AppGuard 3.x 32/64 Bit

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by shadek, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I'm using version 3.5 and am having trouble with windows updates. I have to reboot to install the latest updates. Can the "install" level of protection survive reboot somehow? Or is it necessary for installing the MS updates?

2. pegr

pegr Registered Member

If it has an interactive alert mode, it could be configured to warn about all attempted launches that are not on the whitelist. Admittedly it is dependent on the user being able to make sense of the alerts, but I would be suspicious if some randomly named process tried to launch from system space. Once system space has been compromised, it's game over for AppGuard; but an AE, or a firewall with HIPS, might still be able to contain the malware and prevent it from phoning home.

Excellent advice to put the emphasis on prevention. :thumb: This is exactly what I do, as I imagine do other Wilders members. :)

3. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Absolutely and thank you for taking an interest in it. :thumb:

4. pegr

pegr Registered Member

My experience is that Install mode is needed for some updates but that others install okay at the Medium or High protection levels. I always play it safe and lower the protection level to Install to apply MS udpates. You should leave AppGuard in Install mode during the reboot. Here's what the help file says about this: -

"Install: Use this level when installing or updating software. If you are updating a Guarded application, you may also need to UnGuard the application. If your installation requires a reboot, uncheck the "Re-enable" checkbox. In that case AppGuard will not re-enable the protections until the user reinstates the Protection Level. If the "Re-enable" checkbox is checked, AppGuard will automatically re-enable AppGuard after the timeout has expired."

The Re-enable checkbox is visible when you open the GUI and move the slider to Install.

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

ok I see it now, thanks for the info

6. SIR****TMG

SIR****TMG Registered Member

Thanks I found it too.....:D

7. Roberteyewhy

Roberteyewhy Registered Member

Another great suggestion.:thumb:

Robert

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  8. fearlessscientist

fearlessscientist Registered Member

I am not sure if this issue was reported earlier. When appguard is in lockdown mode and when it blocks something icon changes to exclamation. Perfect. But after clicking the icon, it changes to medium mode icon with tick mark and not the lockdown mode icon.

9. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Yep. I've have that issue too.

10. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

Has anyone tested the version 4.0 beta against malware? I'm curious how the new protection levels affect protection, as Medium almost seems like it wouldn't be as effective as High was, which was what I used, and Locked Down is too secure as it wouldn't allow updates.

11. fearlessscientist

Exactly. I dont understand what protection medium level provides. Dropbox and spotify (which installs in user space) works fine in medium mode. Does this mean any executable in temp folder will also be executed ? I thought in medium mode it does not execute any application unless its guarded. So I have made lockdown my default. Can anyone throw some light on this ? :doubt:

12. stackz

stackz Registered Member

What operating system are you running and where in user space are dropbox and spotify installed?
    Executables in the user temp folder should not execute - they don't on my Win 7x64 machine in both medium and locked down.

13. fearlessscientist

Dropbox by default installs in C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Dropbox\bin\Dropbox.exe and
    Spotify in C:\Users\<UserName>\AppData\Roaming\Spotify\spotify.exe

I am on Windows 7 Home Premium x64, SP1

14. stackz

stackz Registered Member

From the release notes for the beta:
    So I gather dropbox and spotify must be digitally signed.

15. fearlessscientist

:thumb:

16. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Me too, on one of the PCs. Medium is painful enough for a home user. It. blocks more than plenty of program installs in the home market. I don't know how you Wilders lads survive in 'Lockdown' mode. You must have a lot of patience or stick to 'top shelf products only'. Which is not what most home users do. We are far more reckless & careless with what we allow on our PCs. AppGuard's Medium level seems just like the old 'High' to me. I don't know what goes into your PCs at the business end of town, but AppGuard's "Medium" is like a locked gate that one must reset to 'install' for every product. So far I haven't installed anything that's 'gone thru' with AG still set on 'medium'.

AaLF

Barb, I think it's been mentioned before, but when I open HELP to check e.g. 'why is it blocked' the help file still refers to the level as 'high' & not 'medium'.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  17. tcarrbrion

tcarrbrion Registered Member

I have heard of malware where a digitally signed safe application is downloaded together with a bad DLL. The signed app uses the DLL in preference to the normal one as it is in the same directory. Would AppGuard protect against this?

18. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

Afaik v4's Medium is the same as v3.5's High. So Dropbox and Spotify should be able to run with 3.5 on High was well, because Signed applications are allowed to run as Guarded there as well. Only difference is the new MemoryGuard policy. In v4 memory of processes is protected from Guarded processes. In v3.5 the same but there, it's also the other way around, memory from Guarded processes is also protected from UnGuarded processes.

Good question.

19. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Aalf

If you want to install something while still set on Medium, you first have to go to the Publishers list and see if the installer lists a publisher. If so added it to the installers list being sure the install setting is set to yes. Then the program will install provided the installer doesn't run another exe that isn't by the same publisher.

BTW I run in lockdown with no trouble at all.

Pete

20. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Hi Pete understand what you are saying there. But I'm thinking along the lines of the average Sam & Sally who I reckon will just elect for "install". 2 reasons, most if not nearly all don't read instructions, so they'll likely see 'install' & click & install. And - Nominating 'install' is a lazy way :thumb:

As for lock down. I haven't been there in 4.0. Just keeping to 'recommended' (medium).

Am looking forward to AppGuard finally launching. I like it like i used to like Defensewall. (ah, the good ol' days).

21. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Hi Barb,

I have noticed that when switching to the Install protection level and unchecking the Re-enable checkbox using the GUI, v4.0 is not remembering the setting following the restart. I don't know whether this is a deliberate change from v3.5 or whether it is a bug in v4.0. For me, the way it works now is less convenient than the way it used to be, which was set once then forget.

I know I've said this before but I'm going to repeat it: The new tray icon in v4.0 is too small to display the protection level indicator overlays clearly. I would like to see the new tray icon enlarged, but if that it is not possible then my preference would be to see a return to the tray icon in v3.5 which does display clearly.

Kind regards
    pegr

22. Peter2150

On the auto resume I also don't like the fact that you can't change the time. Sometimes 10 minutes just isn't long enough. Try installing Office Professional, or Quickbooks. 10 minutes just doesn't cut it.

Pete

23. FleischmannTV

FleischmannTV Registered Member

Peter2150, did you see this?

susptimeout.PNG

24. pegr

pegr Registered Member

The suspension timeout setting has moved to the Advanced tab in v4.0, as you can see from the screenshot that FleischmannTV has posted. Unlike the auto resume setting which no longer persists across a restart in v4.0, the suspension timeout setting is remembered. I have it set to the maximum value allowed of 1440 minutes as I prefer to re-enable suspended protections manually.

25. Peter2150

Thanks guys. A big duh on my part. Totally missed it.

Pete

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.