AppGuard 3.x 32/64 Bit

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by shadek, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Also, everytime you restart AppGuard (happens during a reboot), AppGuard "phones home" to check whether it should get updated. You will see a message if there is an update available.

2. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

I'll check with Product Management and try to get back to you soon. A few posibilities:
    1. Right click on a file and have an option of adding to the Guard List.
    2. Support for Office Starter (AppGuard is not guarding properly currently for Office Starter).
    3. Power Application support: This feature is in the enterprise version, but it's not currently in the consumer version. Basically Power Applications are immune from AppGuard. On the enterprise version we recommend adding software such as the patch agent, anti-virus software, etc. We have to take care when implementing this feature in the consumer version that we don't create a security hole.
    4. Troubleshooting feature where it will bundle the info we usually ask for when (policy file, events, sys info) we are trying to isolate an AppGuard problem.

Any other suggestions?

3. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Greg, this really helps narrow the scope. THANKS! Can you verify that you normally log in as a non-admin user (so that a password is required for UAC)?

4. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Hi Barb,
    I sent email. Thanks for the follow up

5. Ashanta

Ashanta Registered Member

Hi Barb_C,

Have you solved on the last version, the shut down problem ??

6. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Well this SAM issue had been stopped for a few days but it just now happened again. Maybe we can track this down after the holidays.

7. AdamL

AdamL Registered Member

Yes still happening here, so for now, AppGuard is gone.

I really hope they can solve it - of course, after the holidays now!

8. Ashanta

Hi Barb_C,

I sent you about three emails without any reply from you. :eek:
    Have you solved on the last version, the shut down problem ??

9. Zyrtec

Zyrtec Registered Member

Hello,

@ AppGuard developers

I've seen a problem happening and, after narrowing it down , the culprit appears to be AppGuard: When and leave my Windows 7 Pro SP-1 laptop unattended and the screen saver kicks in after ~10min. I do have to type in my user password to log back in but, when I do so, I'm also seeing the same SAM problem message others have been commenting about, Windows won't let me log back in. This forces me to turn the laptop off by pressing the power button and turn it back on to be able to log in.

I have turned off AppGuard and the aforementioned problem disappears.

Any insight from AppGuard developers in regards to this problem?

Thanks

10. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Last I heard, they are working on it but probably won't resume until after the holidays. To make it through, I had dropped protection down to the Medium level which took care of that problem. After that, new issues popped up with AG blocking legitimate Microsoft writes to the registry. Sadly, for now, I have had to uninstall and wait for further direction.

11. AdamL

AdamL Registered Member

I too have now uninstalled AppGuard, and will await an update to fix the SAM problems and others....

It is a shame!

Hopefully we will get an update after the holidays.

12. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I notice from your signature you are using Webroot SecureAnywhere. I had a shutdown problem when running WSA but the problem went away after I uninstalled WSA. As part of your own investigation did you try running AppGuard without WSA to see if WSA might be a factor in this?

13. Blackcat

Blackcat Registered Member

I have seen the same SAM problem with and without WSA/other AVs.

Have probably seen the problem 3 times in about 6 months and always after my laptop comes out of a long sleep mode.

14. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I haven't been following this thread lately and from Ashanta's description I wasn't sure whether Ashanta has a SAM problem or not. If the problem that Ashanta has is simply one of Windows hanging at the "Windows is shutting down ..." screen, rather than a more general SAM issue, then what I said may still be relevant.

15. Ashanta

AppGuard was installed on my laptop before I installed WSA, this is a specific problem with AppGuard, nothing to do with WSA.

16. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Oh well, it was just a thought. Your problem is obviously different to the one I was having. I hope you get it resolved soon.

17. ellison64

ellison64 Registered Member

Any experienced appguard users here know how I can exclude this norton file from being blocked?.Ive put programdata/norton folder in exception folder and allowed read /write.Its a .dll file so i cant add it under memoryguard exceptions.Any ideas how to exclude it?

Attached Files:

18. shadek

shadek Registered Member

Yeah. Add the .dll to the trusted publisher list. :) That should solve all future problems with Symantec products.

19. Dave53

Dave53 Registered Member

Adding Symantec to Trusted Publishers did not solve this problem for me. I had to add the virusdefs folder to be excluded on the User-space tab screen in AppGuard.

20. ellison64

Thanks for replies ,Ill try both and see what happens.Also is it possible to allow individual scripts to be excluded in appguard?.I have a .vbs script that is blocked from running ,and is a process of hard disk sentinel program which i use.I cant see how to allow that one script file to run though.I dont want to exclude the whole folder that it runs from though ,because it runs from appdata>temp folder and theres loads of other stuff in there too.
    tia
    ellison

21. Dave53

Dave53 Registered Member

I don't think that there is a way to exclude a script in the current version of AppGuard. I have often wished for more granular settings to deal with things like this. Hopefully, in future versions we will have more options. :)

22. ellison64

Yes it would be great for there to be more options for exclusions etc.I contacted HD sentinel developer ,with the problem too and within an hour ,he gave me a link to a newer beta version where he has put the script in in its own folder ,so I have excluded that in User space option ,and everything works fine.Some developers really go out of thier way to help so a big kudos to Janos of HD sentinel ,and heres hoping appguard devs can include those extra options in later builds :)

23. Dave53

Dave53 Registered Member

I'm glad to hear that you were able to resolve your problem. That's great support from the developer! Also, were you able to resolve your Norton issue?

24. ellison64

Yes.Excluding the C:programdata\norton etc folder in userspace tab and selecting "NO",in include column seems to have done the trick.
    ellison

25. Dave53

Dave53 Registered Member

Good. I'm glad that worked for you too. I wonder if Barb_C could tell us why setting Symantec as a Trusted Publisher doesn't resolve this issue without having to exclude a folder from user space.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.