AOL Active Virus Shield VS

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by JerryM, Feb 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. the insider

the insider Registered Member

I would go for AVS ... like someone said : it's Kaspersky for free. AVAST! is my second choice : good but a bit heavy on resources. :cool:

2. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

What about the updating now? Is it still using AOL servers and not Kaspersky's like before?

3. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Yes, because will protect you against some exploits... ;)

4. srinat

srinat Registered Member

AOL is just mirroring the updates to reduce traffic on kaspersky servers.There is no need to worry as the updates are at the same pace.I update once per hour.AVS automatically switches to kaspersky labs servers if two attempts to connect with aol servers doesn't work. :D

5. srinat

srinat Registered Member

As AVS has only file and mail av,avs may not get the MPs
    (maintenance packs) released for KAV 6 but it will still get the updates for file and mail av scanners.Another thing.If AVS is going to be made vista compatible,then they'll definitely have to issue an MP for AVS.This info regarding MPs has been given(not clearly)in the kaspersky labs forums.I use AVS and am expecting an MP too.;)

6. srinat

srinat Registered Member

AVS also protects against exploits.It may not have web av but the file av scans your browser cache.Any exploit must reach your computer to use loopholes in the programs. So as soon as the exploit reaches your computer,file av module of AVS detects it.I am telling this because AVS has detected many exploits in my pc while browsing a web page itself.VRDB generation for backup is where avast stands out from AVS.But AVS is still better.

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

you should read how http scanners work and even if the file av detects the exploit it cant stop if i remember the post from an antivirus expert awhile ago
    lodore

8. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

this can be easily overcome.
    1)use FF+noscript or just opera. file av wil lblock access to that file and opera can't load it.
    Test case.
    try downloading eicar.txt from the eicar homepage with web av disabled using all 3 browsers.
    firefox & IEwill manage to load the text file with no alert from kav (kav will alert after it's loaded), but opera won't , at least on my rig

9. srinat

srinat Registered Member

I use opera and this sounds good.I have one doubt.How can a .txt file contain virus?Also could you tell me any free av with web av that runs alongside AVS?

Last edited: Feb 15, 2007
  10. srinat

srinat Registered Member

I agree.:thumb:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.