AppGuard 3.x 32/64 Bit

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by shadek, Mar 12, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rafi84pl

rafi84pl Registered Member

I think that changes proposed by BoerenkoolMetWorst in post number 3074 are quite nice.
    They would allow for better / or (as he wrote it) custom control of the program which would be nice.

2. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

So I noticed Barb said people who purchased their license prior to March 1st will get free upgrades. Where does that leave me? I just purchased my license 3 months ago.

3. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

For those of you who have upgraded to 3.5, have you had any problems or has it gone pretty smoothly?

4. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I installed over the top of 3.4 and it went smoothly without issue.

5. AaLF

AaLF Registered Member

Me too. And from scattered posts 3.5.6 has been an obedient beta for some time. All beta testers seem happy. I myself on a recent re-install loaded the 3.4.2 official AG and not the beta. Then to my surprise I was informed I could solve an issue by installing the beta. Best thing I did. Works great. :thumb:

6. Roberteyewhy

Roberteyewhy Registered Member

Barb, hopefully in 4.0 that when the user clicks on 'Advance' we only have 1 instance of AD open as opposed to 2; user does whatever and hits Apply then Ok and AG closes.

Sometimes AG's original window (double click from systray) minimizes to the taskbar when I do anything in 'Customize' and I need to show that first instance to close it...not efficient if not redundant!

Robert

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  7. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I just installed over the top on one PC, and I have not yet seen any issues. I will hold off for a few days on upgrading the other two PC's.

8. moontan

moontan Registered Member

i'm waiting for Windows 8.1 support so i can play with this.

9. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

If you're willing to beta test, you'll get a free copy.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  10. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

I'm not quite sure that I'm following this. Are you saying that you are able to bring up two instances of the Advanced Dialog? I have not seen this behavior.

11. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Hopefully 4.0 will be out in the next few weeks. I'm trying to get a beta copy approved for this week. I'll keep you posted.

12. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

Since I know many of you run in "Locked Down" protection level, can you tell me if you are seeing any adverse side effects with the functionality of the Guarded Applications when running in Locked Down mode with respect to Memory Read protection?

Or, if you've changed the Guarded App List policy so that all apps are MemoryRead protection, have you seen any adverse side effects?

We are considering turning on Memory Read protection for all Guarded Applications in the Medium level (equivalent to old High) as the default. Thanks for the feedback.

13. Barb_C

Barb_C Developer

There have been some great GUI ideas posted in the past few days. Thanks! They will be considered for future release.

14. karad

karad Registered Member

Dear Barbara, there is one thing which is a bit worrying for me, you stated that:

This is very honest on your part to say,as it means that even with current 3.5 the MBR protection is less than perfect : I knew all MBR protection solutions were not full-proof and 100%, but what transpires from your words is more alarming....
    I had chosen AppGuard mainly-also because of the MBR protection which ,when coupled with Sandboxie, seemed a total winner.

I had to learn a lot to make AppGuard and Sandboxie work fine together since January 02 (entitled to free upgrade?) and I really hate the idea that in the new 'simplified' (too simplified?) version one of the pillars will be missing...

Please get the new developer asap and I'm willing to give up any discount if the new engineer comes up with a perfect MBR solution.
    Regards
    karad

15. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Hi Barb

I run in Lock Down mode, and I've not seen any real issues. Generally I just add any problem apps to the mem read/write exceptions. That off course assumes I know the program and trust it. Appguard can mess with unknowns to it's hearts content, that's why I have it.

Pete

16. moontan

moontan Registered Member

can you install a plugin in, let's say in Firefox, while Appguard is in locked down mode?

17. Peter2150

Tell you the truth, I don't remember. I probably just set it to install, so it doesn't cause problems.

Pete

18. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

I'll beta test then :D

19. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Is there a projected release date for V4?:)

20. chris1341

chris1341 Guest

Always ran in Locked Down. No adverse impacts. Almost all of memory guard alerts from guarded apps can be safely ignored. The ones I've had to add to exceptions are for non-guarded apps trying to read/write memory of guarded apps which I understand you're now saying won't be necessary.

The only possible anomaly worth mentioning I've had was with Webroot Secure anywhere AV. Whatever protection it implements for browsers generate a lot of alerts where the guarded app tries to read or write to its own memory and that of other running processes. No alerts in High and even in Locked Down, no functional impact I could see.

Cheers

21. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

At the suggestion of a couple different individuals, I've installed v3.5 right over the top of 3.4.2 and it went very smoothly -- no problems at all. Everything's working well.

22. TomAZ

TomAZ Registered Member

Pete-

Can you give me a real simple explanation of the difference in functionality between Lockdown Mode and High Mode.

Tom

23. TheKid7

TheKid7 Registered Member

I just installed over the top on my other two PC's, and I have not yet seen any issues. I decided not to hold off for a few days on upgrading these two PC's.

24. Peter2150

Easiest way to see the difference is open the GUI, and move the slider back and forth between high and lockdown. It will show the difference.

Look at that and see if it makes sense.

Pete

25. pegr

pegr Registered Member

It works for me, so it should work for you too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.