AppGuard 3.x 32/64 Bit

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by shadek, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pegr

pegr Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

2. kjdemuth

kjdemuth Registered Member

3. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Noted. Thanks!

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

here in the wilders forum we make any program better including appguard by malware testing and reporting bugs:thumb: ;) :)

5. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

We haven't scheduled the release of v4 yet (even the beta). Please don't wait for it (I'm not saying that because I want you to spend $$$, but I believe that AppGuard provides significant protection and I would hate for you to go unprotected!!!). In fact, I believe that we will do a 3.5 release prior to 4.0. Also, we do not want to upset our customers so as said previously, we will work something out with those that purchase 3.x release near to the 4.0 release. Also when you provide beta test feedback, we will provide you with at least one free license.

I hope that helps!

6. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

No worries Barb. I'm back with AppGuard on board.

Slight technical trauma:
    When I try & download something & 'right-click' to create a new folder to store the files inside my Downloads folder AppGuard gets all macho & locks up Sandboxie.

What sedative can I administer to AG to settle his aggression down??

NB Sandboxie's 4.exes' are loaded in powerApps.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  7. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Aalf,

Rundll32 only runs inside a Sandboxie sandbox if it is called by the sandboxed application, usually to save or create files.

What/where are you right clicking to create your folder?

8. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

We are still debating this internally. I know our product manager wants to make the interface snazzier (and I agree that it can use some jazzing up). It will probably be a simpler interface to appeal to the less technical user, but we will still provide Advanced settings with the same functionality. I have been keeping a list of your suggestions and I beleive that most of them will be included. I will provide more details when I am able to.

9. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

You may want to wait for a Sandboxie expert to reply, but since your sandbox folder is on the d drive, I think that AppGuard is applying user-space protection to this folder (thus preventing DLLs from loading from there). I think that adding d:\sandbox as a user-space exception would solve your problem (but I'm not sure what it does to the security of your AppGuard/Sandboxie combo).

Editing my response to make sure that you see Chris's post below (thanks, Chris) which points out that my suggestion is not recommended!!!!

Last edited: Dec 5, 2012
  10. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Barb if you add d:\sandbox as a user space exception you remove appguard user space protection from the sandbox, no? If that is the case there really is no point using the apps together.

Aalf's problem is not one I or many others using this combo experience. Rundll32 runs fine in my sandboxes which suggests his way of setting up his download folder may be unusual. Undoubtedly it is the dll loading issue you mention but we may be able to suggest a different method for him.

Cheers

11. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

I think I see the problem but I'm keeping quiet until you guys post the answer (to save embarrassment if wrong.)

Some screen jpegs attached of error notice when I try to create a new folder, my power apps & my user space.

Again, e.g. save a jpeg > save to my pics > create a new folder inside my pics for the downloads by 'right-click> new folder = crunch!!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2012
  12. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Hi AaLF.

You have added c:\sandbox to user space but your sandbox container is d:\sandbox. Not sure that would make a difference though as non-system drives (d:\) should be treated as user space automatically.

I can't replicate this though. Might be because I allow direct access to my download folder in Sandboxie but I've tried other ways.

Are you creating your folder via your browser. If so you could just create it through explorer in and then save the files directly to it. What browser is it?

Cheers

13. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

What do you mean 'direct access to D/Load folder'?

I'm using FF browser. Wasn't always like this, maybe since AG re-installed?
    Download e.g. = right-click on file to download 'save image as' > select the download folder > right click inside d/load window to 'create new folder' > SB seizes up

Creating a folder via Win 7 as a seperate action is annoying. It should work. It used to work.

14. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

AaLF if you have a directory you always save your images to you can open a direct path to it in Sandboxie. i.e. you won't have to recover it, it will be downloaded directly outside the sandbox.

If you go to Sandbox settings, Resource Access, File Access, Direct Access you can set the directory there. If that directory is in user space AppGuard will look after whatever you download.

As for your original problem I'm not sure. I'm just not getting the same thing but I'm using paid version and forcing programs to run. If your not doing that there may be a difference. Why it was working before but not know is strange too.

Just to confirm Firefox and Windows Host Process are definitely guarded?

Thanks

15. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I have a feature request: a "deauthorize" option to allow a license attached to an email address to be usable on another computer, so if you want to move AppGuard to another PC, or you have to reinstall Windows, you could deauthorize it on the computer, and use the license again on another PC. It works for iTunes so it could work for AppGuard. Thanks.

16. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Thanks for your suggestion. It is planned that Version 4.0 will have a more robust license control feature which will allow for the deauthorization of PCs that are not longer running AppGuard.

17. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

Eagerly waiting for it. :D I do have a question, though. Will the beta start as a closed beta, and if so, will any e-mail be sent to previous testers?

I believe I deleted the e-mail I used before. I also did join the party late back then. :D Anyway, in case the e-mail has been deleted (I think I used a hotmail alias), how can one sign for the version 4 beta? Again, if it starts as a closed beta first.

18. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

We'll most likely announce the Beta here on this forum.

19. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Sweet. That and GUI changes? Can't wait for version 4!

20. rafi84pl

rafi84pl Registered Member

Hi there Everybody,

I have a question about license of AG. Not whole 2 weeks ago I bought AG. I activated one license on my notebook and another one on my PC. However I will make a clean install of Windows on my PC. Then when I activate AG again on my PC, does it mean I have no activations left after 3rd activation?

How are the licenses treated by AG servers.
    When I buy 3 Users version do I buy:
    - 3 activation, or
    - 3 workstations (no limits in activating AG software)?

I'm asking this because of previous posts (1917):

Thanks,
    Rafal

21. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Your license will be good for 3 workstations. There is no limit on how many activations as long as only 3 licenses are active at any given time.

22. Solarlynx

Solarlynx Registered Member

Me is waiting. :thumb:

23. rafi84pl

rafi84pl Registered Member

Thanks for quick reply. :thumb:

Regards,
    R.

24. mick92z

mick92z Registered Member

Hello, sorry if this is a silly question, but do i need to disable appguard when uninstalling a program ? I uninstalled a program and it may have left a file in the system 32 folder,i only noticed when i booted. I got a UAC prompt about a file, which I cannot associate with anything other than the uninstalled program, thanks

25. pegr

pegr Registered Member

As uninstalling is only the reverse of installing, and both activities involve modifying system space and the registry, I do put AppGuard into Install mode for both.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.