AppGuard 3.x 32/64 Bit

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by shadek, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Thanks! That worked wonders!

What is the general consensus about setting applications to 'Guarded'? Should all Internet facing applications in system space with potential vulnerabilities be set at 'Guarded' or not?

Last edited: Mar 28, 2013
  2. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Sorry for spamming the thread. But I'm eager to get back into the software. I only used the earliest versions of 3.x.

For instance. Take a look at Dropbox settings. I've set it as Guarded.

guarded apps.png

Now, how does Trusted Publishers work? If I set the Dropbox to Guarded = no in this tab, what happens? Will Dropbox run Unguarded even though I configured it under Guarded Apps? Does AppGuard first prioritize Guarded Apps and then Trusted Publishers?

What I want to do is to run Dropbox Guarded at all times, but I want to Dropbox being able to auto-update itself (install = yes under Trusted Publishers tab?).

Publishers.png

3. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

I would prefer to add an exception to the userspace than for BRN to make changes to AG that may open up new attack vectors. Boleh works perfectly by just excluding it from the user space.

4. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

Any clue about these warnings?

Attached Files:

5. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Is BFN trying to update itself?

6. Pain of Salvation

Pain of Salvation Registered Member

I dont think so...

The <updatus.15353096_RUNASUSER.exe> is something by Nvidia, so I put Nvidia on trusted publishers. Lets see if I get another similar alert in the future.

7. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Yes, all Internet-facing applications in system space that are capable of being exploited should be guarded.

8. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Thanks. Also, would you care to explain the Trusted Publisher tab? If I already have the application in system space 'Guarded' but want to it to be able to auto-update? Can I set the application as a Trusted Publisher and allow Install? What should the other fields be set to in the Trusted Publisher tab without compromising the security for the 'Guarded' app?

Regards,

shadek

9. pegr

pegr Registered Member

To answer the question I think you are asking, for a signed executable running at the high protection level, the application settings in the Guarded Applications list take precedence over the publisher settings in the Trusted Publishers list where both apply and there is a conflict with the publisher Guarded, Privacy, or Memory settings. I don't think the publisher Install setting would apply in this case as guarded applications are denied write access to system space.

Last edited: Mar 29, 2013
  10. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Thank you, pegr! Great information. That's basically what I wanted to know; does Guarded Applications take precedence over Trusted Publishers? Thanks again!

I think I got the grip of AppGuard now, understanding most of the functions. Now I'm just trying to figure out when/why to allow an .exe as a memory exception to read/write and why not make it a Power App instead?

11. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

From the help file:
    Also, a power app is always a power app, no matter what application it is launched by.

12. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Yes. For instance, we have Acrobat Reader in the Guard list and Adobe in the trusted publishler list. This is so that self-updates will de allowed, but Acrobat Reader is Guarded.
    I think those settings will do it.

13. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

I've been wanting to double-check this, but I'm 99% certain that you've got this right. Thanks again for helping out.

14. garry35

garry35 Registered Member

i am not sure where to post this so i have posted it here and in the NVT exe radar forum. i have been using windows 8 pro with the media center and for the last few boots windows would appear to hang and nothing would load, so i looked a little deeper and noticed that NVT had been blocked from loading and after allowing things would boot and load as normal.

Gazzer.

15. Arcanez

Arcanez Registered Member

I just experienced a strange Thing on my Computer that runs Appguard along with Deepfreeze. My Computer was idle for quiet some time and when I came back I moved the mouse so the Monitor turned back on and I noticed that the Computer was really slow somehow. Like I opened taskmanager and it opened like 30 seconds later...I saw that the appguard Icon had a red cross so it was turned off obviously. I managed to open the appguard GUI and everything was disabled including MBRGuard. In Taskmanager I saw that the Computer used all the 8GB of Memory and there was just 20MB left of physical Memory. So basically it felt like my Computer was the victim of a dos Memory attack or something. Memory usage reached 100% Peak and I had to reset the machine. Haven't really found anything in the Event Viewer of Windows that could explain the error so I don't really know why this happened.

16. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

Hi Barb,

Need your help to work AppGuard together with ExploitShield.

I need to authorize writing and reading to memory.

Please check the next three screenshots. I don't what's wrong on it. Please, give me some details.

Attached Files:

17. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Registered Member

Try to add this program in the Advanced tab (MemoryGuard/ReadWrite).

Last edited: Mar 31, 2013
  18. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

I deleted Exploit Shield folder under Guarded Apps and I've just added this program on the Advanced tab as you told me. ;)

Thanks Space Ghost

19. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Barb_C,
    Obviously AppGuard is a great security application, and I use it all the time, but one thing I'd like to see changed is when I insert a usb drive is for it to open showing its contents (folders and files). Can't AppGuard guard against any executions from the thumb drive but yet allow it to show its contents? As it is at present I have to click on Start>Computer>Thumb Drive to open it.

EXE Radar Pro allows for the usb drive to open on insertion but guards against executions. It would be more convenient if AppGuard did the same.

Thank you fellow Virginian.

Best regards,

Bob

20. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Barb

I have a guestion about Abode stuff. I made sure both the Acrobat Reader and Acrobat Pro are guarded.

You are saying you guard the Reader but have adobe as a trusted publisher.

Does this mean you are saying an infected PDF might target the reader but not full Adobe Acrobat.

BTW Acrobat Pro runs fine as a guarded App.

Pete

21. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Thanks for the suggestion. Do you know if EXE Radar Pro also blocks autorun.inf?

22. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Wouldn't an infected PDF need to be opened by the Reader in order to attack any other applications? If there are other Adobe products that you use to open PDFs, then they should be Guarded, but otherwise Guarding the Reader should protect you adequately from an infected PDF.

23. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Hello Barb,
    That's a question to which I don't know the answer. But I will ask the EXE Radar Pro developer here shortly. I'll post back when I find out.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,

Bob

24. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Garry, Was NVT blocked by AppGuard? If you don't want AppGuard to interfere, perhaps you should make it a power App if AppGuard is interfering with it.

25. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Thanks Barb. On the two machines I have Acrobat, I use it and actually rename the reader exe, as it is a real pain in the rear. So I did guard Acrobat.

Thanks again,

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.