AppCheck by CheckMal

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Mr.X, Jan 16, 2017.

1. guest

guest Guest

AppCheck Anti-Ransomware 2.5.52.3 Released (18. Nov. 2021)
    Website / Download: https://www.checkmal.com/download/AppCheckSetup.exe
    20211126510_editor_image[1].png

2. lucd

lucd Registered Member

what you mean they are in trouble?

3. Surt

Surt Registered Member

AppCheck is at 2.5.52.5. No changelog as of this posting.

AppChk25525.jpg

4. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

I decided to downgrade to an older version of AppCheck because Vivaldi started to act a bit weird, it would start to freeze more often.

5. guest

guest Guest

AppCheck Anti-Ransomware 2.5.53.2 Released (16. Feb. 2022)
    Website / Download: https://www.checkmal.com/download/AppCheckSetup.exe
    AppCheck_2.5.53.2_2022243489_editor_image.png

6. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

Wait a minute, so after so many years they will finally warn you about this? I didn't have a clue that it played an important role in blocking ransomware. It does make sense that it's needed for file recovery once certain files have already been encrypted. I wonder if AppCheck works in a different way than HMPA's CryptoGuard.

7. Surt

Surt Registered Member

8. lucd

lucd Registered Member

How do I scan PC with the new interface, I used to double click on the appcheck icon whitin software's GUI and it would scan PC for infections, now what? the scanner was a pretty decent one, it would scan for changes as compared to known clean OS
    I hate when they hide or remove important features with updates
    edit: they did remove cleaner scan OMG, but why

Version 3.1.17.1 (11. April. 2022. 04:30 UTC)

• Changed user interface
    • Improved Self Protection (Available in AppCheck free version.)
    • Added Advanced detection features : Ghost detection, Smart detection (Only AppCheck Pro)
    • Added Threat protection : System threat protection (Only AppCheck Pro)
    • Removed Cleaner scan
    • Improved Exception Setting : Exception File / Folder list
    • Fixed various bug

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  9. Surt

Surt Registered Member

My Pro v2.5.54.3 isn't allowing for an update at this point in time as Monday's v3.1.17.1 (which I didn't get around to doing) got updated yesterday. I haven't timed out that 24 hour delay yet; I'm going to check again tomorrow.
    However, for now, check your install folder for AppCheckC.exe which anyway IMHO has a more exciting, fun filled UI. There might be a v3.x AppCheckC??

AppCheckCleaner.jpg

Last edited: Apr 15, 2022
  10. Surt

Surt Registered Member

As of this posting, neither of my systems running Pro will update to v3 and there's this notation on the update history page:
    I fired up my ancient E8400/G35 Win10 Pro clunker which is running the not-Pro AppCheck version and it updated to 3.1.18.1.

I can't find a IU scanner either (EDIT) in 3.1.18.1.

An AppCheckC.exe replacement (if there will be one at all) for the previous and functional v2.x AppCheckC.exe is absent from the program folder.

Just for grins, I copied a v2.5.54.3 AppCheckC.exe to the root of the v3.1.18.1 CheckMAL folder and ran it as Admin and it worked, banging checkmal.com for an "Update in Progress" worth 5.5 MB, but scanning only system integrity and network environment. Pro scans malwares and adwares as well and most likely the bypass of those two in non-Pro is by design, as it should be IMHO.

Seems like things are still getting ironed out over there at CheckMAL in which case coasting with v2.5.54.3 for now is A-OK by me.

Last edited: Apr 20, 2022
  11. lucd

lucd Registered Member

hi,
    maybe you missed that in my post, you will not find the scanner since they removed it

• Removed Cleaner scan
    best

12. Surt

Surt Registered Member

Nope. Didn't miss a thing.
    As your post #683 focused on 3.1.17.1 and "scan PC with the new interface" and 3.1.18.1 was available, I gave the newer release a try. I edited my post #685. AppCheck's changelogs haven't been up to the standards of the app itself. In the five years I've been using it, I have a half dozen email exchanges about the updates, two of them when updates occurred without a changelog posted at all.

The cleaner executable itself remains functional but its viability at this point remains as conjecture, mine being that the scan will be feature of Pro only. As "AppCheck Pro version will be updated in the future" is the current status, it's all wait and see.

BTW, the AppCheckSetup.exe I just downloaded from the CheckMAL site is 2.5.54.3 according to its Properties > Details. Auto-update being its default, I suspect it would update to
    3.1.18.1 eventually.

Cheers.

