AOMEI Data Backuper 1.0

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by guest, Jan 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi Jim1Cor13

I have now had responses from both AOMEI and Lazesoft:

AOMEI

My Question

""Hi

I have recently tried databackuper. I like the interface, but hit a snag when trying to create a boot cd or USB Flash Drive from within your software. In addition I created an .ISO and burned it as per your website instructions (UltraISO) and also with ImgBurn

In all cases I could not get the CD/USB to boot correctly.

With the CD I got a black screen + pulsating cursor.

With the USB it booted to a conventional WinPE3 complete with command prompt and an error message stating that commands were missing. No AOMEI logo/artwork or any evidence of Backup/Restore/Clone functions.

I have WAIK install which I have used many times before with other software to create Rescue CDs.

Have you had this problem with other users?

Can you suggest what might be wrong?

Thanks Terry""

Their Reply

""Hello,

Sorry to reply you late.
    About this problem I am sorry it is a bug on Windows 64-bit version, to solve this problem I will share the ISO file that I created to you via my hotmail. Pleas check.
    This program is our newly developed software (currently it can only support Windows 7/8, server 2012, server 2008 r2), it still has a lot of work to optimize it, appreciate your understanding.""

LAZESOFT

My Question

"Hi @ Lazesoft

I am a member of Wilderssecurity forum and learnt of the above product incorporated into the Recovery Suite.

It (DISK IMAGE & CLONE FREE) received some favourable comment (in the forum).

In my own case I thought some of the issues raised were valid which I will deal with here.

1) Extremely long backup time circa 75 minutes for a 30GB

2) The fact that it is a cold imaging application only.

In regard to the former do you have any plans to improve backup times?

In regard to the latter, will Hot imaging be on your development agenda. If so when?

Thank you for your help

Terry

ps I include link for Forum thread: ""

Their Reply

"""Dear Terry

Thank you for contacting us.

Your feedbacks are very helpful to us.

> In regard to the former do you have any plans to improve backup times?
    Yes, we plan to improve backup times of Disk to Image and Partition to
    Image in Lazesoft Disk Image & Clone. Now, we are designing new algorithm
    of backup for the bigger compression ratio and the faster backup speed.
    The new version may be available in 3 months or half a Year.

> 2) In regard to the latter, will Hot imaging be on your development
    agenda. If so when?
    Currently, Hot imaging is not on our development agenda. It will be on our
    development agenda. However, we still can not determine the time of
    development.

If you have any questions or suggestion, please do not hesitate to contact
    me.

Thank you very much!

Best Regards,
    Rex Deamon
    support@lazesoft.com
    http://www.lazesoft.com"""

MY COMMENTS

I got a response in both cases which is encouraging unlike many developers who just drop off a cliff.

Again the acid test is what they do and how consistent/reliable they are. We shall see.

I will try the 64 bit iso which I now have the link for and report back

Regards

Terry

2. Jim1cor13

Jim1cor13 Registered Member

Thank you Terry. Glad they both responded. I am also very glad to read that AOMEI did what I was hoping, and that was give you a link to an ISO they created, in your case for 64 bit. I do hope you find it works, but I also hope they figure out how to make it an easier process to create it from within their program with proper support.

In regards to Lazesoft, they have also great potential. Others could learn from them how to have a program that easily creates its own Winpe boot disc without WAIK installed, and it does it very well, as mentioned previously, from what I could tell when I first installed Lazesoft recovery suite, I was very pleased at the simplicity of boot disc creation in which they download a boot.wim file and they add their tools and it simply works.

For a free suite, it is impressive and at least for me it has worked great and a lot of features to sort through that could prove beneficial at some point. because their suite is for working outside of windows via bootable disc, it is unlikely any time soon they would consider the hot imaging side, but for what they now implement, it does work, although slower than most due to their high compression by default that cannot be adjusted. If they improve their imaging engine it would improve I think by itself if they simply offer adjustable compression levels. But good to read they are looking ahead.

I found their support very good with my questions, and their utilities have performed well in my opinion. Maybe a few months from now, even faster from what they told you. Of course the free will have some features limited, but overall, very useful tools.

Have a good day Terry! :)

Jim

3. TerryWood

TerryWood Registered Member

Hi Moderators

At my suggestion AOMEI Backup principals are trying to participate in the forum. They have "signed up" for an account BUT they have contacted me to say that their account is "stuck" waiting for moderators review and asked me if I can help.

Please find below the substance of what they said in an email to me. In addition they are looking for approval of their account.

