AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit - Releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Your wasting your time trying to find the PID in the task manager. I have tried to since AG started giving PID, and have not found a single one.

2. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

You submit request for infos direct to Barb ?

What she says elsewhere on the thread is inconsistent with your findings...

GMER is portable app - correct ?

I have found same kind of issue with other security softs not being able to prevent portable app execution...

3. Cutting_Edgetech

I did not discover the problem until late today so I did not want to bother her. It would have been about the time she normally gets off work. I will report it tonight if I have a chance so she will have the email when she gets to work tomorrow. I've never had a problem with AG not being able to block a portable App. AG has no problem blocking GMER once it's protection becomes active.

Upated 2/29 @ 11:57
    I just reported this problem along with the update problem being experienced by everyone to Barb.

Last edited: Feb 29, 2016
  4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

The problem with the protection starting seems to be related to the start of network access, as I don't think Appguard starts until it has contacted the licensing server.

5. Cutting_Edgetech

I asked Barb about this several times, and she informed me this is not the case. She informed me that AG protection should work without internet access being made.

6. Peter2150

Will test

7. Moose World

Moose World Registered Member

@Cutting_Edgetech,

Thank you for the details and answer to my question in post # 4647.:thumb:

8. Cutting_Edgetech

No problem. Protection may become active earlier, or later after boot on different machines. I just reported AG behavior on my own machine.

9. Online_Sword

Online_Sword Registered Member

@Barb_C

Hi. I think I have a problem of updating AppGuard.

In the past, I installed AppGuard v4.2 on my laptop. When I find that v4.3 is released, I hope to update AG installed on my laptop.

In the "Advanced" tab, I click "Check for updates now". But AppGuard shows a pop-up window saying that "Update not available".:(

Would this be a network issue?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  10. Peter2150

Okay, I did the testing on my machines, Win 7 x64. Normally when I boot, I let the machine sit about 1 minute at the log on screen. This allows quite a few things to get started including the network connection. WHen I finally finish log on to the desktop the network is generally up and Appguard is running. But if I get to the log on screen and immediately let it continue, it takes a bit for the network to start. When appguard appears, hovering over it show the service isn't running. Only when the network connection is established does Appguard start. For me this is Appguards only flaw.

Pete

11. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Thanks Pete - so @Barb_C needs to check this out again.

12. Cutting_Edgetech

I'm actually seeing behavior on my machine that I took for coincidence that supports what you are saying. I noticed that on some occasions if my network connection is made sooner then AG activates itself when the network connection is made. If the network connection fails then AG activates itself anyway. Its seem like the protection could be dependent on obtaining a confirmation status from the network. Once that status is made AG activates itself regardless if internet access can be made. I tested at first without having to login to Windows so the desktop loaded faster, and it always took AG about 28-30 seconds to enable itself. I always executed an executable from the desktop to make sure the protection was not active to eliminate the GUI reporting an incorrect status. I must have tested at least 10 times, but it's probably closer to 15. I used a stop watch once the desktop loaded so my observation should be pretty accurate.

Edited 3/3 @ 1:20 am

13. Cutting_Edgetech

Here is me successfully executing GMER from the desktop 5 minutes after the desktop loaded. AG Protection never did enable itself until I responded to the internet request by LicenseQueryApp.exe.

Attached Files:

14. guest

guest Guest

LicenseQueryApp.exe (LicQueryApp.exe) is launched after each reboot?

I looked in my logs, and the last time it was executed on my system was several weeks ago (after i deinstalled/installed AG)

15. Cutting_Edgetech

I think it use to be executed about every 5 days, but I don't know what it is now.

16. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Anyone notice that there is a text-line bug in the Toaster alert ?

17. guest

guest Guest

Do you mean this?

Prevented process <...>
    fro
    m launching from
    <....
    ...>
    AppGuard_Toastermessage.png

Maybe the alert should be made a little wider, so the message is on 2-3 lines and is much better to read.

18. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Yes. That's it.

I still have the beta on my system. I wonder if it is on the 4.3 stable version as well ?

Anyhow, I think fixes are dead for a while...

19. guest

guest Guest

If you have 4.3.13.1 then you have the stable version.
    Download the file from their homepage "Download AppGuard Personal 4.3 Install Package" and compare it with the latest beta 4.3.13.1. They are the same.

20. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Yes. I see hash is identical.

Thanks @mood.

21. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

I agree. We will make schtasks.exe a default ignored message.!
    ARGGGHH. Not sure how we can fix this when we can't reproduce it here.

22. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

They are indeed the same!
    LicqueryApp.exe is always launched (at least it should be). It only tries to go out to the Internet about every 5 days.

23. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Hi,

Where can I see the change log between v4.2.8.1 and v4.3.13.1 versions?

Why the "Check for updates now" doesn't works?

Thanks

24. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Thanks! This was a case of where two rights make a wrong. The developer was putting in some carriage returns into the message before passing it to the function that displays the toaster. The toaster (part of a library we are using) was also doing it's own inserting of carriage returns (without noticing that there were already carriage returns). So we removed our carriage returns and made the message a little wider.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  25. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

I'll ask the Product Manager if they can make the change log available.

As many of you have pointed out and we discovered as well, our automatic update was having issues so we have turned off the notification. The update was actually working, but because it was considered a major upgrade by InstallShield (the tool that we use to create our installation packages) the service was being turned off during the upgrade and because of that all feedback to the user was turned off as well. So AppGuard would just turn off and there was no indication that the update completed or that it was successful. All that was required to make things right was a reboot but of course the user has no way to know that.

So we've been trying to figure out what is the best course of action at this point to get the update out there. We know that we have to add logic in our auto-update function to handle major updates, but that won't help those that have 4.2. So we're trying to figure out what we can do with the InstallPackage to alert the user of what to do. Because of the way the InstallPackage is launched during the auto-update process, it is prohibited from interacting with the desktop so it isn't that easy to accomplish any kind of user feedback. Because of that, we're looking at doing an email campaign as well.

Version 4.3 is the latest version and it is available to download for upgrade here: https://blueridgenetworks.s3.amazonaws.com/UpdateFolder/AppGuardSetup_4_3_13_1.exe

When you download and update manually you will be prompted to reboot your computer.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.