AppGuard 3.x 32/64 Bit

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by shadek, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Agreed. Bit too small. Enlargement seems possible. Appguard on my sys Tray is smaller than the other icons.

2. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Anyone using the new Sandboxie 4.06 release with AG 3.4.2?

3. pegr

pegr Registered Member

4. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

5. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Did you know that you can disable the suspension timeout feature from the first window on the GUI where the protection level slide bar is? I'm asking because I have just discovered a second bug with that feature. I did not know if you cannot disable the suspension timeout feature due to not knowing where the disable option is, or due to the new bug I have just discovered.
    I have reported a bug in which AG enables it's protection when changing the suspension timeout value. This could cause huge problems if someone needed to change it during an install to give the install enough time to complete. AG would enable it's protection during the install, and block the installation if one tried to change the value of suspension timeout feature during the install. I spoke with Barb, and she informed me that expected behavior should be that AG should remain in installation mode, or whatever mode it is currently in when changing the suspension timeout value. Instead AG is currently enabling the protection level it was previously in before switching it to installation mode when changing the suspension timeout value.

The new bug I just discovered seems to be very simple. When I untick the suspension timeout box to disable the suspension timeout feature it does not stay unticked. Once I place AG in install mode again AG enables the suspension timeout feature again on it's own. I hope this is not expected behavior. If I disable the suspension timeout feature I want it to stay disabled until I enable it again.

Attached Files:

• AG.jpg
      AG.jpg
      File size:
      68.5 KB
      Views:
  6. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

You can set the installation-mode time in the Advanced Section.
    10-17-2013 8-52-55 AM.png

7. Cutting_Edgetech

Thanks, but i'm aware of that. I have mine set at 40 minutes. I was speaking of a bug that I discovered with the suspension timeout feature.

8. pegr

pegr Registered Member

The issue is as I've reported it. If the user unchecks the auto resume checkbox when entering Install mode from the GUI, AppGuard does stay in Install mode throughout the restart, which is the expected behaviour. After the restart, the tray icon and the GUI clearly indicate that the protection level is still set to Install. What's changed is that after the restart, the checkbox has been automatically been checked again. Previously, it was only necessary to uncheck the checkbox once and the setting was remembered permanently. I don't know if this change from version 3.5 is intentional or a bug, but I suspect the latter.

EDIT: Just be absolutely clear about this, even if the user doesn't restart the machine after unchecking the auto resume checkbox, the protection level will remain set to Install after the suspension timeout has elapsed until the protection level is manually re-enabled by the user. However, if the protection level is once again subsequently reduced to Install then the auto resume checkbox is also automatically checked. This is the same issue where the auto resume setting is not being remembered after re-enabling protection.

Another issue is with the auto resume text that is displayed. If the protection level is reduced to Install from Locked Down, the auto resume text always says that protection will return to Medium at the end of the suspension timeout when it should say Locked Down. In fact, it does correctly return to Locked Down in this scenario so the bug is only with the text displayed, not with the behaviour which works as expected.

Something else I've noticed. If any of the USB Launches, User-space Launches, Guarded Execution, or Privacy Mode protections are suspended by right clicking the tray icon, the tray icon that is displayed is the old tray icon with the green triangle overlay containing an exclamation mark. For consistency, this needs to be fixed so that it is the new tray icon that is displayed with an appropriate overlay.

Although of relatively minor importance, I hope all of these things will be fixed prior to the final release.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  9. fearlessscientist

fearlessscientist Registered Member

Any updates on the new version ?

10. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I'm using Sandboxie 4.06 with the AppGuard v4.0 beta in Locked Down mode with no issues. I assume that you have been successfully using Sandboxie 4.04 with AppGuard 3.5.6 without any issues, so you shouldn't experience any problems using Sandboxie 4.06. Just keep an eye on the AppGuard alerts panel and if you see any Sandboxie MemoryGuard alerts, make MemoryGuard exceptions for them (not necessary in AppGuard v4.0 due to a change in the way MemoryGuard works).

11. Roberteyewhy

Roberteyewhy Registered Member

Installed 4.0.8.0 since I updated to Win8.1 today.