Hello Terry,

Sorry to take your time. I have a problem could you help? Regarding AOMEI Data Backuper, I have report the discussions on Wilderssecurity forums to our manager Jack. Last Friday, he created a account and was trying to reply the post that discussing "Data Backuper" on Wilderssecurity forums. The result display that "my post is awaiting moderator review", but till now the reply still have not been showed. I tried PM the moderator, but I have no permission.
    My question is: How can I reply here? Or would you help you post my manager's reply on the forum: https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=339122 ?
    Our manager very appreciate yours tests and attaches great importance to the problems, he said "
    Hello,
    I’m Jack from AOMEI, here I sincerely thank you for your sounds.
    Thank you:
    Jim1cor13
    RADEON0101
    JoeBlack40
    Solarlynx
    Tadoussac
    TerryWood
    Andylau …

For this product, your interest and testing let us see the lack. The quality and performance of this product can get a larger increase in the future; this must have your credit, contribution and help.

AOMEI Data Backuper is now upgrading, and thank you for your feedback here. We now have only one idea: must improve this product, really enhance it and address these issues live up to everyone's expectations of AOMEI. When AOMEI releases the next upgrade version, expect yours testing and discussion. Thank you very much.

Sincerely"
    Thanks for your help in advance.

4. JoeBlack40

JoeBlack40 Registered Member

Thank you Terry for making possible the "link" with Jack (Hi Jack!) from Aomei.I hope their account will be active as soon as possible,as their software is full of potential and we would like to help.(and to use a free cool program of course :D )

5. andylau

andylau Registered Member

It is still no official people come to here:ninja:

6. JoeBlack40

Yes,unfortunately....Maybe they're just busy to resolve the bugs.;) (wish to be true though)

7. andylau

V1.1 is released, but I cannot find any changelog

Now, it includes AOMEI Data Backuper Linux Bootable Disc
    But unluckily, the Linux Bootable Disc just has restore and clone features. Therefore, the Linux Bootable Disc cannot do cold-image.:oops:
    http://www.aomeitech.com/download.html#

8. Jim1cor13

Thank you andy for the info. :)

I downloaded the latest version, 1.1, and installed it. I really like the interface and the simplicity. Well laid out and to the point.

I actually only installed it in order to create the Winpe boot media. I am assuming it creates it from the Winre.wim file if present on ones system in Win 7 and i chose Winpe for the boot media, and it stated it could create it, so I proceeded. Took about 3 minutes or so and worked well. No need for WAIK as it appears to use the Winre.

The Winpe boot media allows both backup, restore, clone features plus utilities selection offers command prompt, image exploration, etc.

I placed the boot ISO on my flash drive then used EasyBCD to add an entry for the ISO to my flash drive boot menu. It worked great, and very nice interface, about the same as the windows installation. I backed up a data partition of 2.23 GB in about 3 minutes or so. I then mounted the image to explore it, that went fine, but to actually explore the mounted image which is a virtual partition after mounting, one needs to fiddle a bit to get to an explorer window, which I figured it out and went to choose a backup path, and then was able to see the mounted drive letter and open it to explore. Their instructions to explore need to be a bit clearer i think but it was fine.

I will next boot the media and create a OS image, and then test the restore feature for a system image.

Overall, not sure what changes there are in 1.1, but I like the Winpe boot media it created and the backup speed is comparable to Macrium, etc.

I sure hope they get this right, it is a very nice free imaging app, and so far I like what i see, but testing the restore of the OS will be the real test. i will check back when I have the time to test further.

I really like this interface, well done in my opinion, but most important is I hope they fixed their restore issues that many were having problems with. I guess I will find out ;)

Jim

9. andylau

Jim,

I have my own custom WinPE 4.0, therefore I do not like to create seperate WinPE for each software. I use a lot of software on one WinPE.:D

If AOMEI Data Backuper can do the same likes Aomei Partition Assistant that can load its drivers automatically will be better.

Of course, if its linux bootdisk to can backup will be nice too.:D

10. andylau

Just compared its registries that added to SYSTEM hive,
    besides services under [HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\Services], it also needs UpperFilters to make it work properly.:oops:
    That means it must integrate both drivers and registries to WinPE's HIVE, especially, UpperFilters.

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\ControlSet001\Control\Class\{71a27cdd-812a-11d0-bec7-08002be2092f}]

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  11. Jim1cor13

Hi folks :)

Using the Aomei Data backuper 1.1 winpe boot media from flash drive, I created a cold image of win 7 partition. Image creation of 6.18GB took about 3 minutes, very fast.

Later in the day, I formatted the win 7 partition using Partition Wizard bootable media, I then booted into Aomei winpe. Chose restore from the interface, opened path to external drive and chose image I created earlier today.

Proceeded with restore, and it appears to have been flawless. I am going through the files and see nothing added or "altered" as some do. it just works.

