App: real\update_ob\rnathchk.exe running amok?

Discussion in 'ProcessGuard' started by Hagbard, Feb 4, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hagbard

Hagbard Registered Member

I didn't give RealPlayer any particular rights, I use RegProt to prevent Real from adding its update thingy into the registry.
    Now that I have PG installed rnathcke.exe is flooding the log:
    ... tried to gain WRITE,TERMINATE,SET INFO,SUSPEND access on c:\programme\web\processguard\procguard.exe
    plus what looks like all processes currently running.

From what I found rnathchk.exe seems to be harmless, I'm just curious, Is rnathchk just looking for company? (Or is PG showing me more information than is good for me and (a little) ignorance is bliss? :rolleyes:)

2. Jason_DiamondCS

Jason_DiamondCS Former DCS Moderator

I'm not sure what mathchk.exe actually does so I cannot help you that much. You could try stopping it from running if possible. I cannot see why REAL player would need to enumerate the process list.... so it looks like it may be ADWARE or something, just a guess.

-Jason-

3. nameless

nameless Registered Member

The file RNATHCHK.EXE is the "RealNetworks ATH Check App". I have no idea what that means. I normally think "absolute threshold of hearing" when I see "ATH", but I doubt that's what it is associated with.

In any event, you can do without RNATHCHK.EXE entirely. You can rename it to prevent it from running. In fact, you can rename the entire "Update_OB" directory without affecting RealOne Player's normal operation (don't delete it, though, because you will need it to uninstall RealOne Player).

4. Hagbard

Hagbard Registered Member

Great tip, worked. Thanks!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.