AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit - Releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

One thing I have some concern about is Blueridge folks look like a laundry list of spooks, ex-spooks, DOD, DHS types. Not sure if/how we need to be concerned by this? For example, taken form a few advisor/board/company bios;

http://www.blueridge.com/index.php/company/team/senior-advisors

Recently retired from the position of Chief Information Security Officer to the Central Intelligence Agency, a position he has held for the past 15 years.

Prior to joining TSA, he served as the Director of Intelligence at the US Department of Transportation

Has held positions such as National Security Affairs Analyst, specializing in SDI, anti-terrorism, arms control and defense procurement reform. He also co-founded Space Imaging (now known as GeoEye).

25 years of executive achievements that span DoD Project Management and Private Industry and include experience across all Military Departments, DoD Agencies, OSD, Congress and Congressional Staff.

Also former employees from Booz Allen Hamilton (NSA Intelligence gathering contractors) (Snowden sniffed his cookies from Booz). Sentinel Satellite (Spy Sats), and a few other places. Also I noticed on the NSA website they list you as a TTP 'partner'.. Given my general avoidance of all US-Corporate security/privacy products, should I be concerned? Privacy policy appears wide open;

Blue Ridge may access and disclose any information it considers necessary or appropriate, including, without limitation, user profile information (i.e., name, e-mail address, etc.), IP addressing and traffic information, usage history, and posted Content.

Just some thoughts. Not trying to stir anything up. Has anyone else raised these concerns? So far I am impressed with the nice folks at BR, support included. But these concerns nag me a bit.

2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

The way I read this in the context it was stated is that it applies to the use of, and interaction with, the BRN website, not AppGuard itself. AFAIK, the only monitoring that AppGuard does are licensing checks and checks for program updates at system startup.

I guess we'll have to wait and see what Barb says about this.

3. blacknight

blacknight Registered Member

It would not bad a comment from Barb_C ;)

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Then Don't!!!. Either use the product or not, but don't stir up this kind of stuff in this thread.

Any more posts along this line will go away. Barb please don't respond.

Pete

5. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

He goes around stirring the mud up about just about every program... He seems to really hate Webroot.

6. Peter2150

Like I said, no more posts about all this.

7. Peter2150

3 off topic posts removed.

8. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Looks like a good resume to me :thumb:

9. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I agree. :thumb:

One of the reasons I originally decided to go with AppGuard was because BRN have a strong team of people with impressive security credentials. I felt comfortable knowing that BRN's main business is providing cybersecurity to government and commercial enterprises, and that AppGuard has been built by people with a lot of experience in the security industry.

10. blacknight

So I.Only some quandary about Privacy policy now.

11. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I don't have any concerns about the privacy policy because, read in context, it is clearly intended to apply to the website and the use of BRN online services, not AppGuard. If I've read it correctly, it is simply a statement relating to protection of BRN online assets against misuse, which seems perfectly reasonable to me.

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  12. blacknight

So I hoped, nice to see you too believe this.

13. Peter2150

I agree with PEGR. I've had personal conversations with several Blueridge people, and have nothing but the highest regard. I feel as comfortable with them as I am with Appguard.

Pete

14. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Moments ago, AOL and Blue Ridge announced the launch of a new zero-day malware prevention software program – AOL Tech Fortress powered by AppGuard. This product is available to AOL premium customers. It is very similar to AppGuard as you know it, but has a few new features which will be released in AppGuard in the next few weeks. In preparation for the Tech Fortress launch we’ve had to restructure AppGuard pricing as many of you already noted. We do, however, have great regard for our Wilders friends. During this transition we are providing a short term promotional program for our Wilders community to purchase single or multiple AppGuard licenses at a discount:

• To receive $10 off the purchase of a single copy of AppGuard, enter the code “AppGuard1” at checkout.
    • To purchase 3 copies for $39.99, enter “WildersAG” at checkout.
    Note: These coupons cannot be combined.

I'll try to be online later this evening to field any questions about the differences between AppGuard and Tech Fortress. This is exciting news for us and I think it only means great things for the Blue Ridge AppGuard product going forward.

15. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

and we that have life time licences are going to be hon0r?:cool: :thumb:

16. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

Will customers that already own a license for Version 4.0 have to pay an upgrade fee for that upcoming Version?

17. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

PR blurb on this here;

http://www.prnewswire.com/news-rele...red-by-appguard-to-aol-members-246938871.html

Despite my reservations about a product this close to our govt. I have to admit it's ridiculous how good it is. I tossed it on a honeypot, and it's really remarkable how effective it is. As such, I would certainly recommend it as part of a layered approach. Also the great support, and friendly employees are impressive. :thumb:

18. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

I don't know yet. I would guess that since this release is coming out so close to our 4.0 release, there will not be a charge. I'll forward your question to the business side of the house.

19. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

Great news Barb. Congrats on your partnership.

20. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

21. Cutting_Edgetech

I'm very curious to find out what these new features are now. If its an Integrated AV/Antimalware product then I will be good with what I already have. I'm very happy with NOD 32. I would like to see Appguard integrate an AE (anti-executable) that uses whitelisting to give even more control over what is allowed to run on one's machine. :)

22. Austerity

Austerity Registered Member

Pretty sweet news for my favorite product.

23. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

I second that. Appguard in Medium level as per the user guide "Although the risk is mitigated by automatically Guarding all user space applications and prohibiting the execution of user space scripts, there will always be some risk whenever unknown applications are allowed to run." Combining it with whitelisting will be perfect.

24. Cutting_Edgetech

Pegr, i'm not sure i'm understanding you correctly. Sorry for pointing this out late. I'm seeing a different behavior on my machines. For example: I have Tor Browser Bundle, Process Hacker, and Comodo kill Switch in the user-space. The only way AG will allow them to run is by adding them to the guarded application list, or excluding them from the user-space. Tor Browser will not even run by guarding it since AG still blocks necessary components of the Tor Browser Bundle even when guarded. I have found the easiest way to get around this is to just exclude them from the user-space, or temporary disable AG to allow these applications to launch. Then reenabling AG once the application has launched. Is anyone else seeing a different behavior? This has always been the case on my machines.

Edited 2/24 @ 10:11. Never Mind Lol I have been on the computer too long today. Duh... you said System Space.. I thought I read Userspace earlier. I can't believe I misread that. I guess I should take a break from the computer for a while o_O

Last edited: Feb 24, 2014
  25. VoodooShield

VoodooShield Registered Member

Congratulations Blue Ridge Networks!!! It is remarkable to see a highly effective, "non-traditional" security technology such as AppGuard achieve this kind of recognition and to go "mainstream". Great job!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.