AppCheck by CheckMal

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Mr.X, Jan 16, 2017.

1. guest

guest Guest

1) Files in the "Backup(AppCheck)" are protected from being modified/renamed/deleted. (They are deleted after 7 days: [X] Auto clean-up files in Ransomware Shelter)
    I'm not sure if there is a size-limit.
    2) AppCheck is not using convential signature-based detection method's.

2. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Right.

According to its brochure, AppCheck's CARB Engine (Context - Awareness based Ransomeware Behavior Detection) provides exquisite detection of file alteration from ransomware, differing from conventional signature/behavior based engines.

Hence this app is designed to target ransomware specifically.

3. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Registered Member

And, the icing is on the cake Houston :)

4. itman

itman Registered Member

The question to be determined is how AppCheck performs against the latest strains of ransomware employing their own internal encryption routines that do not rely on Windows API based ones.

5. @Ikko Yi

I have observed some in-consequent behavior of AppCheck which maybe a bug.

I have AppCheck on two PC's. When I do the same test (run AppTimer) on those two machines, AppCHeck copies the log file of AppTimer (a text file) which is updated (by AppTimer) 5 times in a row (after launching Chrome) to its backup directory on D. Repeating the same test on the other PC does not trigger a backup.

PC with text file in backup folder (on D) has C and D where C and D are tow physical drives

PC with no text file in backup (and no backup directory on D) has C and D where C and D are partitions on one physical drive

So I removed AppCheck on second PC (and replaced it with Secure Folders)

6. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Did someone notice AppCheck on this latest version 2.0.1.3 reads the hard drive on every cold boot or restart?
    And it takes some seconds to read or do what it has to do I guess depending on the size of the files included for Auto Backup.

7. guest

guest Guest

I guess AppCheck compares all files/folders included in "Backup Source" with the "Auto Backup(AppCheck)" folder after each restart. If it can find new files it is copying them the "Auto Backup(AppCheck)"-folder. :doubt:
    This checking of all files might have caused a delay.

8. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Ikko should find another way to compare sources and backup store. I don't want AppCheck doing this every morning or restart at anytime. Overhead and wear to my HDD.

Look, for now I got 5 GB only but imagine if I increase to 10 or 20 or 40.

9. guest

guest Guest

Does it also happen with the Auto-Backup feature being turned off?
    If not, then we know for sure that the delay is caused by the Auto-Backup feature.

10. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

I presume this applies to the Pro version only?

11. _CyberGhosT_

_CyberGhosT_ Registered Member

Right ;)

12. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

No it does not @mood , just checked a few moments ago. And yes now we know for sure.

And now I wonder if this seek lasts according to the AutoBackup(AppCheck) folder size.

13. guest

guest Guest

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2017
  14. boredog

boredog Registered Member

LOL mood

최신 업데이트 내역

(정품 사용자는 하루 지연 업데이트 됩니다.)

2.0.1.4 버전 (2017년 3월 8일 오후 5시 00분)

• 다국어(일본어) 리소스 수정
    • 사용자 신뢰 파일 기능 개선

15. guest

guest Guest

@boredog
    :)
    The changelog is not available in English, so you have to translate it with other services. Google Translate for example.

16. clubhouse1

clubhouse1 Registered Member

I don't see what is LOL about it? As a matter of fact I don't understand what a LOL mood is!

17. clubhouse1

18. itman

itman Registered Member

I would never buy software from an outfit that can't add. One year purchase price is $20.96 x 2 = $41.92. But their two year purchase price is $41.93. Not only is there no discount but it costs you $.01 more .............o_O

Last edited: Mar 14, 2017
  19. guest

guest Guest

I wouldn't buy a software just to get a slightly better RPO compared with a backup solution to use it in a non critical and stable environment in terms of new files created that a normal home PC user represents

20. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

It doesn't make sense to me either. I take an hourly macrium incremental, so at any sign of trouble I just do a restore. Problem solved.

21. Baldrick

Baldrick Registered Member

Exactly the same here, Peter...glad to see that I am not the only one whose is verging on the paranoid ;):D

22. clubhouse1

I rely firstly on daily backups, I don't have anything sufficiently important enough concerning my internet activities to need hourly, perhaps if I was a Donald Trump type tycoon I would :)...I use software as such as this mainly out of curiosity in as much I haven't found a AV or AM that has been of any real-time use for several years aside from expected warnings...Perhaps my internet usage is to tame and "unrisky" to provoke any use from these security softwares.

23. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

+1. Curiosity, learning ...

24. guest

guest Guest

If a user wants an application for making backups, then a dedicated backup-solution is a better choice. Macrium Reflect, etc.

25. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

One doesn't need to be a Donald Trump to need hourly backups. Any business would be wise to do them.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.