AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit - Releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

MBAE is not superior to AG. MBAE is designed to block exploits, and their payload. I think MBAE has superior memory protection, but that's it. The last time I checked MBAE did not cover threats that are not exploits, though it's behavior blocking should be able to block other types of threats. It will be interesting to see if the developer decides to extend MBAE's protection. AG covers almost all threats. I think AG is very comparable to applocker because they both use policy enforcement to mitigate threats. If I decided to use applocker I would create almost the same policy enforcement rules that AG already has pre-configured with it's default settings. AG just takes the work out of having to configure applocker, and the need to use a LUA. That's not saying they are the same, but they are very similar. AG is a policy based AE, and does not have to detect a threat to block it. It automatically blocks anything that violates it's policy so there's not much of a chance of anything getting through. I think MBAE needs to be able to detect a threat in order to block it, but I could be wrong. I have used them together, and they work well together. If I had the choice to use only one then I would definitely choose AG because it blocks a wider range of threats. I do think BRN needs to expand AG's memory protection though. It only makes sense since AG is designed to block drive-by-downloads.

Last edited: Jan 15, 2015
  2. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

[..] wouldn't agree MBAE is superior to MBAE ? [..] MBAE is superior to HMPA ?
    I'll borrow corporate clients ;) That'll shut him up :isay:

3. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

Yeah, and my minus 1 for MBAE is that it reports to flag on behavior. I get hung up on "behavior" as requiring behavior rule sets. And rule sets require updating afaik. Adding heuristic (artificial intelligence) makes a guess based upon behavior rule sets & at the end of the day. I like Lockdown. Agree, more memory protection ;)
    Okay ~ Thanks for allowing comparative dialog. :isay:

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

I have a philosophy. If I screw up, I try to do it well.:D

5. meatouph

meatouph Guest

Hello. I'm writing graduation work about PC security on Windows 7. I'll test AppGuard protection and run cryptolocker/critroni but its not enough. What kind of heavy stuff I can test?

6. Peter2150

The forum prohibits sharing of malware. Sorry. You should be able to find plenty out there.

Pete

7. meatouph

meatouph Guest

I just want to know some malware names (like those above) :)

8. Peter2150

Try Google, or some of the companies like symantec

Pete

9. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Hi Mister X,

At some point, the guide will need to be revised to take account of changes in the GUI, new features, etc, so there may be an opportunity to do something then. I don't have much spare time at the moment, so I'll probably wait now until the next major version of AppGuard is released.

Thanks for the feedback.

Kind regards
    Pegr

10. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

I agree with you pegr, take your time no haste, much thanks.
    Never crossed my mind a new version is on its way ! :cool:

11. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Just to be clear, I wasn't trying to start any speculation regarding what BRN might or might not be doing in terms of future AppGuard development: I simply don't know.

I imagine there will be a new major version at some point, but I have no idea when that may happen.

12. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Alright, got it. Hopefully it will be soon.

13. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Most definitely. AG will contain Adobe so that it cannot attack other components of the system.

14. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Yes, AppGuard definitely runs on Windows 10!

15. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Pete, I hate to disagree with you, but you can add folders to user-space definition on the user-space tab (though it usually isn't required).

16. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Yes, we make an exception for Windows\Temp folder. That folder and its subfolders are allowed to be added to user space protection if desired.

17. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Hi Wilders Friends! Sorry, I've been gone for so long. I had pneumonia and then hurt my back. Was out of work for most of the time since December 15. It was an awful way to spend the holidays. Thanks to everyone that does such a fantastic job (actually a better job than I do) of answering questions about AppGuard.

Now I need to avoid getting the flu. I wish there was an AppGuard-like product for our bodies. Then I could put my body in "Locked Down" and not worry about getting some weird virus.

I'm catching up on a lot of work both professionally and personally. If there is a post that has gone unanswered by me or others, PM me and I'll try to check on those more frequently.

I did notice some questions about AppGuard 5.0, and there is no target date for the release as of yet. It will most likely just be a change in the licensing model (yearly subscription vs. perpetual) and perhaps some GUI improvements, but very little change in functionality/protection. If you buy 4.x, you will be licensed to use 4.x perpetually and you will not be forced to upgrade to 5.0 (i.e. you can continue to use 4.x). We will most likely have at least one more 4.x release with some minor bug fixes. The bugs that we've identified are things like AppGuard Event 313 in the Windows event log does not have a definition (it actually means that AppGuard is Guarding this application). No bugs have been identified that compromise protection.

When we do release 5.0, AppGuard 4.x will no longer be available to purchase, so only those that already have a licensed copy of 4.x will be able to get 4.x+. I hope that makes sense! Also, don't blame me. I'm a technical person and though I have some influence on the business side (very little), these types of decisions are not mine to make.

18. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

@ Barb_C
    Thanks for the info and welcome back.

19. Peter2150

Don't hate to disagree when I am wrong. MemoryGuard was blocking my brain from my fingers. Duh

20. bjm_

bjm_ Registered Member

HI BARB :)

21. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Sorry to hear of your recent health issues Barb. I hope you are running at 100 percent again soon.

22. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Thanks!

23. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Hello, I know you!

24. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Thanks, Cutting. I am feeling a lot better. Actually did the elliptical today for 30 minutes. That's what really upsets me about getting sick. I had just gotten back into a pretty solid routine of working out regularly. Well that went by the wayside. Now I have to get back into those good habits (which is getting harder and harder as I get older).

25. digmor crusher

digmor crusher Registered Member

Hi Barb, if you go back to post 2498 I posted a text file with dozens of events that happened numerous times about a month or so ago, would you have any idea what's going on? Thanks.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.