AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit - Releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Evening! DoctorPC...I agree...once you've paid for a lifetime license...New Version's should be automatic and certainly of no charge to the Loyal Customer. No company in these times can Afford to lose Customers...Period! Sincerely...Securon

2. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Send Barb an email at barb@blueridgenetworks.com That has happened to me several times. She took care of it pretty fast for me.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2014
  4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thank you buddy I will do that now:thumb:

5. Cutting_Edgetech

6. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

That's okay. You are free to not use the software.

7. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

@jmonge
    You will not face the problem if you uninstall appguard before formatting your PC. Uninstalling the software removes the registration information from the server. So you can register once again after you format the PC. Try this next time when you reformat.

8. Cutting_Edgetech

They average releasing a new version about ever 3 years, and you do not have to upgrade. You can continue to use the version you have without upgrading. I believe they gave free upgrades to everyone last time around. I'm pretty sure they did to everyone here at Wilders anyway.

9. Cutting_Edgetech

That's good to know. :thumb:

10. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thank you KaptainBug:thumb: :thumb:

11. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Lifetime licenses that aren't lifetime - CHECK
    DRM restricted activations - CHECK

They should re-evaluate this, it costs business. Stardock now limits activations, and once you reinstall a few times, your license is toast. Trust me they will not reset your license. After I switched from Windows Vista to 7, then a couple reinstalls of 7, then 8, then 8.1 it said I was over my threshold. Contacted support, and told 'sorry' no resets. Hit a torrent site, downloaded and activator, problem solved - a legit customer forced to those extremes?

It's bad business. Of course I am free to not use it, but companies need to realize how much business this costs them. Once I pay my dues I am done, and will surely seek alternative methods to bypass nonsense restrictions - after I've paid my dues.

I really hope Blueridge reconsiders these policies, then I might give it a try. Given my company services hundreds of clients a week, they stand to benefit greatly.

12. justenough

justenough Registered Member

Would a behavior blocker such as the one in Emsisoft AM (Mamutu) be useful or redundant with AppGuard?

DoctorPC I have a different view of the pricing for AppGuard, it seems more than reasonable for what you get.

13. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

a behabiour blocker is amust if you want to be inform of any strange activity

14. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I disagree. AppGuard will notify you in the log of any suspicious or malicious activity.

15. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

The strange activities will be blocked anyway. Yet most of the time even that's not needed, because the stuff won't be able to launch anyway.

16. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Definitely!

17. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Let me see, by your model, once you work for a customer, everything else you do for them is free, correct?

18. pegr

pegr Registered Member

As intelligent behaviour blockers are an extension of blacklisting, the technology has by-and-large been incorporated into antivirus programs, rather than continuing to exist as standalone programs. What the question really amounts to is: Is it useful to run a real-time antivirus alongside AppGuard?

A feature of AppGuard is that, unlike blacklisting approaches, AppGuard does not attempt to judge the intent of an application. AppGuard does not attempt to classify applications as good or bad. Behaviour is judged solely on its ability to compromise the system if allowed. There is no attempt to identify and prevent malicious behaviour as such. The problem with any approach based on detection of badness is that it is subject to error. AppGuard's policy restriction approach is not subject to this kind of error. AppGuard is so effective against malware that AppGuard can be deployed on its own with little risk of infection.

That said, as AppGuard is compatible with most other security programs, AppGuard can also be deployed as part of a layered security. Real-time antivirus is an option, but there are others too: anti-executable, HIPS, sandboxing, virtualization, etc. In the end, it is a question of user preference.

19. Cutting_Edgetech

They have always reset my license . I have a license for 13 PC's with them. I was not aware of anyone having a problem getting their license reset. Yours is the first I have heard of here at Wilders.

20. justenough

The consensus seems to be that a Behavior Blocker won't be doing that much along with AppGuard, so I'm turning the BB off in EAM. Thanks for the help.

21. justenough

Appreciate the overview pegr, for some reason it's taking more time than usual for me to understand AppGuard. Good thing that AG pretty much works as is, while I'm learning more about it.

In this case I was wondering about just the Behavior Blocker and not the complete AV, since I installed Emsisoft Anti-Malware to have right-click on-demand scans, and so turned off the real-time File Guard and Surf Protection, and left just the Behavior Blocker on. After reading your comments and the others here, I turned the BB off too.

22. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Here's a couple of additional things to consider that I didn't mention earlier.

AppGuard is designed to work quietly in the background without troubling the user with decisions about what to allow and what to deny. It will automatically block any behaviour that has the potential to compromise the system. This is different from blacklisting and it isn't the default-deny of an anti-executable based on whitelisting either. One way of describing how AppGuard works might be to call it "restrict the unsafe". This approach is so effective that the AppGuard protection level has to be temporarily lowered to Install in order to install software. As this disables most AppGuard protections, an additional real-time security layer such as an AV, BB, or HIPS could optionally be beneficial in order to monitor system changes for malicious behaviour during software installation.

By default, system-space executables are considered to be safe and run unguarded but this can be changed by adding executables to the guarded applications list. All unsafe system-space applications should be guarded. AppGuard automatically allows all guarded and unguarded system-space applications to run, albeit with different runtime policies. If it is desired to exert control over what is allowed to run from system-space, an anti-executable can be deployed, e.g. NVT ERP, configured to deny all executables not on the whitelist from running. It isn't necessary as AppGuard's drive-by download protection model is sufficient, but some users like to have more control over what runs on their system than is possible with AppGuard alone. Again, another option maybe worth considering.

23. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

That's actually correct. A set fee for HIPAA audit, and corrections, including followups as necessary to ensure compliance. So indeed that model works for me as well.

Generally when I purchase software, I won't be pigeoned into incessant upgrade fees. It's not economical, it doesn't make sense from a customers perspective, and it only costs a company business in the end. I understand that everyone is seeking residual income, it's great for a business, although it's bordering on a scam for consumers. It's very one sided - frankly. Personally, I actively avoid products with upgrade charges, and when possible avoid products with a yearly fee. When they are viable alternatives, it doesn't make sense, does it?

I also take whatever means necessary to ensure I'm not ripped off. TheBat! for example - $60 for the product, and $30 for every revision? Sorry, I'm hitting a torrent site to ensure I'm always up to date, I've paid my admission already. Assuming I use the product for 10 years, that's $60 vs $960.00 factoring 2-3 upgradeable releases a year? It's ludicrous to think a consumer, much less a business would keep paying like that.

I had a resellers license for Hitman, but dropped them like a rock due to activation issues, and upgrade fees. They've lost roughly 5,000 sales from my firm alone.

These companies are bananas.

24. DoctorPC

DoctorPC Banned

Also Appguard needs a 'family' license.

You know, 3 or even 5 computers for one great price. Or a license that works for X amount of activations within a family unit. It's pretty silly to think I would spend $149.00 to cover the 6 PC's I own, isn't it? (and I wouldn't bother to put it on just one PC)

Even Diskeeper now offers a 'family' license for $29.. That's $29 gained that otherwise they'd never see - frankly.. I just purchased a family license for Diskeeper after watching it for nearly a decade be overpriced.

Attached Files:

25. Securon

Securon Registered Member

Good Afternoon! DoctorPC! My own take is yearly renewal fee's I have no problems with...mind you it has to be self initiated...not part of the auto renewal on one's credit card. It's merely a Sales strategy exclusive to retention of revenue's that being the yearly renewal fee structure. The market at the moment is a Consumer directed one...and if your a savvy buyer...you'll know over time who or who isn't reputable. Sincerely...Securon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.