13. lucd

lucd Registered Member

sry I was a little bit absent
    I am thinking rolling back, should find version prior to scan removal
    "I copied a v2.5.54.3 AppCheckC.exe to the root of the v3.1.18.1 CheckMAL folder and ran it as Admin and it worked, banging checkmal.com for an "Update in Progress" worth 5.5 MB, but scanning only system integrity and network environment. "

@Surf Interesting so this 2.5.54 is by default in the folder , no need download extra?

Last edited: Apr 21, 2022
  14. aldist

aldist Registered Member

Is that the "big (reg) green button"? So this button is still there, it launches AppCheckC.exe (v2.5.54.3), which is Cleaner. Or I don't understand something.
    It will only be there if automatic updates are enabled, or I don't understand something. Exactly, sometimes I don't understand anything.

15. aldist

aldist Registered Member

When performing a scan in my computer, the network connection finally fails, the local network (router) is not pinged, the external network is not pinged, and I can only repair the network by restoring the system from a backup. Checked twice. At the same time, the Wi-Fi is working fine.

16. Surt

Surt Registered Member

ICYMI: not-Pro is v3.1.19.2 as of 04/21. But still "AppCheck Pro version will be updated in the future." And still no AppCheckC.

Guess what? I just noticed there has been an aida.dll (the scanner library) v3.1.x in the AppCheck Program Files folder all along. Hmmmm...

BTW, I've been using AppCheck Pro and not-Pro since its release across an historical sum of seven Win7 and Win10 systems, three of which using Pro depending on my systems' timelines.

Anyhow, until Pro v3.x shows up (and there's something I care to post on), I'm burned out on this scan discussion and what follows is it for now. Cheers!

Yes. That launches AppCheckC.exe v2.x which runs in the background and the "button" then presents progress. When launched from the AppCheck folder, it opens a UI as demonstrated in my post #684.

Upon "Scan Now," AppCheckC hits checkmal dot com for updates which are stored in \ProgramData\CheckMAL\AppCheck as aida.db. This occurs whether or not Auto Updates is enabled.

AppcheckC v2.5.54.3 running in AppCheck v3.1.19.2:
    ASUS-000452.jpg

AppCheckC.exe v2.x has always been in v2.x \Program Files\CheckMAL\AppCheck. Automatic updates has nothing to do with it.

My bad; I was mistaken about this. Scan choices are configured under the v2.x Cleaner tab and all scans are available in not-Pro. Your v2.x choices migrate to v3.1 but the latter can't yet be changed as there is no UI for it as of v3.1.19.2.

Try disabling "Scan network environment" under the v2.x Cleaner tab. One way or the other, report the issue to CheckMAL support.

As of this posting, the setup download at CheckMAL is still v2.5.54.3 (check Properties > Details to be sure). Get it while it's hot! Upon first run, immediately disable Auto Updates as that might sneak in a v3.x on you.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2022
  17. lucd

lucd Registered Member

I got it! thanks

something weird I notice, appcheck.exe, appcheckc.exe and appchecks.exe all want connection, but anyway they are fine on virustotal

also appcheck scan found 4 items, above the wheel it said failed to remove, but when I clicked on the details it says it removed all items
    a new rescan yields 0 results
    a manual search yields 0 results
    I think the old scanner had buggy info and appcheck did indeed remove the "infection"

you got old version, since in the new one there is no scan as per changelog:
    Version 3.1.17.1 (11. April. 2022. 04:30 UTC)

• Changed user interface
    • Improved Self Protection (Available in AppCheck free version.)
    • Added Advanced detection features : Ghost detection, Smart detection (Only AppCheck Pro)
    • Added Threat protection : System threat protection (Only AppCheck Pro)
    • Removed Cleaner scan
    • Improved Exception Setting : Exception File / Folder list
    • Fixed various bugs

Last edited: Apr 26, 2022
  18. Surt

Surt Registered Member

3.1.20.1 Version three continues as a work in progress.

19. Surt

Surt Registered Member

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    PRO IS UPDATED!!

Last edited: May 16, 2022
  20. Surt

Surt Registered Member

21. Surt

Surt Registered Member

22. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Free still at Version 2.5.57.2 (19. Sep. 2022.

23. drhu22

drhu22 Registered Member

My free version is showing 3.1.24.3 8:15pm mtn

24. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Been a few hours i'll retry again. Thanks @drhu22

Success :thumb:

Last edited: Oct 25, 2022
  25. Surt

Surt Registered Member

AppCheck Pro gets 3.1.24.13
    As usual, no changelog as of this posting.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.