AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit - Releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Hi,

May I ask why everyone is so impressed with this app? :)

I can't figure it out, is AppGuard meant to protect only against drive by attacks?

Or is it also a behavior blocker?

2. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Does Appguard 4 only block guarded applications from reading, and writing to the memory of the System Space or does it block all User Space applications from reading and writing to the memory of the System Space?

3. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

All user space apps and guarded apps

4. Cutting_Edgetech

I was trying to remember what the change in the memory guard component was for version 4. I will have to go back, and look then. I thought the memory guard component only guarded memory read, and write for guarded apps now. I will see if I can find the really detailed user manual they released before AG 4 was finalized. I think I have it on another drive.

5. SLE

SLE Registered Member

User space applications are auto guarded (medium) or blocked. Even descriped in GUI...

6. Cutting_Edgetech

I was aware that userspace applications are guarded, or blocked. I was only referring to the memory guard module. Thanks for the replies!

7. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

In AppGuard 4.0, unGuarded applications launched from system space are permitted to read and write the memory of other processes. Previous versions of AppGuard prevented them from reading and writing the memory of Guarded Processes (in effect Guarding applications that weren't meant to be Guarded). User-space applications will be automatically Guarded and as a result they cannot read and write the memory of other processes.

8. siketa

siketa Registered Member

What do you think about an option for Medium setting that could allow the user to block execution of digitally signed files?
    That would enforce AG between current Medium and Lockdown modes.

9. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

My wife's PC: I asked my wife several times to change AppGuard's setting from Locked Down to the Recommended Setting each time she finishes surfing the web. She always remembers to make sure that it is set to Locked Down, but she always forgets to change the setting back to the Recommended Setting. Can this cause any problems/issues? This practice has been going on for several weeks, and I have not detected any problems/issues and the PC seems to be functioning normally.

Note: I have Windows Updates set to prompt. I always turn AppGuard Off, then download and install the Windows Updates. Therefore, the Windows Updates on her PC should not be affected. The same applies for updating other software installations.

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

windows updates is whitelisted already by appguard I believe:)

11. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Supposedly so, but my experience on Windows XP is that some updates work and some don't. I have automatic updates set to notify and always lower the protection level to Install before applying Windows Updates to make sure.

12. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

ah I see thanks man:thumb:

13. Cutting_Edgetech

Thanks Barb!

14. Cutting_Edgetech

I always play it safe, and disable protection when installing Windows updates or installing other software.

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

just in case eh

16. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I do all updates manually. That said, I run Appguard at locked down on all my machines all the time. Yeah there are a few things you have to drop down for, but they are rare. Overall I like running at locked down.

Pete

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

same here peter I am lockdown 24 hours a day

18. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Needs to have an ability to add bulk programs to power programs. I should be able to go into the Avira directory, highly all of the EXE's, then add. Doing them one at a time, when the program defaults back out each time, going back through the directory structure is intensely annoying. I suppose I could edit the XML file, but wish it was easier within the program.

19. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Though I have no experience combining specifically Avira with AppGuard, as of AppGuard 4.x the need for power applications should be quite rare. I have tried it with several anti-viruses (EAM, KIS, F-Secure...) and so far none of their processes needed to be added as power apps.

20. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Appguard log one morning was filled with blocks to Avira attempting to update some aspects of it's product (EXE's, not just VirDat). So figured I should add it in just to be safe.

21. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

I have used Avira + AppGuard combo for a long time and I never saw such a situation. Do you have Avira installed in C: drive ? Unless you add any program in system space as guarded app it should not affect that software. If its the program update then I understand, but updating definitions and scanning should go fine. Since program updates happen once in a while, you don't have to add them to power apps. Just bring down the protection level and do the update.

22. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

I like it :)

23. Cutting_Edgetech

How much of a threat do .Jar files pose? I thought .jar was an archive, or wrapper. I have a flashcard app I can run from the userspace with the .jar extension without a peep out of AG.

24. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

what level of security did you use?

25. Cutting_Edgetech

Locked Down Mode. You can get the application here -http://sourceforge.net/projects/jmemorize/-

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.