AppGuard 1.4.7.0 is out

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by demoneye, Mar 16, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

i guez we have to wait

2. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

for some reason i cant run AppGuard.

i install it but it says my protection is off and if i right click the system tray icon i dont get the whole menu, and only shows the one tab.

i repair the install and restarted and still same thing.

running windows 7 32bit.

3. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Try exiting the GUI from the tray icon and then start it again from the desktop shortcut or start menu link.

4. AvinashR

AvinashR Registered Member

Now can anybody explain why KIS 2010 is doing this ?

KIS is quarantining some files of AppGuard...But don't know why?

Attached Files:

5. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

i did exit the program. and then started it as run as administrator, then finely asked me for the key i entered it that didnt fix the issue i then exited the program again and start it again.

then again it asked me for my key.

this version needs fixed.

6. AvinashR

Yeah, You's right..

In the previous version when i registered the key with Admin rights ..it stay registered with USERS Account, but this time i have to register separately for each user account in my system.

I don't know why it happened?

7. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

seems AG goes down and down and none rely care in Blue Ridge Networks :(

8. AvinashR

I guess they have not tested this product thoroughly, that's why we are facing these issues...Hope they will find out the solution asap

9. pegr

pegr Registered Member

I think the service is loading before the GUI on Windows startup but I will check this tonight when I get home and report back if that's not the case.

10. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

Hi All,

Last night, I asked engineering's head honcho to investigate. Thank you for bringing these observations to our attention. I expect we'll have follow-up questions. The screenshots and details providing context are quite helpful.

Cheers,

Eirik

11. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

This appears to be due to the licensing functions. If one uninstalled version 1.3 prior to installing 1.4, the uninstall process would deactivate that instance of the license key. So, when one then installs 1.4, the licensing implementation requires a second restart. Engineering tells me we can eliminate this issue and shall when we implement our licensing vendor's new binaries in the next release.

This issue is not expected to appear when one runs the 1.4 install file without previously uninstalling the 1.3 installation.

Please let us know if you uninstalled 1.3 prior to running the 1.4 install file, and if so, let us know if the second restart fails to resolve the issue.

Cheers,

Eirik

12. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

Are you observing this delay after a second restart? One test case in-house showed a delay on the initial install-restart because the anti-virus/spyware software on the host detected a driver change an performed some kind of a quick scan. No delays were observed on this host in successive restarts.

So, question to you all observing the delayed tray icon..., does this occur on a second or third restart as well?

Now, I don't believe this aligns with the observations of Greg S, however. Isn't that correct Greg?

The point of this post is that we're still gathering observations/symptoms so as to replicate and resolve this.

Thanks,

Eirik

13. 1000db

1000db Registered Member

I installed the update without uninstalling the previous version and it worked very well. The settings and license info transferred correctly. I like the idea of allowing a single exe to run/install without completely disabling protection. The way it stands is comparable to getting naked just to pee when all you should have to do is unzip. o_O

14. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

I love that analogy.

We strongly recommend that AppGuard users run the 1.4 install file and let it replace the older version as part of the 1.4 installation.

Don't forget to wash your hands before shaking someone's hand. :D

Cheers,

Eirik

15. AvinashR

Yeah i have uninstalled the previous and then re-installed the new exe file...And after that i have to activate license for each and every user account on my system...I have made 3 user account, this mean i have activated the license key three times...I hope this won't affect my license key...

16. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Yes, the tray icon consistently takes 12 seconds to appear in the tray on successive restarts. Also, disabling my real-time anti-malware makes absolutely no difference to the tray icon loading time. Using Process Explorer I was able to see that the AppGuardGUI.exe process starts almost immediately, but it takes a further 12 seconds for the tray icon to appear.

17. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

i didnt have 1.3 installed. i did before a few months back but uninstalled it. then issue come up as i describe above

18. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

My tray icon(AG) is always the last one to appear in the tray so the loading time may vary. I'm not concerned with the timing of the tray icon as long as it(AG) functions properly pertaining to the security aspect. It appears that it is working security wise even though in my issue, the AG settings dialog was borked. Evidence of that was the screenshot of browsing for said screenshot. I assume if it were not working, I wouldn't have gotten the popup alert. I also tested the USB launch with the Dialog settings borked and it also worked. Just for the record, the screenie image in last post was moved to the desktop from the documents folder before the screenshot was taken. That is where the browse function on this forum is defaulted to. Just for the heck of it, I added the Desktop folder(path) to privacy protected folder. I then hit browse on this forum which as mentioned, for me defaults to the Desktop, AG blocked it dead in it's tracks. What does all that mean to or for me, I haven't a clue. Now that I have the Disable/Re-Enable protection working my personal wish list on this would be,

1) Totally get rid of this IE has blocked access to the Documents folder thingy since it's useless in my opinion because it only works correct 50 percent of the time unless I'm doing something wrong on my end. Also when I say totally get rid of it, I especially mean that flashing icon every time it happens. I know that I can select to not show the popup alert but I will still get the flashing icon which is again useless. AG is warning about blocking something that it in fact did not block which is access to the Documents folder. If it truly did block access to the Documents folder then I would have gotten the full fledge block popup alert as I did when I added the Desktop folder to the protection. As in screenshot below. This is what I get when the Desktop is added to protection. In the screenshot below, I get this message when I try to click the Desktop link in Explorer left side pane. My other option could be, remove the Documents folder from being protected but why should I. AG needs to remove this blocked Documents folder access false alarm and the associated flashing tray icon.

2) I would love to have the option to disable certain protections either until re-boot or until I re-enable them myself. I'm mostly talking about the USB launch protection. I have SRP setup for block all including Admins, nothing gets past this including files with extensions that AG does not protect. So I really don't need the AG USB protection on all the time.

PS: I did not have version 1.3 installed prior to installing 1.4.

Capture.JPG

19. pegr

pegr Registered Member

This is a valid point. From the tests I have performed, I too have found that AG security is functioning well before the tray icon appears. However, CPU utilisation remains very high on my system while the tray icon is loading, which impacts system performance until the tray icon appears.

20. Eirik

Eirik Registered Member

Hi All,

I've heard back from engineering on:

Delayed Appearance of AppGuard Icon​

They have confirmed the delay. It is caused by the licensing binaries from our partner. They perform a check with each Windows launch, and cause more CPU use than AppGuard itself. This does not impair security. In the next release we will be improving the licensing code.

Cheers,

Eirik

21. pegr

pegr Registered Member

Good news that the cause has been found. :thumb: :)

22. jmonge

jmonge Registered Member

thanks Eirik;)

23. demoneye

demoneye Registered Member

erik

what about a none unicode issue?? is it gona be fix asap also? its more critical than any bug so far when u CANT protect Dir that its name is not in English.

cheers

24. Brocke

Brocke Registered Member

does anyone running Windows 7 32bit have this block while running IE8?

when i run IE8 AG keeps blinking and alert of that.

25. Greg S

Greg S Registered Member

Eirik, I have added the Desktop folder to AG's Privacy. Reading a post here on Wilders there was a link to a semi security product. I clicked the link and of course it took me to the web site. AG's status tab shows this

Capture.JPG

My question is, did AG truly block these events?. If they are blocked, then this privacy mode is pretty sweet and I would like to have a way to disable the flashing tray icon just for the privacy mode. According to the help file "AppGuard will sometimes prevent applications from writing to system directories with no adverse side effects (i.e. the application still operates as desired). AppGuard will report these events in the AppGuard GUI.". The same should go for blocked item in privacy mode especially if "the application still operates as desired" . OK, great, let it report this in the status tab and/or the event viewer. Enough already, no need to flash the tray icon too if something is prevented, especially if it's benign and "the application still operates as desired" . I still have my doubts as to whether something has been prevented/blocked/not accessed pertaining to this privacy mode.

About things in privacy mode being blocked, why is it that on some I get the dialog box that has this

View attachment 216322

and on others I get this

View attachment 216361

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.