Append notification not working

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by CyberCop, Feb 17, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CyberCop

CyberCop Guest

Hi everybody,

I'm very satisfied with NOD32 but I've discovered a little bug on my machine. I want NOD32 to tag all incoming emails with the scan notification but unfortunately this is not working.
    To test this feature I've sent the EICAR-testfile to myself with the option to append the notification to infected emails only. The result is the same, the scan notification is not appended to incoming emails.
    I'm using OE6 with K9, both programs are configured to use port 110; K9 is connecting to my email-provider via port 110 and OE is connecting to K9 also via port 110. BTW: the notification doesn't also work when I'm only using OE without K9.

Any ideas?

Best regards,
    CyberCop

2. Millerntor

Millerntor Guest

Hi CyberCop,

you will have to use the correct configuration for K9. This means to configure K9 to listen on Port 9999 and to configure your e-mail program to the same port.
    You can vary the port number, but it has to be different from 110.

K9 and NOD32 are working great on my machine. Even better since I use an e-mail program that allows filtering on headers.

Greetings from
    Millerntor

3. CyberCop

CyberCop Guest

Hi Millerntor,

when I've set up both programs with the original configuration I noticed that IMON doesn't scan incoming emails. If an email comes into your inbox, is the counter for checked emails in the IMON status window counting up?
    When I configure OE and K9 on port 110 than it is working fine (except the notification).

Greetings,
    CyberCop

4. Millerntor

Millerntor Guest

Hi CyberCop,

my IMON is working flawlessly in scanning incoming mail and removing viral infections. However I noticed that in some cases the notification added to the body of the message is missing. I have quite a lot of Swen.A message samples in my trash. Some of them contain not much text in the body. To these messages the NOD32-notification is added. Other messages contain (in addition to the virus) pictures and lots of html content. In these instances, the NOD32-notification is often missing.

In every case the X-NOD32Result header has been correctly set. The same is true for the added text in the subject line. Is this header present in those mails you used for testing?

Because I'm filtering on the header data in my email program I've never noticed that some virus mails are missing this notification.

Maybe you could try to repair network configuration from the IMON advanced setup.

Greetings from
    Millerntor

5. sagittarius

sagittarius Registered Member

I have the same problem on my desktop (Windows XP Pro)and my laptop, running practically identical programs & the same OS.
    The only difference in configuration is that I run Outpost Firewall on my Desktop & ZoneAlarm Pro on my laptop.
    Yes, IMON is set to append the notification.
    As a Reseller, this suddenly came to my attention yesterday, when I was going to demonstrate the feature to a prospectrive client ... only to discover, to my embarrassment, that none of my sent email had the message appended --- but it was on all incoming mail from those contacts who have NOD installed.
    Has anybody got any clues as to why this would be?

6. Marcos

Marcos Eset Staff Account

Tag messages are only appended to incoming email. Under certain circumstances, especially when an email does not use the standard HTML format, the tag message may be missing. At any rate, the subject of an infected email is supposed to be changed regardless the tag message.

7. sagittarius

sagittarius Registered Member

Mine doesn't work on incoming email either ... to prove this I have just sent & email (in plain text) to myself and then forwarded it to each of my other mail accounts ... none have the notification appendedo_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.