AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit - Releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

2. dja2k

dja2k Registered Member

Sent an Email last night to try out the new beta.

dja2k

3. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

As a German user I am delighted that there are now programs listed in 'Add a program'. It has always been empty before.

addprograms.PNG

4. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

5. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Auto-Install does not work in Locked Down.

6. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Thanks for the info!

7. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Should be okay to install over 4.0 (and your 4.0 license should still be valid).

Last edited: Jun 24, 2014
  8. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Yes, anything is possible. Seriously, it is on our road map (but we have a long road map).

9. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Sorry, that is a test setting that inadvertantly got left in. It is removed and we will be providing an update later this week (maybe even as soon as tomorrow).

10. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

There should not be a limit on the number of installs on the same PC (unless you mean on mulitple VMs on the same machine). If you are connected to the Internet during an uninstall, your activation count will be incremented and you should be able to install on another machine.

11. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Thanks for the feedback. As far as the terminology, we've had the reverse comment. Si we'd be interested in hearing others opinions on this.

We've tried in the past to suppress the alert from Windows, but the developer that was working it at the time wasn't successful - perhaps its time for a re-look.

We can look at trying to make the AppGuard pop-up "appear on top", but as far as it being redundant, I think it is still of some value. Some users aren't aware that they are getting the Windows alert because AppGuard blocked something. This is just reminding them that AppGuard caused it. If you find it redundant, then check the box saying you don't want to see it again. Would it be preferable to have a toaster message instead?

12. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Good suggestion. Would you want a status message in the AppGuard activity report or perhaps a message on the main GUI?

13. Syobon

Syobon Registered Member

can't wait for the new 4.1! loving appguard so far, together with sandboxie and emet, killer setup.

14. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

It is troublesome that you got different results in 4.0 because the functionality in this area should not have changed so I will have our QA department investigate (they've already found one anomaly with the Trusted Publisher list and perhaps it is related).

15. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Good suggestion. I'll add it to our list of candidate future enhancements. You still have power apps option on the Advanced Tab.

16. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

I don't think that the publisher list is in effect in Locked Down. Not sure what is going on then.

17. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

I'm glad that you're pleased.

18. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Thanks to all who are participating in the Beta. We've already made some bug fixes based on the feedback here and hope to get a release out tomorrow or Thursday. I'd like you all to test the self-update feature. I have to do some homework to explain how it is supposed to work (for instance, how often it checks if you have it set to check for updates periodically). I do believe that you have to have the protection level in Medium of Install for it to work.

19. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Thanks for reporting this. I thought I had seen this as well in my own testing, but thought that perhaps I had turned AppGuard off prior to the uninstall and forgotten (my memory isn't what it used to be!). I think what is happening is that during the uninstall, we turn AppGuard off and the next instance of AppGuard is remembering that setting. Anyway, I've entered it as a bug and we will investigate. I don't think this will happen on a clean install though.
    Duly noted. Will reconsider this change. Also, I think we're going to eventually implement PEGR's suggestion of having a separate "Folders/File System" policy tab which would combine user-space, system-space folder settings in one place). In that case, the publisher list will be on its own again.
    The "Level" is for the "Auto-Install" feature. When in the Medium protection level, if the Publisher Level is set to "Install", then when an exe or msi from that publisher is launched, AppGuard will automatically reduce the protection to the Install Level. We did that for our AOL Tech Fortress product (and in that case, all AOL partner publishers are set to "Install") so that AppGuard would not interfere with their customers' installation of other partner products. In our product, we're only using this for Blue Ridge cert to facilitate our Self Update feature (but you can turn it on for other publishers if you want).
    Thanks!

20. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Here is a screen shot of Power Apps. It is where it was in the previous version.

Attached Files:

21. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

Any word yet on the import/export feature?

22. Thanks, will be buying an Asus T100 soon (my son "borrowed" my Asus TF301 permanently) and will putting AppGuard on it. Have not used AppGuard on my PC since V2, obviously overlooked it.

I can imagine different modes allowing security and controlled flexibility
    - Locked Down (with Poweraps for the power user to a granular control for allowing updates by selected programs).
    - Default allowing installs from trusted publishers as long as they are not triggered by guarded aps (this would be user friendly, set and forget)

23. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I have a problem. I want to allow Conhost.exe to write to memory of nplastpass.exe

Untitled2.png

I want to allow conhost.exe to write to memory of nplastpass.exe

Untitled1.png

I've set AppGuard to allow Guarded applications to write to nplastpass.exe... but still no luck. It just won't work. It keeps getting blocked! Conhost.exe is not set to Guarded btw.

Untitled3.png

Any solution?

I am not experiencing any issues in functionality of LastPass... but it seems to me I've done the proper settings in AppGuard to allow this action. Is it something I'm doing wrong?

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  24. stackz

stackz Registered Member

@shadek,

Seeing as you're not experiencing any problems with the functionality of LastPass, why not not just ignore the message?

25. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I am ignoring it. But I thought I'd test to see if I could get rid of it to learn more about AppGuard, but I can't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.