AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit - Releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

These are request that have been made by many users over the last 6 years. Some users don't like to use a bunch of different security apps on their PC. Most features like these don't have to be used. They are normally opt in features.

2. guest

guest Guest

that is true, it is why i use ERP alongside AG ; ERP giving what AG doesn't :D

this one is annoying, i feel like something is trying crawling in my system without me knowing what.. i don't like it ; imagine you are in your house and you hear weird noises in your cellar...but you can't pinpoint the source...feeling creepy ? :D

About sandboxie and AG, i never got any issues , i put the sandboxie's container on another partition and put that partition as user-space in AG.

3. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

:thumb: But no need to put it as AppGuard by default sets it in user-space anything is not system folders.

4. Cutting_Edgetech

I think some of you are not aware that many users have left AG after having so much trouble trying to allow applications to spawn child processes in the user-space. I use to have an application that was signed, and making it a trusted publisher still would not allow it to spawn a child process in the user-space. Making vulnerable applications Power Apps so they can spawn child processes in the user-space is not safe. Most users don't even understand how to configure AG to allow their applications when they run into this type of problem. Just because you don't need hashing support does not mean it is not needed. I have seen a lot of users come, and go because of this type of problem. Support for hashing would solve this problem.

5. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

I agree with you.

Could you post some sort of guide to resolve this type? Please.

6. Cutting_Edgetech

Also, the option to only allow digital certificates on the Publisher's List in Medium Protection Mode is definitely needed. Why on Earth would you want to allow all digitally signed files knowing how many Crypto-Malware are signed these days. The only option at the moment is to always run in Locked Down Mode. That is great, but the user's software cannot update in Locked Down Mode. Imagine the work environment where the user cannot disable AG to allow software updates. Medium Protection Mode may be essential then, and there's no sense in allowing all digitally signed files to execute when it's much safer to only allow the ones signed with digital certificates on the Publisher's List.

7. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi CE

You do have a good point. I use the Rhapsody Music service and it is a nightmare for Appguard. Totally installs in Appdata, and is started by Rundll32. It took some creative thinking combining Appguard, and ERP to get to work safely, and in Lockdown

8. Cutting_Edgetech

That's just it, there's not always a simple way for doing it. I would need an application to play with to make sure that what i'm explaining is correct. I explained how to do this in great detail in the past. I have not had to do it myself in a long time.The problem comes when the application is installed to the Appdata folder, or somewhere like C:\.

Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  9. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

OK I see.

10. Cutting_Edgetech

I know Peter. Some users here act as though there is something wrong for wanting to improve AG, and asking for essential functionality that AG has needed for a long time. They have not been using AG long enough to see the problems users have with AG, and why they leave AG.

11. Antarctica

Antarctica Registered Member

I have been using AG for 3-4 years now but I finally gave up. Using ERP, I find it easier to configure, at least for me.

12. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I know. I've changed my usage a bit. I've cut back trying to guard everything, and save it for critical stuff

13. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Thank! bookmarked #3901. rescache seems attracted to Activity Report.
    Prevented process <Console Window Host> from writing to <c:\windows\rescache\rc0025\rescache.hit>.
    Prevented process <Windows host process (Rundll32)> from writing to <c:\windows\rescache\rc0025\rescache.hit>.
    Okay, 025 is high and not 3rd party. Let me peruse #3901 and see. Thanks!
    rescache.PNG
    EDIT: is 0025 more/less than 004...?

Last edited: Dec 25, 2015
  14. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

lol... opt-in features which will most likely boost price and increase the chances of x amount of bugs, and even more confusion. How about I sit back and watch this app turn into an AIO, then you pay for my new licence when the new version is released... how does that grab you?

Essential my rear end... you're fishing.
    Haven't used it long enough? That has bugger all to do with anything. Maybe if said user was wise enough to realise that their current system setup is not optimised for full-time use of AppGuard, maybe just maybe they need a new configuration to get AppGuard going... just a FYI, you don't customise AppGuard for your system; you customise your system for AppGuard. It's wishful thinking if you believe your system remains intact after AppGuard is installed.

Lemme' know how it turns out bloke...

15. Cutting_Edgetech

Your only speculating a price increase. BRN has said nothing about a price increase. I have not seen a price increase since AG was released, and even if there was I would be willing to pay it if it was reasonable.

Yeah, just tell the users they can't use the software they are using if AG will not allow it to run. That makes a lot of sense. Lets just tell users we don't want their business. BRN can't tell users what software they are allowed to use on their computer, and BRN can't force software developers to design their software around AG. I might remind you also that AG is not only being used on home computers. It could easily be software required by someone's job being blocked. Just because you are not experiencing a problem does not mean it does not exist. Almost all security software supports hashing. There's no reason to become upset at the possibility of BRN supporting it. BRN will decide what's best for their company in the end. The process ID AG gives in the Activity Report does not tell the user what AG is blocking. A process name is definitely not needed. Who would want to know what AG is blocking? lol

The fact is you are not the only one using AG, and what you need in a product is not the benchmark for all other customers. I listed what many users have asked for since AG was released. None of the suggestions on the list run in the background taking up resources. You either use them, or you don't. Several items on the list will make AG provide better security though. You are making a big deal out of nothing.

16. guest

guest Guest

im always in Lockdown Mode, shift to medium or install Mode for any updates, using ERP as safeguard.

that is the problem, a software must adapt to the user system to reduce hassles and hampers; i wont see an admin of a big corporation having thousands of machines , adapting the machines to use Appguard ; i suspect the dev team of Appguard making a tailored version instead. but we are just home users so your point apply to us.

watch this analogy:

As if you buy a car and the seatbelt has a definite lenght and a large size driver cant attach it , he call the hotline and say "hey your seatbelt is too short for me" then the guy of the hotline answer "hey dude , you should lost weight then "

seriously? :rolleyes:

17. marzametal

marzametal Registered Member

Each to their own.

18. Cutting_Edgetech

Some of the diagnostic, and performance monitoring software that came with my motherboard will not work with AG. It spawns an additional process in the user-space, and there was no way to allow it. I disabled the software. Luckily it was not something I needed, but that is not the case for everyone. I have ran into the same problem with some other non essential software, and discarded it as well.

19. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

Apologies if it is already stated in this thread but I see 3 instances of appguardpolicy.xml, in
    - C:\Program Files (x86)\Blue Ridge Networks\AppGuard
    - C:\ProgramData (x86)\Blue Ridge Networks\AppGuard
    - C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\blue ridge networks\appguard
    The first two appear to be the same, but the latter seems to be the active one and is about 3 times larger ...
    Which one(s) hould be copy/pasted?

20. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

- C:\ProgramData (x86)\Blue Ridge Networks\AppGuard
    - C:\Users\xxxx\AppData\Roaming\blue ridge networks\appguard

21. guest

guest Guest

i knew about the second one but what the first one does that the second doesn't?

22. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

23. guest

guest Guest

i imported the second one and AG works normally, my settings were restored; maybe the first one is for all users.

24. pegr

pegr Registered Member

The first one is indeed for all users.

25. guest

guest Guest

Thanks for the confirmation ;)

By the way, what is your position about the current discussion , should AG stay as it is or should BRN adding some of the changes mentioned earlier?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.