As for exploring a mounted image under winpe, once it is mounted, I found a nice portable file manager that appears to work fine for exploring a mounted image in Aomei. It is called A43, it can be found here: http://www.softpedia.com/get/File-managers/A43.shtml and I just copied its folder to my external drive, accessed it via command prompt and had access to all my partitions and the mounted image. :) Only issue I had using the A43 file manager was properly showing hidden files, but although the option was checked, after i closed it and restarted the app, it appeared to actually show the hidden files. Also, another nice portable file manager with a lot of features is Q-DIR, but I found with it I was not able to copy and paste for some reason, but i was able to access all partitions, etc. So A43 for me, was fine once I got it to show all hidden files. :)

Ok for now. I hope this helps those who had restore issues. At this time, unless I find something odd, it has worked very well...and very fast. Nice job Aomei.

Jim

Last edited: Feb 12, 2013
  12. JoeBlack40

Thank you guys for the news and for the feed-back.Can't wait to install the new version and see if the restore feature is now working.

13. Jim1cor13

Hi Joe :)

Have you tried AOMEI yet? I have been testing it regularly and so far have found it to be solid, obviously much more stable and reliable than version 1.0 at least for me. I never tried 1.0, as I waited until they addressed the issues I was reading about. 1.1 appears to do the job and it does it with ease. nice free solution so far.

I hope you find it useful also. Nice tool to add to ones array of capable backup programs. I installed in windows just to create the Winpe boot disc ISO which far as I can tell is based upon Winre.wim, so I use just the Winpe boot media that offers cold imaging, etc. Nice logical interface also. There is one issue though that they need to address, for example when using the Winpe media, when you mount an image, in order to explore it, the instructions it gives to explore after mounting are the same as if it was installed under Windows. So in order to explore an image, I found a few portable file managers that seem to work fine, they are free. A43 is one of them, and i also found one called Explorer++ which are fine. Problems with them are they do not always properly show hidden files. so I created a registry file I merge using regedit under winpe in order to get the hidden file part to work properly. Another protable one that works well is Q-DIR and it does properly set the show hidden files in the registry. I had problems with Q-DIR though with copy/paste routines, so i found A43 or Explorer++ to be a fine alternative although Q-DIR is feature rich, it has bugs with copy/paste. Hope this info is helpful :)

Have a good weekend :)

Jim

Last edited: Feb 15, 2013
  14. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Hi Andylau,

Can you please open a new thread and shows us noobs, how you created the custom WinPE 4.0. I will really appreciate this.

The AOMEI Partition Assistant appears to be exact copy of EaseUS Partition Master. What is your views on this?

Best regards,

Mohamed

15. Jim1cor13

16. JoeBlack40

Hi Jim :)
    I have to finish Dead Space 1,two more chapters,that's why i didn't try ADB yet.I have to finish that game...!!:D :D
    A good weekend to you too and to all,of course.

17. Jim1cor13

Sounds good Joe! I hope you win my friend. :) At least you seem to have got rid of that meteorite that almost hit us LOL ;-)

I have a friend that is a big gamer. Spends hours playing WOW online.

Enjoy the game!

Jim

18. andylau

You can use WinBuilder to build a custom WinPE
    -http://theoven.org/index.php?topic=438.0-
    OR
    -http://reboot.pro/-

-------------------------------------------------------

AOMEI Partition Assistant, MiniTool Partition Wizard and EaseUS Partition Master are a lot of similarities. But I really do not know their relationship.

19. guest

guest Guest

20. JoeBlack40

Already posted by andylau,few posts before yours.
    Ok,finish my game and tried Aomei Backuper.Short story:20 gigs amount of data,hot backup-8 1/2 min and restore-10 min.The backup issue was totally resolved, congratulations to the Aomei team.All i can say is yes,it's a keeper for me.
    PS.After i'll install my security software,i'll try the incremental and differential backup function to see how it works.

Last edited: Feb 18, 2013
  21. aladdin

aladdin Registered Member

Dear Jim,

Thank you for the above information. Here is what TreeHouse has posted that their Backup uses the same format as Active@ Disk Image:

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?p=2191947#post2191947

The above is good news, as I am allergic to EaseUS imaging products.

Hope you are doing great my friend and enjoying your life.

Best regards,

Mohamed

22. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

salaam Mohamed.

apologies for creating new thread (search brought up no results).

just to clarify, Active@ and AOMEI only share the same file format name, i am still researching as to whether they share the same engine/coding.

i will post report back if i can get a clear answer

23. andylau

treehouse786,

The same extension does not mean they are using the same format

I think Active@ Disk Image and and AOMEI Data Backuper do not have any relationship.

If you are currently using Active@ Disk Image, you need not to change to AOMEI Data Backuper.

24. treehouse786

treehouse786 Registered Member

hi andy, that is the exact point i was trying to make in my previous post

25. MacsGenius

MacsGenius Registered Member

the *.adi means 'AOMEI Data Image' or 'AOMEI Disk Image' or something else, i guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.