AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit - Releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Hopefully we will have a new release sometime this quarter. It will have the fix for Opera.

The only other significant bug that I'm aware of is an issue with Office 2013 64-bit on Windows 8.1. There is currently a work-around and a fix will be included in the next release.

AG 4.0 supports unicode.

Thanks for the kind words!

Speaking of another release: How many of you would be upset if we eliminated Parental Controls? It doesn't appear to be a widely used feature. Continuing to support it increases our development and test cycles.

2. KaptainBug

KaptainBug Registered Member

I don't use it Barb

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I have never user parental controls. I'm not sure how useful it is. What was it intended for? It looks like it is just a means for setting up AG on accounts across a network, or another user account on one's machine. Could you explain how it was intended to be used?

4. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Not using it here either.

5. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I don't use parental controls either.

6. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i use parental controls,just to secure my configuration;)

7. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I don't use parental controls.

8. stapp

stapp Global Moderator

9. justenough

justenough Registered Member

I don't use AppGuard's parental controls.

Is there a convenient way to use AppGuard to limit access to a D drive? I'm moving files that I know are safe on and off the drive a lot, but want to lock it down when I'm not using it.

10. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Set D:\ to "private". Guarded apps cannot access D:\ then... if that does not work, just add a specific folder that you put all the safe files in.

11. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

He has to set D:\ to Deny Access in Guarded Apps \ Folders and it will only apply to Guarded Apps with Privacy On. If you are at medium protection level, anything that launches from user-space, that has a digital signature and is not listed in Guarded Apps, runs with Privacy On by default.

If you are aiming at generally locking down access to that drive, AppGuard can't help you there.

12. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

This does seem odd. I'll see if our QA department can replicate and get back to you on what is going on. Perhaps you could try starting Chrome once in Install Level so that it can update the registry key. After Chrome is running, raise the protection back up and try downloading.

13. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

14. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I don't use parental controls.

15. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Looking for a simple explanation as to the difference between "Privacy" Mode and "Deny" Mode and when/why you would use one over the other?

16. Roberteyewhy

Roberteyewhy Registered Member

Media Center in 'Guarded Apps' has never worked on v4 in both 'Medium' and 'Locked Down' modes. Media Player works just fine.

Running Office 2013 x64 on Win 8.1 Pro x64 without any problems in 'Locked Down' mode.

I use 'Parental Controls' only to safeguard my configurations...just another layer of protection.:)

Thanks,
    Robert

17. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

sme here:)

18. shadek

shadek Registered Member

If you set a guarded app to Privacy = Yes, it means that the guarded app will not get any access at all to the "deny access" folders you've set.

19. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

So, what happens if a guarded app is set to Privacy, but no folders are set to Deny? I assume nothing happens - right?

20. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

That's correct.

21. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Yes, correct. :)

22. Roberteyewhy

Why does AG in 'Locked Down' mode allow Malewarebytes and Windows Defender to update their definitions?

Per the Help file:

"When not in the Locked Down Protection Level, AppGuard will allow User space applications and installations to execute if they are digitally signed by a publisher contained in the Trusted Publisher list."

Robert

23. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Because they are already installed as trusted (i.e. unguarded) system space applications.

24. Roberteyewhy

Thanks, pegr.

However, if that is the case, what other apps are automatically installed as Trusted by AG and where do you find that list?

Robert

25. pegr

pegr Registered Member

All executables in system space are automatically trusted unless explicitly added to the Guarded Apps list as untrusted. The default configuration of AppGuard when first installed has a number of applications that should be untrusted already defined in the Guarded Apps list.

One of the first tasks after installing AppGuard is to review the Guarded Apps list to see if there any other applications present in the system that should be untrusted. If there are, they should be manually added to the list.

Applications that should be untrusted include all Internet-facing applications plus applications used to load data files (e.g. office applications, document readers, media players, etc) that may contain embedded executable code.

The Guarded Apps list is accessed from the Guarded Apps tab by clicking the Customize... button on the main GUI screen.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.