I agree that the icon in the systray is just a little bit too small. Why not just enlarge the icon and make the 'A' or the entire icon change's color depending on the 'Protection Level' the user sets it on? IMO, no need for the lock.

Windows Media Center does not work again.

No other problems...

Nice change in the GUI though.:thumb:

Robert

12. imdb

imdb Registered Member

do you need appguard (or any similar sw), if you're using comodo iss set up the way described on techsupportalert?

13. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I don't know what specific set-up you are referring to because you didn't post a link. With a properly configured CIS it isn't actually necessary to add anything else, which isn't to say that you shouldn't run AppGuard alongside CIS if you want to, as an optional extra for belt-and-braces protection, providing they don't conflict.

I used to run Comodo Firewall, with Defense+ fully enabled, alongside AppGuard without experiencing any issues. I have no recent experience with Comodo though so things may have changed since then.

14. imdb

imdb Registered Member

sorry, my bad. i was referring to chiron's guide on techsupportalert. here:

http://www.techsupportalert.com/content/how-install-comodo-firewall.htm

15. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Thanks for posting the link. I liked the guide: It's a well written and informative set of instructions on how to install and configure CIS.

I assume you already know how AppGuard works but if not, here is a post containing some links that may help you decide whether it may be of interest to you: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=2253804&postcount=2687

The release notes are for a previous version of AppGuard (the latest official version is 3.5.6 and version 4.0 is currently in beta test), but they are close enough to give you the general idea.

16. arsenaloyal

arsenaloyal Registered Member

When will version 4 be released? I thought it was supposed to be released on the 16th of this month.

17. imdb

imdb Registered Member

you're welcome.
    yes, i know how appguard works, but thanks for the link with detailed info.
    will def'ly take a look.

18. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Sorry that I've been MIA for the past week. We've been furiously working to get the product out (fixing many of the bugs that were reported here as well as incorporating some of the suggested enhancements). We're on version 4.0.14 in our QA department - I think the beta was 4.0.8, and I know for a fact that there will be a 4.0.15. Anyway, we obviously did not meet the Oct 16 date. We hope to go out this week.

One of the outstanding items is for me to review all of the posts since I last posted and make sure that no one found any showstoppers. Hopefully not. We've also been updating the documentation, help files and website.

I also want to announce the policy for those who have "recently" purchased AppGuard 3.x. Anyone who purchased AppGuard in 2013 will automatically receive a FREE license key for AppGuard 4.0. This license will be good for 3 activations! We will send the key via the email address that you used to purchase AppGuard 3.x. I'll let you know when they are sent so that you can look for it. You may actually get a preview of the product.

Anyway, I'm quite pleased with the policy that management agreed to.

19. buckslayr

buckslayr Registered Member

Just bought my license! Looking forward to the release.

20. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Yay, you guys are awesome!

21. DBone

DBone Registered Member

What about those of us who supported AG long before 2013? o_O

22. fearlessscientist

fearlessscientist Registered Member

I understand that blue ridge team cannot satisfy everyone, but the decision to give free keys for purchases made in 2013 is awesome. I definitely support blue ridge for your ethics and values.

23. Cutting_Edgetech

I reported the issue with AG automatically ticking the box again in the timeout suspension feature, and Barb informed me that was expected behavior. She said they may revisit that issue soon to decide if that needs to be changed.

24. Cutting_Edgetech

I also reported a confirmed bug in which AG enables it's protection when changing the suspension timeout value while AG is in install mode. Appguard will return to the protection level the user last had it in if the user changes the suspension timeout value while in install mode. This would be very bad if the user was changing the value to allow an installation enough time to complete. AG would enable it's protection as soon as the value was changed, and block the installation. The expected behavior would be that AG remains in install mode, or what ever mode it is currently in when changing the suspension timeout value.

25. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I had hoped it was a bug that would be fixed. For me, it's less convenient to now have to open the GUI and uncheck the box every time I want AppGuard to stay in Install mode through a restart. This wasn't the case with version 3.5 where it was an Install mode configuration setting that was remembered permanently.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.