AppGuard 3.x 32/64 Bit

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by shadek, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shadek

shadek Registered Member

If there are any compatible issues between Prevx and AppGuard I'd definitely like to get updated about it in this thread! :) It'd please the lot of us if any of you developers could share the information gathered from this later on!

2. Dave53

Dave53 Registered Member

+1 from me! :thumb:

3. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Apart from a problem with the installation sequence, where I had to install Prevx before AppGuard on my XP system in order to avoid BSODs, I haven't seen any issues between the two other than MemoryGuard blocking Prevx from writing to the memory of guarded applications.

In respect of Prevx anti-malware, this probably doesn't matter but I've no idea as to whether or not SafeOnline works properly if prevented by MemoryGuard from writing to the memory of a guarded browser process. In order to test this, it would be necessary to test SafeOnline using a set of live malware that SafeOnline is designed to protect the browser against, and see if it still protects the browser against key-logging, screen-capture, etc with AppGuard installed.

As I don't do live malware testing, I don't propose to carry out these tests but if anybody wants to do some testing, it would be interesting to know the results.

4. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

this version is trouble free for me;)

5. LoneWolf

LoneWolf Registered Member

I downloaded Appguard on March 13th, ran it for a few days then uninstalled to try out some other setups,now tonight I tried to reinstall it and got a message that my trial has expired o_O it's only been like 8 days sense I first installed it. How long is the trial supposed to last?
    To bad I was hoping to test it out for a little longer so I could make a decision on buying or not.
    Seamed like it might be descent protection, Oh well I probably have enough licenses as it is.

6. Dave53

Dave53 Registered Member

The trial should run for 30 days.

7. LoneWolf

That's what I thought.
    Maybe uninstalling it and trying to reinstall it during the trial was not to best thing to do.

8. Dave53

Dave53 Registered Member

Curious! I uninstalled and reinstalled on a 32-bit and a 64-bit machine and got the full 30 days on both. There's no rhyme or reason some days. :)

9. LoneWolf

Ain't that the truth. Oh well, such is life.

10. Dave53

Dave53 Registered Member

I found another problem caused by AppGuard on my WinXP 32-bit machine. Adobe Reader 10.0.1 crashes when I go to print an open document (this is not specific to one document). I need to either set protection to low or disable memory guard to be able to print. So far this has not been a problem on my Win7 64-bit machine.

As much as I like the potential protection offered by Memory Guard, it seems to be the source of many problems. I may just leave it disabled on my 32-bit machine.

There are a number of other issues with Windows Media Player, Prevx, .wmv files, etc that have been reported recently. I wonder if Eirik or Barb could tell us what the timeline is for some improvements (version 3.1 perhaps?). I purchased a license, but I am tempted to uninstall this version due to the time it is taking me to get things working properly and wait till things mature a bit.

I find it to be ironic that most of my computer problems are caused by antimalware programs. :D

11. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Rather than uninstall AppGuard, why not just disable MemoryGuard if it is causing you problems and wait for the next version to fix some of the issues reported. Even without MemoryGuard, the previous version of AppGuard was estimated to prevent around 90% of malware, which is still a substantial amount of protection.

12. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Hi LoneWolf. I'm sorry that you are having problems with your trial. Would you check your registry and see if the following key exists: HKLM\Software\Blue Ridge Networks\AppGuard\AGStatus. If this key has been deleted (perhaps during a system restore point), then that may explain why your trial has been cut short. We will be glad to provide you with a trial license which will extend your trial. Please contact AppGuard@BlueRidgeNetworks.com and we will send you a trial code.

13. Dave53

Dave53 Registered Member

Thanks pegr. I think that's what I will do. :)

Dave

14. LoneWolf

Thank you Barb_C, much appreciated :thumb:
    I have contacted support. :)
    Could not find HKLM\Software\Blue Ridge Networks\AppGuard\AGStatus.
    I believe Jv16 powertools may be the reason.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  15. Dave53

Dave53 Registered Member

Just an update to my printing problem with PDF files. I discovered that the latest version of Adobe Reader has setting which enables protected mode on start-up. If I disable this setting, I can print with Memory Guard enabled. I guess that protected mode in Adobe Reader is probably unnecessary when running as a guarded application in AppGuard. I am sharing this in case anyone else is having this problem. :)

16. Trespasser

Trespasser Registered Member

Hello Eirik or Barb,
    Yesterday I conversed with Eirik via a couple of emails and asked the question about how many times a person could register a license code from a given address for AppGuard. Eirik said that each license entitles a user to three concurrent installations which I assume also means you can only register your license code 3 times before the system blocks you. But situations do occur which are beyond your control like either hard drive failure (which I had recently), file system corruption due to a power outages, or you just plain screwed up your computer. My question...is there any way to extend that limit given the circumstances I listed above? To be locked out after 3 mishaps doesn't seem quite fair. Like I alluded previously, sometimes things do happen.

Thank you.

Bob

17. cgeek

cgeek Registered Member

Trespasser, three concurrent installations means three machines registered at the same time. Not activations.

Regards,
    Cgeek

18. Trespasser

Each license code is linked to a certain email address. If, for instance, you have AppGuard on three of your home computers then the hard drive goes south on one of your PCs. You then must reinstall your system on the new hard drive (which includes reinstalling AppGuard). I may be wrong, but to my understanding when you attempt to register AppGuard again their system will think you're trying to install AppGuard on a fourth computer and state that you've reach your limit and refuse you.

Hopefully Eirik or Barb can answer this question.

Thanks for the reply.

Later...

Bob

19. pegr

pegr Registered Member

You're welcome. :)

20. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

May be but if the hard drive goes south, your email address doesn't go with it.

21. Trespasser

I didn't say that it did. It is of my belief that Blue Ridge Networks counts the number of times that particular license code is registered in their data base. When it reaches more than three they refuse registration. It only makes sense. That way it prevents an individual from allowing dozens or hundreds of other people from using that license code. I'm just asking if there's a way for a user to have the limit reset if unforeseen things happen.

Later...

Bob

22. fredra

fredra Registered Member

I think I understand what Trespasser is talking about(the email address thing may confuse some)
    Let us say that you install APPGUARD on 3 PC's, and everything is working fine.
    Suddenly one of those PC's crashes (for whatever the reason) and you need to install a new HD and reinstall the software whether you use a backup OR some image software OR from scratch. If you try to install APPGUARD again on the newly installed HD, it will be rejected as that activation code has already been used 3 times. o_O
    The question is "How can you REinstall on the 3rd PC, and stay within the bounds of the license". :doubt:
    I think that is his concern. :cautious:
    Cheers :D

23. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

I understand and assure you it wasn't my intent to be critical in any way. My point was, the email addy is only a tool to deliver the key and not a way of binding it to three pc's. Their mechanism for monitoring usage is a lot deeper than email addresses.

24. shadek

shadek Registered Member

I just had my HTPC upgraded and re-installed Windows. I installed AppGuard using the same license key again and it worked flawlessly! I've now used the same AppGuard key for 4 machines but only while having it installed on 3 machines simultaneously. Hope that gives you all a clear answer of how it works.

25. Trespasser

Thanks. That does seem to answer my question. Like I said in an earlier post, I may be wrong...which it appears I am.

AppGuard is a great application IMO. I guess what I like about it most is you don't have to be a security expert to use it. Just install it...forget it, and you're protected. Perfect for people like my wife, sister, and Dad.

Thank, again, for clearing it up for me. :).

Later...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.