compared to Memory Guard, you seemed to agree with that. After that, Barb_C confirmed that AG is not trying to stop exploits with the same exploit mitigation techniques provided by EMET. Please read post #1892 again, FleischmannTV explained exactly what this "issue" is about. :)

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/appguard-4-x-32-64-bit.355206/page-76#post-2397164

11. Rasheed187

Well, what I meant with the "finally" remark, is that in another thread you gave a quite lengthy explanation about the inner workings of the Memory Guard, without clearly indicating that it isn´t offering the same exploit mitigations as EMET. And is this thread you also didn´t seem to understand my point, before FleischmannTV stepped in. :)

12. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

I agree with you Rasheed that nobody responded to what you where actually inquiring. You wanted to know if Memory Guard could prevent code execution in, say, the browser's memory or if it just prevents the attacker from injecting into other processes once the browser has been compromised.

AppGuard doesn't prevent the memory attack from happening (that's what you really wanted to know), it simply assumes that it's already in effect and prevents it from spreading further.

So when we are talking about exploits, this differentiation actually matters. I am not sure if MemoryGuard would be of any use against the FBI's TOR browser exploit for example.

13. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Is there any news on whether an option is coming to use the bi-directional MemoryGuard like in v3?

14. Rasheed187

@ FleischmannTV

Yes exactly, there are all kinds of exploits, standard ones, but also advanced ones, so I´m just trying to figure out if apps like EXE Radar and AG are good enough to stop even the advanced ones, but without any hardcore testing we will probably never know. My feeling is that it´s probably best to use ERP and/or AG combined with EMET or similar tools. :)

What do you mean with that, what was different about it?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  15. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

The MG in AG 4 (depending on your configuration) blocks Guarded Processes from reading and writing to other processes memory.
    The MG in AG 3 did that and also blocked other processes from reading and writing to memory of Guarded processes.
    They changed it because of user-friendlyness; the user needed to create more MG exceptions to allow legit application access the the memory of Guarded applications.

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

On this memory guard thing. Okay, so something runs code in firefox memory, and memory guard doesn't prevent it. But can that code do any damage without the ability to spread that code to other processes memory? and that Appguard does prevent.

Rasheed, it sometimes comes down to trust. Barb_C has stated that she has independent tests that shows Appguard did a better job then EMET, but can't release the report. So it comes down to do you believe her or not. I DO!!!.

Currently I run SBIE,Appguard, ERP, EMET and am beta testing EMSISOFTs EIS. I run EIS because I test for them, but I would be very comfortable dropping EIS, and EMET, and not feel anyless secure. I leave EMET on as I have no conflicts, or problems with it. First sign of issues it would go.

Pete

17. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

This had nothing to do with trust or what's better, it was a simple inquiry as to how something works.

18. CoolWebSearch

CoolWebSearch Registered Member

So what does stop/prevent memory attacks from happening?
    Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit and what else?
    Anyway, I always wanted to know if AppGuard and Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit can co-exist together on computer...

19. CoolWebSearch

Than how does EMET work compared to AppGuard, what are key differences?

20. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Well my misunderstanding of your question certainly wasn't intentional, but when I see a statement like "AG´s Memory Guard is not designed to stop memory corruption/exploitation...", I have to disagree. That's exactly what MG is designed to do (okay, yes a browser may become temporarily infected after going to a malicious website, but the attack will be contained and it will not persist after a reboot - unless you go to the site again and become reinfected).

With respect to answering how AppGuard's exploit mitigations compare to EMET's mitigations, I am not an expert in EMET and don't feel qualified to answer. I just know in a head-to-head test against EMET last year, AppGuard stopped 100% of the malware thrown at it, while EMET only stopped 80%. I will ask our Chief Software Architect to explain how the approaches differ and get back to you (he will certainly know). He's at Black Hat/DefCon this week so it might be a while before he gets back to me (and I to you, but it isn't because I'm avoiding the question).

21. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

I also want to add, that we would never recommend that you don't use EMET. The fact that the products are using different techniques (I'm basing this on what Rasheed has indicated), is even a better reason to use them in conjunction. If they were using similar techniques then I would say you should just choose the one that works best for you but because they work differently you are actually increasing your protection profile by using them both (vs. an example where you might install two AVs - there would be little point in doing that because they pretty much operate the same way and are going to let the same types of attacks through). Make sense?

22. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

I just noticed that you are using "d:\program files (x86)" for your program files. Is that your official program files directory (or do you also have a C:\program files (x86) directory)?

It looks like AppGuard is treating "D:\Program Files (x86)" as user space, but if this is your "official" program files directory (by official, I mean that your Windows Environment variables are pointing to that directory), then AppGuard *should* be treating it as system space. Anyway, by classifying it as User-space folder, AppGuard is going to block any program launched from that directory in Locked Down and only allow digitally signed apps to launch in Medium level. The solution is to either Guard every application in that directory (which I don't recommend) or add D:\Program Files (x86) as a protected folder and then exclude it from user-space. This is all documented in the help file, but if you need more assistance, please email AppGuard@BlueRidge.com.

23. CoolWebSearch

Ok, thanks for your help here in advance and I'm very curious what are the methods what are differences in methods between EMET and AppGuard, which allows AppGuard to pass/block all security tests, while the EMET blocks only 80% of them; but I have one more question regarding your answer to Rasheed: you said that: That's exactly what MG is designed to do (okay, yes a browser may become temporarily infected after going to a malicious website, but the attack will be contained and it will not persist after a reboot - unless you go to the site again and become reinfected-but wouldn't AppGuard again contain and block attack when you go to the website again, and every single time when you go to malicious website?

24. CoolWebSearch

Would Appguard still protect, contain and block against digitally-signed malware so that it cannot alter my registry and system directories even on Medium level, because this is the level I use, personally I'd tweak to to Lockdown mode, but I'm just too busy and without time to do this tweak.

25. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Given that the objectives of EMET and MemoryGuard are different, if this article is to be believed, it may be easier to bypass EMET's exploit prevention than AppGuard's exploit containment:

http://www.pcworld.com/article/2101...in-microsofts-emet-antiexploitation-tool.html

I read Barb's reply as meaning that each time a malicious website is visited, the browser will become temporarily infected, but it will be contained by AppGuard from doing permanent damage to the system. This reinforces the point that the primary goal of AppGuard is the protection of objects inside the trusted enclave. Objects outside the enclave may become infected but they must never be allowed to compromise objects inside the enclave.

My understanding is that this is why BRN also recommends the use of AV/AM to remove any infections that may be present in user space, which AppGuard will have prevented from invading system space. AppGuard is designed to contain zero-day attacks in real-time in order to give the AV/AM scanner a chance to play catch-up later.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.